Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

This works for me. Other than year 3 we would have been on track right? HoosierAloha seems to have thought we should have been on a far more aggressive schedule 

Yeah, for me we were on track the first 2 years. Year 3 was a massive failure though.

Even then, I was on board with Woodson up until about February. He lost me when he just kept blaming anyone and anything but himself for the results on the court. I was willing to look past a down year, and a terrible style of basketball apparently, but lacking proper accountability was what turned me.

3 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

Yeah, for me we were on track the first 2 years. Year 3 was a massive failure in though.

Even then, I was on board with Woodson up until about February. He lost me when he just kept blaming anyone and anything but himself for the results on the court. I was willing to look past a down year, and a terrible style of basketball apparently, but lacking proper accountability was what turned me.

That and the Rabby stuff had me ready for a change. But seeing how he did not lose any important pieces this offseason made me rethink the Rabby info. Despite us as fans thinking he has been damaging player relationships by throwing them under the bus, he has maintained enough loyalty to keep them.  Sure NIL helped but not if they despised and had given up on him. It even seems as if he got Gallo back (still has him) despite recruiting heavily at his position. 

No doubt year 3 was bad but since he is here for year 4, and has reloaded very well in the portal I can pause thoughts on him as a coach until we see how this year goes. 

12 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

That and the Rabby stuff had me ready for a change. But seeing how he did not lose any important pieces this offseason made me rethink the Rabby info. Despite us as fans thinking he has been damaging player relationships by throwing them under the bus, he has maintained enough loyalty to keep them.  Sure NIL helped but not if they despised and had given up on him. It even seems as if he got Gallo back (still has him) despite recruiting heavily at his position. 

No doubt year 3 was bad but since he is here for year 4, and has reloaded very well in the portal I can pause thoughts on him as a coach until we see how this year goes. 

Sounds like we’re in similar boats although the Rabby stuff didn’t affect my opinion as I was already over the fence once that came out.

I’ll be cheering for the team, and Woodson, to do well this season. The new additions give me hope. The skeptic in me says he’ll find ways to have the team underperform and will still allow lesser teams to torch us from 3 because we “play big” while somehow still being a bad rebounding team and missing our free throws. I’d love nothing more than to be wrong here and to be turned into a “let Woody cook” type by mid season.

16 minutes ago, Juwan Moye said:

Yeah, for me we were on track the first 2 years. Year 3 was a massive failure though.

February?  Lol.

The lack of top-notch point and shooting guards last year was telling even before the season began.  I was hopeful, until December 9 when IU went to Atlanta and lost to Auburn by 28 points.  

The matador defense and lack of resiliency was evident at that point.  Ware folded, no outside shooters...no rebounds...no assists...no free throws...platooning...

The good news is the team did get tougher...didn't give up in lots of games.  But the team could not overcome the roster deficiencies.  At least they did get better, somewhat. 

Guards, creators, shooters, smart players, experience...gotta have em.  Looks like Woody just may be catching lightening in a bottle.  But we will not know until...likely December.   

But with Ballo, will IU be post oriented?  I doubt it.  He is not the scorer TJD or Ware were.  Hope the wings catch fire.  And the perimeter is great.

6 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

February?  Lol.

The lack of top-notch point and shooting guards last year was telling even before the season began.  I was hopeful, until December 9 when IU went to Atlanta and lost to Auburn by 28 points.  

The matador defense and lack of resiliency was evident at that point.  Ware folded, no outside shooters...no rebounds...no assists...no free throws...platooning...

The good news is the team did get tougher...didn't give up in lots of games.  But the team could not overcome the roster deficiencies.  At least they did get better, somewhat. 

Guards, creators, shooters, smart players, experience...gotta have em.  Looks like Woody just may be catching lightening in a bottle.  But we will not know until...likely December.   

But with Ballo, will IU be post oriented?  I doubt it.  He is not the scorer TJD or Ware were.  Hope the wings catch fire.  And the perimeter is great.

What can I say, I was being patient :)

The lack of bad play was obvious in our first few games, and the poorly constructed roster obvious before the season began. But even then I was supportive of Woodson as our coach until February or so, I’m still a homer and just want us to do well. But I jumped on the “ok, he needs to go train” in February when the lack of accountability just kept being more apparent and his hubris was unbearable for me.

20 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

February?  Lol.

I agree with him. I was out on the team with that Auburn loss like you, but I wasn't out on Woody until the Penn State loss. 

He has given me some excitement and hope with the current roster and his recruiting of the '25 kids, but still concerned for sure.

I was not a happy camper going into the season.  Too many holes in the roster.  

Xavier was not the PG that IU should rely on.  Injuries, controversies, maturity, decision-making, 3-point shooting...no way.  Gabe Cupps, as a very young and inexperienced freshman PG is not the way to get the darn ball into play.  

