Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Early BIG Projections (2020-21)

Yea I could see that. But i still wouldn’t put Ohio State and Michigan State at the same level as Maryland. Maryland’s was the best and most talented team in the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I would. Maryland played with fire all year. Won a bunch of close games. Seemed like a every game I watched they were either down double digits and sneaked the game out or up double digits and let teams come back before finding a way to win. You could argue they won close games because they were good or could argue they were a little lucky. I just didn’t see them head and shoulders above the rest top B1G teams

Maryland was the most talented team in the conference. They weren't the best, in my opinion.

This seems true. Michigan State was coming on like gangbusters. Wisconsin was playing way above expectations.

I think If i had to bet on neutral court games I’d say I had the most confidence in Maryland and MSU over all the rest. Ohio State, IoWA, Wisconsin next.

This seems true. Michigan State was coming on like gangbusters. Wisconsin was playing way above expectations.  
I think If i had to bet on neutral court games I’d say I had the most confidence in Maryland and MSU over all the rest. Ohio State, IoWA, Wisconsin next.

Iowa seemed like a team poised to be upset. They really just didn’t like to play defense.

I had Maryland getting upset. They won a ton of close games throughout the regular season but in the NCAA that most likely runs out. Something we’ll never know, unfortunately.

Alan griffin transferring from Illinois is a big loss for them IMO. They lose griffin, Feliz, and most likely Ayo. 3 of their 4 top players. Miller better be ready to fill some major holes in that roster.

I do look for them to be in play for some transfers though.

Edit: I dropped them from 7 to 9 in my updated projections.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

Alan griffin transferring from Illinois is a big loss for them IMO. They lose griffin, Feliz, and most likely Ayo. 3 of their 4 top players. Miller better be ready to fill some major holes in that roster.

I do look for them to be in play for some transfers though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Really hoping Kofi as well...but probably just wishful thinking

My thoughts on the conference next year...

Wisconsin is going to be Final Four good. They return pretty much all of their key players.  Reuvers/Trice/Potter are going to be really tough along with the Davison kid. They also have a top 15 class coming in. 

Michigan State will take a step back I think. They get the Hauser kid but they'll lose Cassius and probably Tillman. Aaron Henry will have to make a jump for them. 

Maryland will struggle next year. Smith will go pro and Cowan is gone. I don't like Turgeon as a coach. I think they'll lack frontcourt size and that's a recipe for disaster in the Big Ten. 

Illinois is a big wild card. IF they keep Ayo they are probably top 15, maybe top 10 good. I think he should stay (don't want him to) so I'll keep him on their roster. Cockburn had a nice freshman year. He will get better. On paper they have the #2 2020 class in the Big Ten coming in. That will help. 

Iowa will be top ten good if they can keep Garza-which I will project they will. The get Bohannon back. Fredrick and Wieskamp had good seasons. Depth will be an issue I think. I don't trust Fran either. 

Penn State will fall back to the pack. They lose some really good, all-time great program players. Feel awful they didn't get to experience the tournament. 

Ohio State will be top 15 maybe top 10 good if they return Kaleb Wesson. I'll project he stays. Not a good look for Holtmann to lose two of his top 2019 recruits due to transfer. They did get a nice grad transfer from the Ivy League.

Rutgers, like Penn State, I feel for. The best team they had in years and they don't get to experience the tournament. Thankfully Harper and Baker should be back. Pikiell has them going in the right direction. Should be a top 25 team to start the year. 

Michigan really underachieved this year. They started the season strong then struggled. Picked it up towards February and then struggled the rest of the way. Howard has a top 5 class coming in with some returning talent. They lose Simpson and Teske-maybe their two best players. We will see how good of a coach Howard is next year. They'll have talent. 

Purdue was disappointing this year. None of their guys got better. I honestly don't see them being that good next year. 

Indiana returns TJD and two three year starters in Justin Smith and Al Durham. Phinisee is a two year starter as well. Most likely will get Lander as well. Return depth with Brunk, Franklin, Hunter, and Thompson. Like Michigan-we will really see how good of a coach Archie is. The talent is sure there. 

Minnesota, Northwestern, and Nebraska will be towards the bottom of the conference next year. Collins and Pitino are on the hot seat. Give Hoiberg another year and Nebraska will be solid. 

