Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There’s zero chance a guy with Mike Woodson’s ego voluntarily steps aside. The only person/thing he cares about is himself. 

Exactly!!! He’s leaving kicking and screaming!!!

I think this season has one of two options. We're really good or the wheels fall off. I have my opinion on what will happen. Then we will see how things go. 
The boosters brought in way too much talent for the wheels to fall off. The boosters saved Woodson for probably several more years

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Obligatory Mullins Thought-- I in no way was surprised by a kid committing to the coach of the back-to-back national champions over MW, Indiana kid or no, nothing remotely shocking about that. Him committing to IU over UCONN would have been far more shocking IMO. 

Throw your tinfoil hat on here: I almost am buying that some of the NIL transfer support for this season was deliberate to create a "golden parachute" coaching situation for Woody to exit gracefully. The longer this has gone on, I tend to agree with @Stuhoo the optics (as much as I would have preferred to rip the band aid and hire Dusty) would simply be awful forcing Woody out. I am hoping everyone involved just wanted to avoid that, send him off with a marginally successful season (early tourney exit, decent B1G showing), and prevent the negative press by pumping absurd money into the transfer portal.

Maybe I have smoked enough Coach Cigs this football season and it has replaced the basketball angst. Could also be the indica. 

17 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

The boosters brought in way too much talent for the wheels to fall off. The boosters saved Woodson for probably several more years

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Sometimes when you’re just collecting a check and things don’t go your way the wheels fall off.

5 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Obligatory Mullins Thought-- I in no way was surprised by a kid committing to the coach of the back-to-back national champions over MW, Indiana kid or no, nothing remotely shocking about that. Him committing to IU over UCONN would have been far more shocking IMO. 

Throw your tinfoil hat on here: I almost am buying that some of the NIL transfer support for this season was deliberate to create a "golden parachute" coaching situation for Woody to exit gracefully. The longer this has gone on, I tend to agree with @Stuhoo the optics (as much as I would have preferred to rip the band aid and hire Dusty) would simply be awful forcing Woody out. I am hoping everyone involved just wanted to avoid that, send him off with a marginally successful season (early tourney exit, decent B1G showing), and prevent the negative press by pumping absurd money into the transfer portal.

Maybe I have smoked enough Coach Cigs this football season and it has replaced the basketball angst. Could also be the indica. 

I understand this football season has me feeling the same way. We have 3 couples coming in to town for the game staying at our house. Everyone has kids at IU. I started tonight to the dismay of my better half. Go Hoosiers!! 

10 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Sometimes when you’re just collecting a check and things don’t go your way the wheels fall off.

They certainly went bouncing into a ditch on the drive through Brown County last year, but I think with a down B1G and the talent assembled it would be an all-time terrible coaching job to not stay mostly ranked and win a decent amount of games this season. 

36 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

They certainly went bouncing into a ditch on the drive through Brown County last year, but I think with a down B1G and the talent assembled it would be an all-time terrible coaching job to not stay mostly ranked and win a decent amount of games this season. 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think that this roster is *that* talented. And I don't think the talent that has been assembled is particularly well-tailored to play with one another. Undoubtedly the roster has more dynamic guards than last year, but Rice and Carlyle largely feature overlapping skillsets, so they aren't really complementary pieces in my mind. And then it appears that Mgbako is going to be penciled in at the 3, even though it seems clear he's better at the 4, in order to once again allow Reneau to play out of position at the 4.

Sure, Rice and Carlyle will be able to take more guys off the dribble than the backcourt last year. But whenever Reneau and Ballo are on the court together, the guards are going to run into a lot of congestion once they get to the paint. Aside from Goode, we haven't while added any lockdown shooters for the new guards to dish to when they do break the defense down. I know people are hopeful Rice and Carlyle's 3 pt. shooting % will improve significantly from last year, that is hardly a guarantee.

And we haven't even gotten to Woodson's shortcomings coaching on the defensive end.

So while I'd be happy to be wrong, I just don't see the high ceiling many of you do for this roster, especially with this coaching staff. I think that a top 30-40 finish and a 12-8 B1G record are much more likely than a B1G Championship or Final Four run. And while that would certainly be an improvement over last year, I don't think that would be anyone's idea of a successful season. Again, hope I'm wrong, though!

6 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think that this roster is *that* talented. And I don't think the talent that has been assembled is particularly well-tailored to play with one another. Undoubtedly the roster has more dynamic guards than last year, but Rice and Carlyle largely feature overlapping skillsets, so they aren't reqlly complementary pieces in my mind. And then it appears that Mgbako is going to be penciled in at the 3, even though it seems clear he's better at the 4, in order to once again allow Reneau to play out of position at the 4.

Sure, Rice and Carlyle will be able to take more guys off the dribble than the backcourt last year. But whenever Reneau and Ballo are on the court together, the guards are going to run into a lot of congestion once they get to the paint. Aside from Goode, we haven't while added any lockdown shooters for the new guards to dish to when they do break the defense down. I know people are hopeful Rice and Carlyle's 3 pt. shooting % will improve significantly from last year, that is hardly a guarantee.

