Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KelleyHoosh

Who would you hire to replace CTC?

[quote name="IUfan_Charlie" post="62769" timestamp="1398474217"]He's gonna rail us.. lol Yogi will have no chance on defense. [/quote]

I don't know anything about their lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us stick someone else on him. Maybe Troy or Stan. Idk. But I don't think Yogi would get torched a whole lot more than the majority of guys in the country if he had to guard Mudiay.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't know anything about their lineup, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us stick someone else on him. Maybe Troy or Stan. Idk. But I don't think Yogi would get torched a whole lot more than the majority of guys in the country if he had to guard Mudiay.

Thing with that is that they have an All American 6'6 SG too... and Yogi is almost 6' shorter as well, Mudiay is like John Wall 2.0

[quote name="IUfan_Charlie" post="62772" timestamp="1398474562"]Thing with that is that they have an All American 6'6 SG too...[/quote]

That poses a problem. Looks like Yogi on Mudiay or go to a zone.

It is worth noting that a lot of people credit Brown's staff with doing a lot of the work with the team, probably more so than you would normally see with assistant coaches. I'm with djsalway that I'd be kind of opposed to getting Brown here if for nothing else his age is a huge factor. I know specifically his top assistant is credited with doing a good amount of the head coaching stuff, since the thought process is he is being groomed to take over for Brown eventually

Another name that strikes me as interesting is Mike Lonergan from George Washington. In 21 years (3 diff schools) he's posted like a 413-197 record and has good ties to the DC area. Probably seems like a long shot but this is a guy I am going to keep an eye on. The majority of his roster is from the DMV.

I havent posted anybody on this thread because I cant think of anybody yet but maybe somebody with the guts to get control over the players would b a start. I hope crean mans up and starts acting like this indiana in his words and gets the players to act like it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

Thing with that is that they have an All American 6'6 SG too... and Yogi is almost 6' shorter as well, Mudiay is like John Wall 2.0

That is John Wall 2.0 as a Freshman in his first month of the season.  It took John Wall a little time to be John Wall.  By March?  Sure, he would probably be tough as hell.  November/December?  Flashes at best.  It takes time to adapt to the speed.  Every top prospect sees that every year.  Yogi as a Junior has been there done that.  I think he can at least hold his own.  I guarantee Mudiay will not have played someone as fast as Yogi that makes him move like Yogi will.  Guess we will see.  

Edit:  I have seen him play.  Not sure that matters, but Yogi will be on Mudiay if we play man.  I see us playing a lot of zone with our lack of bigs and height.  Cannot afford to get our bigs in foul trouble.  

I could see going for the younger Pitino if he has a lot of success. To be honest though, I'd really like Sean Miller

Already tried with Miller.  No way we get him out of Arizona.  He owns west of the Mississippi.  

Agreed. The sooner the better. Its sickening to watch Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc hire these great coaches while we get stuck with guys like Crean, Sampson and Davis. smh

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahaahah. Oh man. Hilarious.

You know why we end up with coaches like Crean, Sampson, and Davis? Because we fire coaches in public spectacles for totally minor things after turning our back on serious serious issues, we hire coaches because they're part of an institutional tradition rather than because they're successes and fire them the moment they start to falter, and THEN we put winning above anything even when someone has a history of bad behavior because the fan base cannot handle losing. After the fans and head office turn their heads on a team that is obviously crumbling for years because they like winning right up until things become public and undeniable then they desperately look for someone who wants to be handed a program in disarray, under sanction, and a losing record.

Finally, after that coach begins to pull the program out of the gutter, he has a bad season and the fan base calls for his head. Demanding it "Now! No more chances!"

Why oh why do you think that ANY great coach would want to come here right now? Be handed the program full of angry fans and lose their recruits, play a couple of losing seasons and then get run out of town again. That sounds awesome, who wouldn't want it?

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahaahah. Oh man. Hilarious.

