Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

On 2/11/2024 at 5:18 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Saw the replay.....the Louisville coach called it 'God awful', but it was an intentional foul.  Louisville player grabbed the Syracuse player on the back and hip with no play on the ball.  Was simply trying to waste a foul with 2 seconds left and only 2 team fouls, but you have to at least make it look like an attempt at the ball.

While I respect what Caitlin Clark is about to achieve it needs to be constantly mentioned, since so many people refuse to, that Maravich only played 3 years (could not play as a freshmen in those days), there was no 30 second clock, and no 3 point line!

22 minutes ago, RoadRage said:

While I respect what Caitlin Clark is about to achieve it needs to be constantly mentioned, since so many people refuse to, that Maravich only played 3 years (could not play as a freshmen in those days), there was no 30 second clock, and no 3 point line!

I agree somewhat but look how many more shots that Maravich took compared to Clark. I think they said one year he shot 40 shots per game

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

I agree somewhat but look how many more shots that Maravich took compared to Clark. I think they said one year he shot 40 shots per game

But just think how many more points he would have scored with another year and many of those shots being worth 3 points instead of two. Again, I respect what she has done and I am excited to see her probably playing for the Indiana Fever next season, but Maravich would have obviously scored hundreds more points with another year and today's rule changes!

Thought it was sorta fitting that at her first opportunity to break the mark, she brought the ball upcourt, crossed the half-court line, dribbled about 10 seconds of the clock, then launched about a 40 footer. 

Wasn't even close. 

And in a tight game, there's no excuse to take that shot. 

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Fitting that Clark breaks the record shooting technical free throws on a bogus T.

BTW, not sure how a catch and shoot with 0.3 seconds on the clock gets off in time.

Looks like they decided the catch and shoot was too late!

4 minutes ago, RoadRage said:

But just think how many more points he would have scored with another year and many of those shots being worth 3 points instead of two. Again, I respect what she has done and I am excited to see her probably playing for the Indiana Fever next season, but Maravich would have obviously scored hundreds more points with another year and today's rule changes!

Maravich's LSU teams were in the bottom ten in the country in defense when he played there and his dad was the coach.  His senior season LSU and their opponents were putting up 153 shots per game.  It's not like the system he was in wasn't built aroung him getting a ton of shots.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Maravich's LSU teams were in the bottom ten in the country in defense when he played there and his dad was the coach.  His senior season LSU and their opponents were putting up 153 shots per game.  It's not like the system he was in wasn't built aroung him getting a ton of shots.

Still only got 2 points for all of the shots he made....but I agree the 30 second clock would not have changed things much!

Pistol Pete Maravich coached by his dad was an entertaining one man show kind of like his own globetrotter show. Probably, advanced LSU basketball entertainment during his day as an entertaining player after a 1930s LSU era championship team. Maravich was good enough to have a stellar NBA career.

Saw that Elizabeth Kitley also suffered a left knee injury in the third quarter of their game against Virginia.  Kitley, like Holmes, came back to the bench near the end of the game. 

1 hour ago, Todd41 said:

Saw that Elizabeth Kitley also suffered a left knee injury in the third quarter of their game against Virginia.  Kitley, like Holmes, came back to the bench near the end of the game. 

The VA Tech coach was crying after the game about it as oppose to Moren's optimistic nature on Holmes. That makes me think that the initial diagnosis on Kitley is more serious. Kitley is every bit the player Mack is at the same position and VA Tech not having her would drop them out of hosting potentially and stop any chance of a deep March run.

23 hours ago, RoadRage said:

Rick Mount as well

This kinda made me chuckle. 

ESPN looks at 10 teams who could win the NCAA title. It's the same as the AP and coaches' Top 10.

Way to go out on a limb. 

I realize the women's tourney is typically not as wide-open as the men's, but still ... 

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39711057/women-march-madness-south-carolina-win-2024-title