Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DocLibby

Hoosiers and Their Fans Must Forgive, Forget … and Fight on to the Finish

I knew that my little side comment about athletes getting paid would rustle some feathers. I plan on addressing it in my blog one day. Thank you, everyone for your positive feedback. As you know I'm new at this but as you can see I love writing. Thanks for reading. I'm sure there are a hundred other things you could be doing/reading Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I knew that my little side comment about athletes getting paid would rustle some feathers. I plan on addressing it in my blog one day. Thank you, everyone for your positive feedback. As you know I'm new at this but as you can see I love writing. Thanks for reading. I'm sure there are a hundred other things you could be doing/reading Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ya know, it's kinda strange. I think the problem with college football and basketball players not getting paid is the system whereby they are the major feeders to the big money at the highest level.

There's one big money sport that has few of these issues; baseball, where the primary feeder to the big pro money is a paid minor league.

I'm not really offering a solution , I guess. Just saying that unless the D-league gets some major traction, this system is inherently flawed.

Ya know, it's kinda strange. I think the problem with college football and basketball players not getting paid is the system whereby they are the major feeders to the big money at the highest level.

There's one big money sport that has few of these issues; baseball, where the primary feeder to the big pro money is a paid minor league.

I'm not really offering a solution , I guess. Just saying that unless the D-league gets some major traction, this system is inherently flawed.

The problem with baseball might be college baseball.  In basketball and football, you have two money making sports.  You get familiar with the players and they step in right away.  If we all followed college baseball, we wouldn't hear from the kids after they leave for usually 3 years.  Hell, Kris Bryant the best college bat in a few years will spend 2 years in the minors.  I think that has honestly hurt baseball since we have become a society where we want things now.  The average age of the baseball fan is getting older and older.  I do like the concept of either coming straight out of high school, or waiting 2 years.  If Silver makes them stay until they are 20, things could also become interesting.  A team like IU who can recruit would benefit.  A team like Kentucky will still be damn good, but they would get less players, because less turnover.  Those players we are in deep with the Dukes, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas down the line will look harder at us with that rule change that is probable.  

[quote name="mdn82" post="38700" timestamp="1392432132"]The problem with baseball might be college baseball. In basketball and football, you have two money making sports. You get familiar with the players and they step in right away. If we all followed college baseball, we wouldn't hear from the kids after they leave for usually 3 years. Hell, Kris Bryant the best college bat in a few years will spend 2 years in the minors. I think that has honestly hurt baseball since we have become a society where we want things now. The average age of the baseball fan is getting older and older. I do like the concept of either coming straight out of high school, or waiting 2 years. If Silver makes them stay until they are 20, things could also become interesting. A team like IU who can recruit would benefit. A team like Kentucky will still be damn good, but they would get less players, because less turnover. Those players we are in deep with the Dukes, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas down the line will look harder at us with that rule change that is probable. [/quote] Actually rumors are that Bryant will come up a couple months into this season from what I've read. Can't wait to see what he can do. Edit: I do see what you're saying. I was just being technical about Bryant.

Actually rumors are that Bryant will come up a couple months into this season from what I've read. Can't wait to see what he can do. Edit: I do see what you're saying. I was just being technical about Bryant.

I hope on Bryant.  I am a huge Cubs fan.  Damn Jayboob is a Cards fan.  But, I would be shocked if he came up earlier than September.  Even then, I would be surprised.  If they hold him down past July, they will gain another year of control.  If they aren't doing anything, and they hold him until September, I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't come up until next July for the same reason.  I think Baez comes up this year.  Alcantara will as well.  Almora is 2 years out.  I think of the big 4, Soler will be the bust.  Cubs just don't have the top pitching in their system needed to compete with the Cardinals, even if most of their bats pan out.  Even if they go arm in the 1st round this year, I see eventually Castro getting traded for arms.  Shark will get traded as well.  IMO

^^^^^  If Bryant has a Baez-like year this year, I don't see how they hold him down though.  He had a great year through the levels he played last year.  I think after Almora, he is our surest prospect.  I think Baez will have too much swing and miss to do what he did last year in the majors.  I think Bryant will be the man once he gets there.  I hope.  I am a Cubs fan.  That is all I ever have.  

[quote name="mdn82" post="38717" timestamp="1392434182"]I hope on Bryant. I am a huge Cubs fan. Damn Jayboob is a Cards fan. But, I would be shocked if he came up earlier than September. Even then, I would be surprised. If they hold him down past July, they will gain another year of control. If they aren't doing anything, and they hold him until September, I wouldn't be surprised if he wouldn't come up until next July for the same reason. I think Baez comes up this year. Alcantara will as well. Almora is 2 years out. I think of the big 4, Soler will be the bust. Cubs just don't have the top pitching in their system needed to compete with the Cardinals, even if most of their bats pan out. Even if they go arm in the 1st round this year, I see eventually Castro getting traded for arms. Shark will get traded as well. IMO[/quote]

Awesome. Found a Cubs fan. Not a huge baseball fan, but I keep up enough. I've just been reading Bleacher Report articles and I've been seeing Bryant is on a fast track. I think Baez will dominate when he gets comfortable. Soler will be interesting because he is a physical beast. I'm really interested in Mike Olt. He could be huge, but he has that eye issue.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Awesome. Found a Cubs fan. Not a huge baseball fan, but I keep up enough. I've just been reading Bleacher Report articles and I've been seeing Bryant is on a fast track. I think Baez will dominate when he gets comfortable. Soler will be interesting because he is a physical beast. I'm really interested in Mike Olt. He could be huge, but he has that eye issue.

