Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

Trent Sisley is an Outstanding Hoosier and (2025) SG - to UConn Thread

6 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yes some people who gave NIL money really wanted Mullins in Bloomington. IU offered a lot more money than UCONN, even had some alumni reach out to the family, but not sure Woodson did everything he could. I was told earlier this summer he was recruiting him hard but his hard and Hurley hard might be two different things.

So, have you heard how those people who gave money and wanted Mullins might be interpreting their ROI?  Woody did land a strong portal team and maybe they overlook the HS misses but if we had the better financial package for a local kid and lost out it does say we might not be an attractive enough school for top HS talent. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

No, he hasn’t. 

Sorry, **3 consecutive seasons, Tamar Bates fell just outside the 5* range.

But I digress, Woodson doesn't have an issue getting top high school talent to Bloomington. 

9 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

But I digress, Woodson doesn't have an issue getting top high school talent to Bloomington. 

Right. His issue is with getting the top HS recruits he prioritizes and wants most.

No issue accepting a commitment from top talent that becomes available late in the cycle and needs to make a quick decision. Hardly attribute his spring 5 star trend as recruiting “wins” for Woody as much as they’re convenient relationships based on circumstances having little to do with Woody personally. When they have time to reflect on their available opportunities, they rarely pick IU and this staff. Long term recruitments don’t matter as much anymore, sure… why waste resources then… sure it’s all part of their master plan. 

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Right. His issue is with getting the top HS recruits he prioritizes and wants most.

No issue accepting a commitment from top talent that becomes available late in the cycle and needs to make a quick decision. Hardly attribute his spring 5 star trend as recruiting “wins” for Woody as much as they’re convenient relationships based on circumstances having little to do with Woody personally. When they have time to reflect on their available opportunities, they rarely pick IU and this staff. Long term recruitments don’t matter as much anymore, sure… why waste resources then… sure it’s all part of their master plan. 

I missed the rule where a late spring de-commit is forced to attend IU.

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I missed the rule where a late spring de-commit is forced to attend IU.

Just not impressed by it. Rushed decisions. On paper IU looks fine. Give them time to get to know the staff and they decide there are better options. Results ain't there on the court. 

21 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Sisley isn't a 5 star. So only two classes out of four right now. 

7 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Sisley isn't a 5 star. So only two classes out of four right now. 

Is this cycle over?

JHS, Mgbako, Tucker. That's three consecutive cycles of landing a 5*. Two straight B10 FOY of the year. Yeah, Woodson is horrible at landing high school talent. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

So, have you heard how those people who gave money and wanted Mullins might be interpreting their ROI?  Woody did land a strong portal team and maybe they overlook the HS misses but if we had the better financial package for a local kid and lost out it does say we might not be an attractive enough school for top HS talent. 

And to add salt to this wound, he is an in-state 5* recruit.  Recruiting them hard should be one of the easiest things to do because there isn’t much travel time involved.  But MW done his job!!!

27 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I mean, saying “Woodson doesn’t have an issue getting too high school talent to Bloomington” is literally not true. Duke just brought in five 5 star players in the class of 2024, for example. Woodson isn’t doing numbers like that. He’s bringing in 1 per year. Every IU coach, even Archie Miller, could land 5 star players, and they didn’t have millions of dollars to throw at high schoolers. Woodson high school recruiting record is pathetic when you consider his plethora of resources. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I mean, saying “Woodson doesn’t have an issue getting top high school talent to Bloomington” is literally not true. Duke just brought in five 5 star players in the class of 2024, for example. Woodson isn’t doing numbers like that. He’s bringing in 1 per year. Every IU coach, even Archie Miller, could land 5 star players, and they didn’t have millions of dollars to throw at high schoolers. Woodson high school recruiting record is pathetic when you consider his plethora of resources. 

"Woodson isn't good at landing high school talent"

Two consecutive B10 FPOY begs to differ. And we aren't Duke and haven't been in 30 years. If the barometer for success in high school recruiting is bringing in five 5* recruits a class then every other coach in America is bad at landing top high school talent.

You're a walking bad take and this somehow trumps them all. 

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

Two consecutive B10 FPOY begs to differ. And we aren't Duke and haven't been in 30 years. If the barometer for success in high school recruiting is bringing in five 5* recruits a class then every other coach in America is bad at landing top high school talent.

I think it's interesting you post mostly contrarian views on the back of bad news. 

Starting to wonder if this is some sort of fetish for you or if you're just a glutton for confrontation lol. 

7 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Yes, I’m the walking bad take, not the guy whose sole purpose since creating an account has been to defend every single action (or inaction) taken by Mike Woodson  

You argue out of both sides of your mouth. On one side, long drawn out recruitments are a thing of the past. On the other side, Woodson put a ton of effort over the past year+ in recruiting Mullins.

The proof is in the pudding. Mike Woodson is not good at recruiting high school players. He’s absolutely abysmal at recruiting high school players who aren’t making rushed spring decisions. I’m pretty sure he’s only landed 4 commitments since November 2021. 4 in basically 3 years. Not exactly hitting it out of the park. 

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I think it's interesting you post mostly contrarian views on the back of bad news. 

Starting to wonder if this is some sort of fetish for you or if you're just a glutton for confrontation lol. 

Glutton for confrontation? No, just clearing up a garbage take. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yes, I’m the walking bad take, not the guy whose sole purpose since creating an account has been to defend every single action (or inaction) taken by Mike Woodson

Glad we agree

Remember the circumstances with each of the names being mentioned. 

Bates was a decommit after a coaching change and Hunter slid in late in the process. 

JHS resembled a traditional recruitment. 

Reneau was a decommit after a coaching change and the JHS connection helped but again a quick recruitment.

Mgbako we never had any involvement with, his mom contacted us after he de-committed from Duke. 

Tucker we were involved with but others were as well and when GLE was disbanded his dad called Woody. Quick recruitment 

Then the wham bam transactional portal recruitments Woody does well. 

The player that looks most likely to fit this would be Mikel Brown, if Rice looks like he's going into the draft after this year. 

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

Glutton for confrontation? No, just clearing up a garbage take. 

Amazing! You must be able to see the future since this team hasn't played a single game this year.

Will we beat Southern Illinois University Edwardsville by more than we did Florida Gulf Coast last year (6 points)? 

What should we expect? B10 title and FF run - minimally - right? 

Thank you for your service clarifying what the standards are for IU under Mike Woodson.