You know why we end up with coaches like Crean, Sampson, and Davis? Because we fire coaches in public spectacles for totally minor things after turning our back on serious serious issues, we hire coaches because they're part of an institutional tradition rather than because they're successes and fire them the moment they start to falter, and THEN we put winning above anything even when someone has a history of bad behavior because the fan base cannot handle losing. After the fans and head office turn their heads on a team that is obviously crumbling for years because they like winning right up until things become public and undeniable then they desperately look for someone who wants to be handed a program in disarray, under sanction, and a losing record.

Finally, after that coach begins to pull the program out of the gutter, he has a bad season and the fan base calls for his head. Demanding it "Now! No more chances!"

Why oh why do you think that ANY great coach would want to come here right now? Be handed the program full of angry fans and lose their recruits, play a couple of losing seasons and then get run out of town again. That sounds awesome, who wouldn't want it?

So you're solution is to let a mediocre coach hold the program hostage?  His history shows it's probably not going to get any better, which isn't and shouldn't be good enough.  We're seen as a blue blood that's struggling to hang on, if you let him hold the program hostage it will just take us further from where we should be.

We have everything we need to be successful except a coach, and we need a coach not a salesman.

So you're solution is to let a mediocre coach hold the program hostage?  His history shows it's probably not going to get any better, which isn't and shouldn't be good enough.  We're seen as a blue blood that's struggling to hang on, if you let him hold the program hostage it will just take us further from where we should be.

We have everything we need to be successful except a coach, and we need a coach not a salesman.

Hold the program hostage? Because of a single bad year? If we do better this year are we still held hostage? We aren't the Cubs, the world isn't ending, and without a crystal ball you have no idea the conversation we'll be having twelve months from now. Saying we have to fire the coach right now and demanding that we replace him with the next Coach K is blind. The coaches that people think will be improvements will not be knocking down our door.

We won't have everything we need after we show the salesman who brought all of these kids in the door. JBJ? RJ? MH? YF? TW? You think they are here just because of the name on the jersey or because they were recruited into this program by this coach? Do you honestly believe they'd all stay if Glass dismissed Crean tomorrow? Unless the "everything" that we have is Cook Hall and a 30-year-old arena. They'll probably still be around. Heck, big budgets for a salary won't even sill be a piece we have after that buy-out. Are there any coaches secretly holding a "will work for pride" sign?

And go back and read through this thread and make a list of the "dream coaches" that you see being willing to come here after that as well. 

Hold the program hostage? Because of a single bad year? If we do better this year are we still held hostage? We aren't the Cubs, the world isn't ending, and without a crystal ball you have no idea the conversation we'll be having twelve months from now. Saying we have to fire the coach right now and demanding that we replace him with the next Coach K is blind. The coaches that people think will be improvements will not be knocking down our door.

We won't have everything we need after we show the salesman who brought all of these kids in the door. JBJ? RJ? MH? YF? TW? You think they are here just because of the name on the jersey or because they were recruited into this program by this coach? Do you honestly believe they'd all stay if Glass dismissed Crean tomorrow? Unless the "everything" that we have is Cook Hall and a 30-year-old arena. They'll probably still be around. Heck, big budgets for a salary won't even sill be a piece we have after that buy-out. Are there any coaches secretly holding a "will work for pride" sign?

And go back and read through this thread and make a list of the "dream coaches" that you see being willing to come here after that as well. 

I say "hold the program hostage" because if you actually look at Crean's history what we've seen is about what we can expect.  He didn't accomplish a whole lot at Marquette, and did absolutely nothing for 8 of his 9 years there, unless you think a 66% winning percentage is great.  The only thing he's ever done with any consistency is wallow in mediocrity.  If he does that here, and history says he will, then yes he is holding the program hostage because people like you are afraid to make a change.  We should expect more than what Crean has shown he's capable of, that one good year he had at Marquette isn't very reflective of the kind of coach he actually is and even Mike Davis made a Final Four.

BTW, years where his teams aren't NCAA caliber aren't all that unusual with him.

