Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coaching Changes Nationally

On 3/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, str8baller said:

We’ll see how Shrewsberry fares at ND. I’ve mentioned in this thread that the ND administration is openly hostile to NIL. Today their president and AD have a letter in the NYT basically saying as much. I could easily see ND basketball being behind Purdue when it comes to NIL.   

In any event, there’s a very real chance Shrewsberry will be ready to move on in a few years if he can generate any success there at all. That ND job is simply shaping up to be a bad one. 

Plus, ND basketball facilities are among the worst in the country. Brey was a strong advocate for improving such facilities but was never successful. 

ND is not for everyone. The people making decisions there essentially have a $0/year income, no living expenses, and basically no material possessions. 

On 3/24/2023 at 10:37 AM, str8baller said:

We’ll see how Shrewsberry fares at ND. I’ve mentioned in this thread that the ND administration is openly hostile to NIL. Today their president and AD have a letter in the NYT basically saying as much. I could easily see ND basketball being behind Purdue when it comes to NIL.   

In any event, there’s a very real chance Shrewsberry will be ready to move on in a few years if he can generate any success there at all. That ND job is simply shaping up to be a bad one. 

Seeing that Mike Rhoades from VCU to Penn State is pretty much a done deal. 

Also seeing Utah State's Ryan Odom (orchestrated UMBC's 16 vs. 1 upset of UVA a few years back) is headed back east to fill Rhoades' seat at VCU. His dad, Dave, is a former UVA assistant and former head coach at Wake Forest and South Carolina. 

1 hour ago, LamarCheeks said:

Seeing that Mike Rhoades from VCU to Penn State is pretty much a done deal. 

Also seeing Utah State's Ryan Odom (orchestrated UMBC's 16 vs. 1 upset of UVA a few years back) is headed back east to fill Rhoades' seat at VCU. His dad, Dave, is a former UVA assistant and former head coach at Wake Forest and South Carolina. 

Seems like good moves all the way around.

42 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Honestly not sure if this is much of an upgrade outside of conference affiliation.

Genuinely sorry to see it. Always looking for the next McKillop or Becker who’ll just stay somewhere like that and become a legend. Thought Abdur-Rahim might be one of those guys.

11 minutes ago, monskisprodigy said:

I don't know this situation well enough. Why did the temple president resign?

There have been some on campus violence issues and there were some protests involving the teaching staff, Don’t know the details, but the President seemed to be pretty universally loathed.

4 hours ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Rhodes isn't inheriting much at PSU.  As of now, Penn St has three scholarship players for next year...

I am willing to bet that the new coach will see a couple of his  VCU players come with him....but the best ones will probably seek NIL deals at schools that will pay more than Penn State.