Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I'm not trying to be facetious... 

Ryan Conwell--- FR season-- .92PPP on Spot up opps-- 50th percentile... shot 30% from 3. 

That's not good and against AAC competition 

35 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Per the NCAA website, only 3 freshman were in the top 100 in regards to 3 point shooting percentage this past season. Sheppard was #1 at over 52%. The other 2 guys were ranked in the 80’s at around 35%. Neither of them were on P5 teams.

Good points and reaasonable arguments. But nothing says IU has to get someone coming off his Freshman year either. I wouldn't have liked Conwell last year, most likely. Was that "wrong"? No, he had something to prove, not me. Fortunately he did and now I want him! 

One of the advantages of the portal is you can look at proven college results. I won't beat it to death, there are valid points either way, but my strong preference would be to bring in someone that has demonstrated a skill rather than the potential to achieve it. Carlyle has some existing strengths and possibly could get better in other areas, I don't think that is the right fit for what IU needs. We'll see what happens. 

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rice and KC also get to the line at a good rate. Both shot 4 FTs per game. As a reference-- TG only shot 2.4. 

AS long as they make them LOL.  I have never seen an IU team as bad as we have been at FT's the past 2 or 3 years.  

12 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Good points and reaasonable arguments. But nothing says IU has to get someone coming off his Freshman year either. I wouldn't have liked Conwell last year, most likely. Was that "wrong"? No, he had something to prove, not me. Fortunately he did and now I want him! 

One of the advantages of the portal is you can look at proven college results. I won't beat it to death, there are valid points either way, but my strong preference would be to bring in someone that has demonstrated a skill rather than the potential to achieve it. Carlyle has some existing strengths and possibly could get better in other areas, I don't think that is the right fit for what IU needs. We'll see what happens. 

IU is still looking at proven 3 point shooters in Humrichous and Hickman. But even as respectable shooters, neither of them have the overall games as Rice.... and Carlyle looked pretty good despite having to sit out the first month and a half of the season. The upside of Rice and Carlyle are extrememly high, and Rice was a pretty damn good proven player as a first year guy. 

12 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

AS long as they make them LOL.  I have never seen an IU team as bad as we have been at FT's the past 2 or 3 years.  

They shot 78 and 81% from the line last year, so that's a positive.  Ballo, though, is a horrible free throw shooter.  He would counted on for other things.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not to be that guy, but if Rice and Carlyle WERE to commit to IU, could see Cupps enter the portal.  Would make sense for him to considering Rice and Carlyle each have the potential of being at IU for three more years + Galloway coming back this year.

I would hope he would see it as a way to get better and not to run away.  Coaches' kids typically want to push themselves.  

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not to be that guy, but if Rice and Carlyle WERE to commit to IU, could see Cupps enter the portal.  Would make sense for him to considering Rice and Carlyle each have the potential of being at IU for three more years + Galloway coming back this year.

Wouldn't bother me at all. 

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

They shot 78 and 81% from the line last year, so that's a positive.  Ballo, though, is a horrible free throw shooter.  He would counted on for other things.

So, what you're saying is Ballo is a done deal to IU then.   LOL

16 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

But it should be mentioned that Rice and Carlyle are both better known quantities after their freshman year than Conwell was.  They have less to prove than Conwell did after playing at South Florida.

3 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

I would hope he would see it as a way to get better and not to run away.  Coaches' kids typically want to push themselves.  

He could but he would literally likely be fourth at the point guard spot next year and third the next

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That was me.  The optics of it blow along with their burner boy Tyme talking **** all over Twitter.  You can check my history, I have said we will get players and that the things happening right now are the least important things.  We win the offseason like every year around here.  Every year. 

"Yes!  We landed Romeo, watch out Purdue *******!!11"

"We got TJD, the wins are going to start rolling in now!"

"Huge get landing Lander, just the PG we have been needing."

"Add JHS and Reneau to this experience group of guys and we are going to be making noise"  (This was the closest to coming true but was still like a double digit loss team that got spanked in the tournament's second round by Miami."

"Wow, we landed Kel-El Ware...if he shows out and getting X back with Cupps and the others, we are going to have a tournament team.  Wish we would have got another guard though..."

These guys look like upgrades.  Great, I am happy we are landing players.  Can you true fans tell me what kind of expectations I am allowed to have next year then?

how did you pick my brain like that. i don't like you posting my thoughts over the past years.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He could but he would literally likely be fourth at the point guard spot next year and third the next

Maybe Woodson is planning on going to a 'true' NBA rotation of 10 players. I don't watch the NBA, do they rotate 10 ??

10 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

But it should be mentioned that Rice and Carlyle are both better known quantities after their freshman year than Conwell was.  They have less to prove than Conwell did after playing at South Florida.

Carlyle outperformed Conwell by a WIDE margin, if you're comparing their FR seasons. 

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Or welcome the competition and get better to move into spot 2.  That's the thing about kids who like to work and get better.  I am not sure he is just saying a coach's son typically does not back down.  

Just now, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Rice, KC visit is next weekend 

Payne, Hickman and Ballo are all on campus this weekend, right.   Rice has not set a date yet that I have seen.