And we haven't even gotten to Woodson's shortcomings coaching on the defensive end.

So while I'd be happy to be wrong, I just don't see the high ceiling many of you do for this roster, especially with this coaching staff. I think that a top 30-40 finish and a 12-8 B1G record are much more likely than a B1G Championship or Final Four run. And while that would certainly be an improvement over last year, I don't think that would be anyone's idea of a successful season. Again, hope I'm wrong, though!

With most publications, predictions and fans think this roster is the best Woodson has assembled in his time at IU and they think they either are the best team or 2nd best team in the B10.  If what you are saying is correct, then this team underachieves and Woodson most likely will be out as coach.  I honestly think this is potentially the best team assembled in quite some time and the only thing that holds them back from a top 3 finish in the B10, final 4 appearance in the B10 tournament, a top 3 or 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, and a 2nd weekend appearance in the NCAA Tourney is Mike Woodson!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think that this roster is *that* talented. And I don't think the talent that has been assembled is particularly well-tailored to play with one another. Undoubtedly the roster has more dynamic guards than last year, but Rice and Carlyle largely feature overlapping skillsets, so they aren't reqlly complementary pieces in my mind. And then it appears that Mgbako is going to be penciled in at the 3, even though it seems clear he's better at the 4, in order to once again allow Reneau to play out of position at the 4.

Counter.

Ballo is a top 5, 5.

Reneau is a top 10, 4.

Mgbako is a top 20, 3-4.

Rice is a top 10-15, 1.

Goode is a legit 3 point shooter.

Galloway can be a winner. Tucker seems like a real deal McD AA.

People like Carlyle. I wasn’t impressed in the scrimmage. I’m wait and see. Cupps is meh. Leal is playable, underrated bench guy.

Hatton Impressed me at HH. I don’t expect much but he’s got some game.

Newton?

Our top 8 talent is really good. But then you’ve got Woodson at the helm and let’s see if winning is what is most important to these cats.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

21 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think that this roster is *that* talented. And I don't think the talent that has been assembled is particularly well-tailored to play with one another. Undoubtedly the roster has more dynamic guards than last year, but Rice and Carlyle largely feature overlapping skillsets, so they aren't really complementary pieces in my mind. And then it appears that Mgbako is going to be penciled in at the 3, even though it seems clear he's better at the 4, in order to once again allow Reneau to play out of position at the 4.

On no planet do I think we make a FF and I think the odds of a B1G title are very slim. When I said "win a decent amount of games", I was more referring to what you said. I expect us to stay mostly around the top-25 and be a few games over .500 in the B1G and comfortably in the tournament. This roster on paper is very talented. 

A more succinct version of what I was getting at is I expect this season to look a lot more like year 2 versus year 3 of the Mike Woodson hobby job. 

58 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Meh, the “optics” point is always overblown. Losing two in-state 5 star recruits within a month is bad optics too. The media’s always gonna media. You can’t let the fear of bad optics paralyze you into keeping a middling coach longer than you should keep him. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

No my friend.

While that would fit the narrative of some, he will retire gracefully.

I hope you are right for everyone’s sake but I don’t see it!  I’ve been wrong more times than I care to count and I hope I’m wrong for this issue.  

8 hours ago, IU Prof said:

I think your opinion of the pieces would be higher if you had more respect for the head guy's ability to use them properly.  This is a good roster.

8 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Meh, the “optics” point is always overblown. Losing two in-state 5 star recruits within a month is bad optics too. The media’s always gonna media. You can’t let the fear of bad optics paralyze you into keeping a middling coach longer than you should keep him. 

It's honestly amazing, and a bit ridiculous, how much this fanbase worries about optics. I've never seen anything close to it anywhere else. 

Imagine how much different the vibes would be if IU had signed Dusty May and Curt Cignetti in the same offseason. Would definitely have made me feel better about the direction of IUBB past this season. Don’t think our fans could be more pumped coming off this football season.

10 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Counter.

Ballo is a top 5, 5.

Reneau is a top 10, 4.

Mgbako is a top 20, 3-4.

Rice is a top 10-15, 1.

Goode is a legit 3 point shooter.

Galloway can be a winner. Tucker seems like a real deal McD AA.

People like Carlyle. I wasn’t impressed in the scrimmage. I’m wait and see. Cupps is meh. Leal is playable, underrated bench guy.

Hatton Impressed me at HH. I don’t expect much but he’s got some game.

Newton?

Our top 8 talent is really good. But then you’ve got Woodson at the helm and let’s see if winning is what is most important to these cats.

players

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I think the tint on your Crimson colored glasses may be a bit thick. Carlyle and Mgbako are borderline top 50 NBA draft prospects, maybe top 35-40 if you take out foreign players and no one else cracks top 100. It's a better roster, it should be for all the millions spent, but a lot is based on a  projected large improvement in shooting assisted by a coaching staff with a history of not being able to improve  shooting.  What could go wrong?