I say "hold the program hostage" because if you actually look at Crean's history what we've seen is about what we can expect.  He didn't accomplish a whole lot at Marquette, and did absolutely nothing for 8 of his 9 years there, unless you think a 66% winning percentage is great.  The only thing he's ever done with any consistency is wallow in mediocrity.  If he does that here, and history says he will, then yes he is holding the program hostage because people like you are afraid to make a change.  We should expect more than what Crean has shown he's capable of, that one good year he had at Marquette isn't very reflective of the kind of coach he actually is and even Mike Davis made a Final Four.

BTW, years where his teams aren't NCAA caliber aren't all that unusual with him.

Mike Davis didn't recruit that team.

Do you honestly believe they'd all stay if Glass dismissed Crean tomorrow?

Crean can be a disappointment all he wants, but show me a plan of how we'll improve getting rid of him today. Our history with coaches that creates an environment no sane coach would want to come into is holding us hostage. And would only be made worse if we fired Crean this off-season.

There is plenty of complain about and tons of problems, but none that are going to fixed by firing Crean today.

Mike Davis didn't recruit that team.

Do you honestly believe they'd all stay if Glass dismissed Crean tomorrow?

Crean can be a disappointment all he wants, but show me a plan of how we'll improve getting rid of him today. Our history with coaches that creates an environment no sane coach would want to come into is holding us hostage. And would only be made worse if we fired Crean this off-season.

The recruits can ask out of their LOI, the school doesn't have to release them.

I didn't say Crean should be fired this off season, but with me he is on a very very short leash.  If he was I certainly wouldn't complain, I'd feel sorry for the next fan base that has to watch him.  

We have that history with coaches because we've made bad hires, with Davis we hired a coach with no experience because he was on the short list the team wanted and with Sampson we were dead set on hiring a minority (he was actually a good coach, he just can't run a program).  Crean was hired to clean up the mess, he did and we're all thankful but the rebuild is over and expectations shifted.  It's no longer "look what he did" it's "what can he do going forward" and history says not much.

Why wallow in mediocrity when we could fire Crean, make a poor choice in the next coach, and then dive straight to the bottom?!  Not only would we have an average coach at best but we would be paying for Crean's buy-out.  I think that would be closer to "holding a program hostage," but I'm not an expert on that.  Simple minds, simple solutions.

Unfortunately, it can get worse. I just hope it doesn't. Crean needs to go. Now. Not after next season. Now.

Agreed. The sooner the better. Its sickening to watch Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc hire these great coaches while we get stuck with guys like Crean, Sampson and Davis. smh

The recruits can ask out of their LOI, the school doesn't have to release them.

I didn't say Crean should be fired this off season, but with me he is on a very very short leash.  If he was I certainly wouldn't complain, I'd feel sorry for the next fan base that has to watch him.  

We have that history with coaches because we've made bad hires, with Davis we hired a coach with no experience because he was on the short list the team wanted and with Sampson we were dead set on hiring a minority (he was actually a good coach, he just can't run a program).  Crean was hired to clean up the mess, he did and we're all thankful but the rebuild is over and expectations shifted.  It's no longer "look what he did" it's "what can he do going forward" and history says not much.

Schools that don't let kids out when they dramatically fire their coaches end up in disrepute with kids parents in the future who don't want their kids to be in that situation. Especially schools moving on to their 4th coach in 15 years who didn't make it to the end of their contract.

You didn't say that he should be fired today, but the initial comment I replied to any the entire premise of all my comments has been based on the people saying that he should be fired today. I don't disagree with his seat heating up after another bad season, but that wasn't the comment I replied to.

And we make bad hires because we have a bad reputation with the coaches. No one wants to be the next sacrificial lamb.

Who are your picks who you think would actually come here if Crean were fired this weekend?

Why wallow in mediocrity when we could fire Crean, make a poor choice in the next coach, and then dive straight to the bottom?!  Not only would we have an average coach at best but we would be paying for Crean's buy-out.  I think that would be closer to "holding a program hostage," but I'm not an expert on that.  Simple minds, simple solutions.

His buy-out, the new coach's salary, the new coach's buy-out (if he's a decent coach). Sure seems like a stupid way to waste 20 million dollars. Spending that money on Assembly Hall would net us longer term results right now if we were desperate to throw it away.