Completely agreed.  Two sites that are as essential as this one to the Hoosier fan for the Cub fan are Bleachernation and Cubs Den.  Brett Taylor from Bleachernation does a fantastic job with his daily articles.  He is saber friendly, as well as lays out the information why he feels the way he does.  He gives the FO the benefit of the doubt usually, but questions things when they don't make sense.  John Arguello from Cubs Den has a guy named Tom Loxas who I check in on Twitter.  Those dudes are great for information, but pat themselves on the back with every article.  That gets kind of annoying.  I would say BN is the best of the Cubs Blogs.  He does this thing at the trade deadline, usually for a great cause, where he covers for over 30 hours straight.  Entire MLB trade deadline.  He puts rumors, trades, and just everything out there.  It is great.  Last year, they got a lot of money donated to Make-A-Wish, and that was the goal to get him to go for hours straight.  He is a good dude.  

[quote name="mdn82" post="38726" timestamp="1392436918"]Completely agreed. Two sites that are as essential as this one to the Hoosier fan for the Cub fan are Bleachernation and Cubs Den. Brett Taylor from Bleachernation does a fantastic job with his daily articles. He is saber friendly, as well as lays out the information why he feels the way he does. He gives the FO the benefit of the doubt usually, but questions things when they don't make sense. John Arguello from Cubs Den has a guy named Tom Loxas who I check in on Twitter. Those dudes are great for information, but pat themselves on the back with every article. That gets kind of annoying. I would say BN is the best of the Cubs Blogs. He does this thing at the trade deadline, usually for a great cause, where he covers for over 30 hours straight. Entire MLB trade deadline. He puts rumors, trades, and just everything out there. It is great. Last year, they got a lot of money donated to Make-A-Wish, and that was the goal to get him to go for hours straight. He is a good dude. [/quote]

Cubs have been horrible for 100+ years plus this is not a baseball thread. Only 2 things worse than a Cubs fan, an UK fan or Purdue fan. Choose wisely or forever suck!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using BtownBanners mobile app

My question for DocLibby is, why did PSU want it more?

Our coach and three best players were the primary causes of a lot of what went wrong. I cannot comprehend how that happens. Lack of focus, effort and heart by the guys we have to count on.

I saw a look on Yogis face at the end of the Wisconsin game that told me, this guy isn't going to back down, he is going to will us to victory; I didn't see that look/desire against PSU.

Cubs have been horrible for 100+ years plus this is not a baseball thread. Only 2 things worse than a Cubs fan, an UK fan or Purdue fan. Choose wisely or forever suck!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using BtownBanners mobile app

Lol, damn Cub haters.  You can lock the thread my man….  Let me guess.  White Sox or Cardinal fan?  

Does it matter? Either way  its despicable. :cheese:

Lol, wanted to know if I was getting shanked on the South Side, or a beer thrown at my head.  Man, I am glad it is that time of year.  The Cubs are going to blow again.  I know this.  They will for the next couple of years, but it is the first time in about 10 years I was optimistic about the future.  

Lol, wanted to know if I was getting shanked on the South Side, or a beer thrown at my head.  Man, I am glad it is that time of year.  The Cubs are going to blow again.  I know this.  They will for the next couple of years, but it is the first time in about 10 years I was optimistic about the future.  

If we ever meet up you're getting a beer thrown at your head. Don't worry, I'll throw an Old Style. I won't waste a good beer on you. GO CARDS! 

[quote name="mdn82" post="38907" timestamp="1392489243"]Lol, wanted to know if I was getting shanked on the South Side, or a beer thrown at my head. Man, I am glad it is that time of year. The Cubs are going to blow again. I know this. They will for the next couple of years, but it is the first time in about 10 years I was optimistic about the future. [/quote]

All we have is hope. And that's better than blind faith. Us sucking doesn't even hurt anymore. It just gives us an easier comeback when other fans make fun of us. You have to own the suck.

Does it matter? Either way  its despicable. :cheese:

LOL at Cubs fans thinking they have it bad. At least you make the playoffs occasionally. It's been almost three decades since my Royals made the playoffs. We've only had three winning seasons in the last 20 years. We haven't finished higher than 3rd in 24 years.

LOL at Cubs fans thinking they have it bad. At least you make the playoffs occasionally. It's been almost three decades since my Royals made the playoffs. We've only had three winning seasons in the last 20 years. We haven't finished higher than 3rd in 24 years.

Ha. We might make the playoffs once a decade, but we know ain't nothing going to happen because of that goat.

[quote name="Rayl" post="38912" timestamp="1392489475"]LOL at Cubs fans thinking they have it bad. At least you make the playoffs occasionally. It's been almost three decades since my Royals made the playoffs. We've only had three winning seasons in the last 20 years. We haven't finished higher than 3rd in 24 years.[/quote] At least the Royals have been competitive, the Cubs suck they make baseball even worse and when was the last time KC won it all