Platooning drove us all crazy.  But I rationalized it as getting experience down the bench and hoping that something floats to the surface.  Lost games, dropped in the ratings because IU did not put points on the board when we did win.  But, until the Auburn game, I thought that something might happen.

I am not concerned about Coach Woodson's post-game interviews and statements.  Yeah, when he said that they needed to work on that and just need to get over the hump...wow.  But they are meaningless.  So is the post-game interviews and statements, normally.

It is about recruiting, development, taking advantage of matchups, flexibility, good sportsmanship, representing Indiana University well, graduating players, winning.

The coaches dropped the ball on recruiting, taking advantage of matchups and winning.  They might have plugged the hole on the recruiting.  The jury is out on matchups and winning.

Just win, baby!

On 4/26/2024 at 7:33 PM, 8bucks said:

Kudos to NGW for being basically the lone voice suggesting there was good reason for optimism for IU. His style can be debatable certainly but props to him/her for knowing and believing in this path. Yeah of course you have to win on the court but you can’t expect to compete next season if you don’t also win the offseason. Everyone basically had us on life support with no hope and now look.  There is hope not only for next year but we also have some talent that could be here a few years. 

I'm sorry I'm not buying this. Everyone that knew we had 6 million to spend knew we would get players. Maybe we have gotten a little better than we thought but it's unsurprising. It was good for the staff to knock one out of the park finally. But to say NGW was the only one who thought we would do this is laughable. 

31 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm sorry I'm not buying this. Everyone that knew we had 6 million to spend knew we would get players. Maybe we have gotten a little better than we thought but it's unsurprising. It was good for the staff to knock one out of the park finally. But to say NGW was the only one who thought we would do this is laughable. 

Ngw was also posting midseason how 'good' IU was when Cupps was on the floor.  He's been optimistic on everything and not sure he should get credit for being optimistic and correct when he never accepted it when he was optimistic and wrong.

He's obviously being fed information by someone in the know right now which is why his tweets are worth looking at.  It certainly isn't for his petty style of keeping receipts.   And he still has misses.  He basically said Essegian was IU's and then once Essegian moved on, he didn't bring it up again.  And Ngw has been pretty radio silent lately.

Here is a number
[/url]  
Bahaha......Dusty May hasn't yet coached a game in the B10. Altman couldn't even develop Ware. Underwood had worse winning % after 3 yrs than CMW. Hoiberg is 63-94 at Nebraska. This is one of those articles you see posted by Babylon Bee, and the replies to the tweet show why.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

10 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

It would depend on the state of the program at the time, would it not? 

To be fair -- and I'm not a Woody fan -- the state of the program when Woodson came in was IU hadn't been to the tournament in forever and almost the whole team had entered the portal.  

9 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Ngw was also posting midseason how 'good' IU was when Cupps was on the floor.  He's been optimistic on everything and not sure he should get credit for being optimistic and correct when he never accepted it when he was optimistic and wrong.

He's obviously being fed information by someone in the know right now which is why his tweets are worth looking at.  It certainly isn't for his petty style of keeping receipts.   And he still has misses.  He basically said Essegian was IU's and then once Essegian moved on, he didn't bring it up again.  And Ngw has been pretty radio silent lately.

I noticed when Ya isn't the lead recruit his info comes in much slower

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

To be fair -- and I'm not a Woody fan -- the state of the program when Woodson came in was IU hadn't been to the tournament in forever and almost the whole team had entered the portal.  

I think that was why everyone was frustrated with Archie because we had talent

14 minutes ago, KNOBYDOX said:

Some people keep saying that he was able to keep 4 players from this season, but their record was 10/10 . Why are they excited about this?

You don't see the huge value in keeping the big ten freshman of the year, a player who was big ten honorable mention as a sophomore, and Trey Galloway? 

OOOOOKAAAAAAYYYYYY then.

34 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agreed.  I thought it was great that he kept TJD and the rest.  Go look at my posts -- I was pumping sunshine.  He was able to stop a "sinking ship."  And stabilized everything with year 2 of TJD.  Even year 3 had some promise -- decent incoming class, landing Ware from the portal.  But then he crashed and burned.  And when I looked at the future it, there was none.  HS recruiting was unsuccessful when after 3 years he should have had a good base.  The portal saved his butt player wise.  But there still really doesn't  appear to be any foundation going forward.    

Yes it should be but quinn I guess was giving him 4 years no matter what.Well they gave him tons of coin to buy this roster so there are no excuses anymore. I don't want to hear about this guy got hurt or whatever if he has a crap season compared to expectations  
Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Year two was an underchievement he gets way to much credit for just making the tourney. They were picked to win the big ten and went 23-12.

I read wisconsin has 2.5 million in NIL so we have 3.5 million more. How many of these guys is Woodson getting with 2.5 million? Money talks period.