Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

The Golf Thread

I can't grip a club like I once could.  Still have my sticks.  Never was any good.  But loved the game.  My foursome scattered.  One has knee replacements.  Two are out of state.

Friends and good times and beautifully landscaped grounds are a great pleasure.  Learned to play at Audubon State Park course in Henderson KY.  Every time I hit into the woods, I would find 4 or 5 golf balls.  Told the starter that.  He said people do not go into the woods  because of the copperheads.

Was on Old Oakland Golf Course in east Indy, and was amazed at the size and athletic ability of two gentlemen in the following twosome. They absolutely filled that golf cart.  Clark Kellog and George McGinnis could hit their drives three times as far as I could into the woods. Amazing.

Great courses all over...Shaker Run north of Cincy; Blue Ash may be the nicest muni course; NCR;   Indy CC; too numerous to count.

One interesting tidbit...the Water Department diverts river water into ponds to recharge the aquifer.  Then uses lots of wells to supply 1/2 a million users.  Two muni golf courses were over one wellfield.  The well field supervisor, the golf course manager, and I sited 30 ponds around those courses.  Tightened those courses and made it interesting.  Ever play at Kittyhawk?  The City of Dayton just closed them for a number of reasons.  

3 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I can't grip a club like I once could.  Still have my sticks.  Never was any good.  But loved the game.  My foursome scattered.  One has knee replacements.  Two are out of state.

Friends and good times and beautifully landscaped grounds are a great pleasure.  Learned to play at Audubon State Park course in Henderson KY.  Every time I hit into the woods, I would find 4 or 5 golf balls.  Told the starter that.  He said people do not go into the woods  because of the copperheads.

Was on Old Oakland Golf Course in east Indy, and was amazed at the size and athletic ability of two gentlemen in the following twosome. They absolutely filled that golf cart.  Clark Kellog and George McGinnis could hit their drives three times as far as I could into the woods. Amazing.

Great courses all over...Shaker Run north of Cincy; Blue Ash may be the nicest muni course; NCR;   Indy CC; too numerous to count.

One interesting tidbit...the Water Department diverts river water into ponds to recharge the aquifer.  Then uses lots of wells to supply 1/2 a million users.  Two muni golf courses were over one wellfield.  The well field supervisor, the golf course manager, and I sited 30 ponds around those courses.  Tightened those courses and made it interesting.  Ever play at Kittyhawk?  The City of Dayton just closed them for a number of reasons.  

Shaker run is 45 minutes from my house. Played there before. Can agree, very nice course. 

5 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Had the same issue over in Oki, habu instead of copperheads though. Beautiful courses but quite aggressive snakes in the jungles.

Just reviving the thread since we're in the middle of golf season.  Went on a three day trip to Perry Park in Kentucky to play with my dad....he's 77 so don't know how many more golf trips he'll have in him, so thought it was a good time to go on one.  Went there in the middle of a heat wave.....upper 90s on two of the days and the first day was our arrival day and didn't tee off until one.

Had a shot on a par three whose divot was an inch from the hole and end up about two and a half and a half feet away.  Getting a hole in one still on my bucket list.....I've had a ball literally lodge into the green an inch short of the cup on a wet day and have had another shot rim out.

I acquired a $1,000 Dicks gift card and I'm thinking about new irons.  Any recommendations? 

With your golf game? I’d recommend spending it on golf balls you can lose.

I’m not convinced there is that much difference between irons. I’d recommend getting fitted whatever you do. They should be able to do that at most Purdue Person’s.

I’ve been playing a set of irons that are 25+ years old. The only difference I can feel from my newer irons is a loss of a few yards. They’re cavity backs while my newer ones are closer to blades. You can’t go wrong with Titliest if you can hit them. Regardless, get them fitted to your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

With your golf game? I’d recommend spending it on golf balls you can lose.

I’m not convinced there is that much difference between irons. I’d recommend getting fitted whatever you do. They should be able to do that at most Purdue Person’s.

I’ve been playing a set of irons that are 25+ years old. The only difference I can feel from my newer irons is a loss of a few yards. They’re cavity backs while my newer ones are closer to blades. You can’t go wrong with Titliest if you can hit them. Regardless, get them fitted to your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Dammit, I've been told new irons would make a big difference.  My driver goes 275 regularly so it must be my irons that's the problem.  Just pour money at it until it's fixed.

Right now I'm on 25 year old Calloways

11 hours ago, Josh said:

Dammit, I've been told new irons would make a big difference.  My driver goes 275 regularly so it must be my irons that's the problem.  Just pour money at it until it's fixed.

Right now I'm on 25 year old Calloways

Is that 275 straight? Are you hitting the fairway more often than not? Are you wanting to look better on the golf course or are you wanting to lower your handicap?

Please, tell me you're playing the Big Bertha irons?! I have been swinging prototypes of the Titliest DCIs this summer.. crazy feeling.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

Is that 275 straight? Are you hitting the fairway more often than not? Are you wanting to look better on the golf course or are you wanting to lower your handicap?

Please, tell me you're playing the Big Bertha irons?! I have been swinging prototypes of the Titliest DCIs this summer.. crazy feeling.

My drive has a bit of a slice, but I stay on the fairway.  My iron game is bad and my approach to the green is garbage.  I need to fix the short game and was told new irons would help.

20220704_111907.jpg

^This is fantastic

Get fitted for irons at Purdue Person's. Focus on shots from 100 yards and in on the driving range before your rounds or whenever you go to the range. Pick a target 100 yards out and hit 1000 golf balls at it until you're getting somewhere close. Add a little distance each week/round/practice. The swing from 100 yards should be similar as you move out but it's easier to start. Take extra time at the chipping/putting green before each round too. That's where you'll really drop strokes.

My grandfather was quite the golfer won a local tournament. Saw an old photo of him and grandmother when they were younger with him holding the trophy. I saw it when my sisters' and I were going through photos for my grandmothers funeral. 

Hey folks. I’m glad I’ve finally found this thread here. Tbh, I wish I had seen it earlier. It’s really interesting to read your replies here. As for my inventory, I mostly buy stuff at https://greenvalleyccofri.com/tips/. My father works there, so I trust them. Btw, the tips I’ve shared above are really helpful. I used them to teach my son how to play golf. Tbh, I’ve never thought golf could be interesting for a kid. One day my son changed my mind. So, I’m happy to be here, folks. Let’s keep this thread updated. BW

Edited by treyengelson