Some big decisions to wait on that will impact the Big Ten: Dosunmu, Garza, Todd (heard he could go pro), Wesson, Lander, Tillman

Way Too Early Big Ten Picks

1. Wisconsin- Final Four Good

2. Illinois- Top Ten good if Dosunmu comes back

3. Iowa- Top Ten good if Garza returns 

4. Michigan- Sweet 16/Rd of 32

5. Ohio State- Sweet 16/Rd of 32

6. Indiana- Rd of 32

7. Rutgers- Rd of 32

8. Michigan State- Rd of 64; this is the beginning of the end for Izzo I think. I think they relied too much on Winston this year. Without him and even Tillman they aren't that good. 

9. Purdue- Rd of 64

10. Maryland- NIT

11. Penn State- NIT

12. Minnesota

13. Nebraska 

14. Northwestern

If Dosunmu, Garza, Tillman, and Wesson all leave, IU could very well be a top 3-4 team next year in the conference. 

I think Wisconsin is better in conference than out of it (opposite of IU) They out-perform their talent, but get exposed in the tourney. Nothing about that team says "Final Four" to me. They play smart and tough and seldom beat themselves which is enough to win a lot of games. But aren't anything special. They are the worst "B1G champion" I can think of and will be surprised if they get beyond the Sweet 16 next season. 

9 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I think Wisconsin is better in conference than out of it (opposite of IU) They out-perform their talent, but get exposed in the tourney. Nothing about that team says "Final Four" to me. They play smart and tough and seldom beat themselves which is enough to win a lot of games. But aren't anything special. They are the worst "B1G champion" I can think of and will be surprised if they get beyond the Sweet 16 next season. 

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Wisconsin is not a Final Four team though they will probably be near the top of the conference standings. With Lander, TJD and strong group of experienced role players Indiana should be able to compete for the conference championship. 

If Reuvers or Potter take their game to the next level they will be very good. I do think it's possible IU will be a contender next year. Depending on what happens with everything going on, I think experienced teams will be at a huge advantage next year. New players won't be able to come in and get acclimated to their team and system. IU returns 8 of their top 10 guys. It would hurt Lander, Leal, Galloway, and Geronimo a little bit. 

Tevian Jones from Illinois is entering the transfer portal. I really expect Underwood to hit the transfer market hard. 

Illinois definitely had the best turnaround of any team. You could argue Rutgers, but I think Illinois was better on a national level. I could see Rutgers falling back now that they aren’t they are part of the prey.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Illinois definitely had the best turnaround of any team. You could argue Rutgers, but I think Illinois was better on a national level. I could see Rutgers falling back now that they aren’t they are part of the prey.

Illinois has a lot more to replace than rutgers. we will see

Some outlets had Illinois preseason top 5 in the B1G I know with Ayo returning and Katz had them top 4 in the league this year. Almost everyone had Rutgers at the bottom. I would give that edge to Rutgers.

Some outlets had Illinois preseason top 5 in the B1G I know with Ayo returning and Katz had them top 4 in the league this year. Almost everyone had Rutgers at the bottom. I would give that edge to Rutgers.

That’s part of the turnaround. Is being expected to be that good. Illinois sucked last year just like Rutgers did. Last year Rutgers was 14-17(7-13) and Illinois was 12-21(7-13). This year Rutgers finished 20-11(11-9) and spent 2 weeks in the Top 25 getting up to 24th. Illinois went 21-10(13-7), finished alone at 4th in the Big Ten and spent 8 weeks in the Top 25 getting up to 19th.

That’s part of the turnaround. Is being expected to be that good. Illinois sucked last year just like Rutgers did. Last year Rutgers was 14-17(7-13) and Illinois was 12-21(7-13). This year Rutgers finished 20-11(11-9) and spent 2 weeks in the Top 25 getting up to 24th. Illinois went 21-10(13-7), finished alone at 4th in the Big Ten and spent 8 weeks in the Top 25 getting up to 19th.

Only place to go for Illinois last year was up. Couldn’t get any worse then last year’s record setting season for losses

Only place to go for Illinois last year was up. Couldn’t get any worse then last year’s record setting season for losses

There’s a reason I said they had the biggest turnaround.

Edit: I think you could say Rutgers was the biggest surprise.