Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

3 hours ago, rcs29 said:

And won't be rescheduled. How is that going to work? Would it be fair to put a 7-0 Wisconsin team in B1G championship over a 7-1 team? Talk about a catch 22. People will be upset regardless of how that plays out.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Have to play a minimum 6 B1G games to be considered for the title game, unless the league average for games played drops. I have a feeling Wisconsin will be playing 6 at most this season.

(Whether that’s fair or not is up for discussion)

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

This just further reinforces how poorly the B1G has handled the season.  If they'd been proactive and not dilly dallied around, they could have scheduled bye weeks to allow for such events and the possibility that such games could be made up in the bye weeks.  

The whole thing is a mess and primarily a result of feckless B1G leadership and undue influence of Barry Alvarez in all things B1G football.

Wisconsin is deciding not to play this weekend due to six players and six coaches testing positive. The Badgers are down to their 4th string QB as a result. Barry is pulling the plug on this game as a no contest, but also saying that the 21 day B1G rule for positive players should be reduced. They want to avoid having to play this game with their 4th string QB and then get their starters cleared for next week to play against Purdue.

The B1G decided that teams can back out of games due to positive cases even if it does not push a team above the threshold for a mandatory cancellation. Wisconsin should be forced to forfeit this game, not skirt by with a no contest.

Adding a layer to the cake of stupidity that is the B1G, Penn State is allowing students to congregate at their baseball, lacrosse, and soccer stadiums to watch the PSU-OSU game on Jumbotrons together. The students can’t distance themselves in PSU’s 110,000 seat stadium where the game will be played, but they can do the same in multiple stadiums around the campus during the game...

On 10/22/2020 at 4:35 PM, TheWatShot said:

It was someone not on the team, and everyone on the team was considered a close contact. 

I get what you're saying about schools not having the resources to test all their players, and that makes perfect sense. I just think the "close contact" guideline is stupid. It's fear-mongering of the highest order. If kids aren't showing symptoms, let them play. 

If that is the case, that is not the protocol that schools are asked to fall under.  The only time I've seen that happen in my region is when a team cancelled a couple of weeks due to a coach testing positive who was not following protocol and therefore it made their ability to track impossible.

Basically, IF a school is able to give the six feet of space in the classroom (not a small task for some schools -- my school has about 50% in person and 50% vritual learners and we are able to get the spacing), then no one would have to be quarantined for being a close contact unless it was due to off site activities.  I've had two students in the past week and a half in my classes that have tested positive and no one else in the classroom had to quarantine.  (FWIW, the cases were unrelated.....one student caught covid and after they were out a week, another student's brother tested positive and then they tested positive as well).

12 hours ago, mdn82 said:

So in a roundabout way you are saying it wouldn’t be the worse thing if our OSU game was cancelled.

Sadly, that's true.  There is just as much encouragement for a team to move to not play due to being undermanned because of covid cases as there is to move to not play because of safety reasons.  Just wondering out loud if Barry Alvarez would have been making the same move if had been his fourth string QB and five fourth-stringers who had tested positive.

Sorry, but if you choose not to play just take the L and move on.  Y'know, there's worse things in the world, especially this season.  The Big 12 at least put in guidelines as to when a team would need to cancel.

9 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Wisconsin is deciding not to play this weekend due to six players and six coaches testing positive.

What the hell are they doing at the coaches' meetings in Wisconsin?  Nevermind, I probably don't want to know.

Oh boy. Waiting for many angry responses in 3...2...1...

I forgot to put a smiley face, but it is True. I could easily put my area in Indiana, especially my hometown. Any Illinois members on here will know how serious we take our Basketball

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

Illinois has 14 players out today against Purdue.

Wisconsin's positive tests up to 22 positives (12 players, 10 staff).  Badgers say they will determine if they will play next Saturday's game against Purdue on Tuesday.

My biggest issue is the 21 day thing.  Not all cases are the same.  Not all positive tests are positive.  That’s a huge chunk of the season for the majority if showing no symptoms probably are negative within days.  Imo they are doing a disservice to those kids, and not doing anything extra to protect them with that.  

3A Hanover Central beat a decent Twin Lakes team 35-28 to open sectional despite having 30 players in quarantine.  They will now play Calumet in the sectional finals, a team whose season didn’t start until week 7 due to covid concerns.  Hanover Central has a hell of a QB named Blaize Cano — really nice arm — while Calumet (at least in the past) runs a version of the wing T.  Should be a really good matchup.

2 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

The NFL have fined the Oakland Los Angeles Oakland Las Vegas Raiders a bunch of money and have taken away a 6th round draft pick for repeatedly violating COVID protocol.

Maybe call them “The Southwest Football Team”