Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chris007

2023 SF/PF Mackenzie Mgbako to INDI-F’N-ANA

14 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I hope you’re right.  I’m not as high on him as everyone else.  

I expect he will score a ton of points but he still has to get a lot better on the other end for us to do anything.  To his credit, he did get better at the end of the season but he was atrocious for most of the year.  He has to at least get to the point where we are not taking him out or even thinking about taking him out late in games.  I still think he plays so stiff I could take him.

Awful take

Mgbako has little chance at being drafted unless he can showcase a 40%+ 3pt shot with high volume. He has good size but unless he’s hitting 3s at a high rate, he just doesn’t have the athleticism to do much else at the next level. If he were as athletic as Gallo, he’d be already gone. 

17 hours ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I hope you’re right.  I’m not as high on him as everyone else.  

I expect he will score a ton of points but he still has to get a lot better on the other end for us to do anything.  To his credit, he did get better at the end of the season but he was atrocious for most of the year.  He has to at least get to the point where we are not taking him out or even thinking about taking him out late in games.  I still think he plays so stiff I could take him.

He got exponentially better towards the end of the season, on the defensive end. 

2 hours ago, Adillac said:

Mgbako has little chance at being drafted unless he can showcase a 40%+ 3pt shot with high volume. He has good size but unless he’s hitting 3s at a high rate, he just doesn’t have the athleticism to do much else at the next level. If he were as athletic as Gallo, he’d be already gone. 

I think getting NBA feedback is less about getting drafted now but having NBA people advise on what he needs to improve his stock. 

3 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

He got exponentially better towards the end of the season, on the defensive end. 

True, but he started at a very, very low level.

The guy was co-freshman of the year and there’s still discussion trying to minimize his growth based on early play? Good grief. 
Flip side of that coin - which is getting old - maybe if Woodson had encouraged his shooting and actually run sets for a perimeter game he would have shined earlier? Ya think? I thought he’d come back but honestly we’re lucky, in an actual modern offense emphasizing outside scoring, with plays actually run for it - what a shocker, Woodson - he’d score much more efficiently.

This isn’t directed at anyone in particular above, I just find it surprising that there’s continuing focus on early struggles defensively when the guy earned co-frosh of the year and clearly was a key player for us in doing so