Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

MikeRoberts

Help is on the...

Honestly iy is hard to recruit when his position is filled for the season he comes in.

I think your referring to TJD but we have point guard needs and center needs and shooting needs and any good player we recruit could come in and start over any guys we have at those positions/roles.

The only player that’s starting minutes are safe is TJD. Not hard to go out and tell a top center there are minutes for you, not hard to tell a great shooter you would have the green light to launch etc.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think your referring to TJD but we have point guard needs and center needs and shooting needs and any good player we recruit could come in and start over any guys we have at those positions/roles.

The only player that’s starting minutes are safe is TJD. Not hard to go out and tell a top center there are minutes for you, not hard to tell a great shooter you would have the green light to launch etc.

No one should be able to use this excuse. We want a center, fine TJD can play some at the 4 next year to get ready for the NBA. We want s 4, fine TJD can play the center. All other spots are still wide open.

As good as Rob has been he has not proved to be consistent nor durable.

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

No one should be able to use this excuse. We want a center, fine TJD can play some at the 4 next year to get ready for the NBA. We want s 4, fine TJD can play the center. All other spots are still wide open.

As good as Rob has been he has not proved to be consistent nor durable.

I think it's a false narrative that Rob has been good.  A year and half into his career, he's a three assist per game point guard who is shooting under 40% overall and 32% from three who averages 7 points per game.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep. Same thing as Crean miss on key Targets, sign other people anyway and role out nonsense lineups. 

It's why I don't understand people's criticism of rotation patterns on Miller.  It's not like he can rotate in shooters that we don't have.  The criticism should be on the inability to bring in shooters.  

We have two open spots on the roster.....needed better backup plans when first tier options weren't there.

16 hours ago, brumdog45 said:
I think it's a false narrative that Rob has been good.  A year and half into his career, he's a three assist per game point guard who is shooting under 40% overall and 32% from three who averages 7 points per game.

Defensively he is as solid as you could ask for. Bilas mentioned him on the Kentucky broadcast last week as one of the best on the ball defending guards in the country as a sophomore

12 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Defensively he is as solid as you could ask for. Bilas mentioned him on the Kentucky broadcast last week as one of the best on the ball defending guards in the county as a sophomore

I would not rank him that high.  And even if you consider him an elite defender, I think that designation is limited to when he defends smaller guards.

I would not rank him that high.  And even if you consider him an elite defender, I think that designation is limited to when he defends smaller guards.

Yeah, elite to me means bigten defensive player of the year or minimally all-defensive team and I don’t see him making any of those.

Not saying his defense is bad, just not that elite. It’s been his offense that has been surprisingly suspect

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Yeah, elite to me means bigten defensive player of the year or minimally all-defensive team and I don’t see him making any of those.

Not saying his defense is bad, just not that elite. It’s been his offense that has been surprisingly suspect

I checked his stats and his numbers are actually up from last year, small sample size alert applies though.  I didn't expect that.

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

I think he hasn't played healthy since mid December of last season.    That likely has a lot to do with it.

7 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I think he hasn't played healthy since mid December of last season.    That likely has a lot to do with it.

I think they said during the game that according to Miller Phinisee has only participated in like 10 practices.  That's, sub-optimal.

So a couple things to address.
1) Louisville was the first school to discuss a reclass with Lander.
2) Anthony Leal is a shooter. For anyone to say that he isn’t is very wrong and to say that he can’t fill that role next year is jumping the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

8 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

2) Anthony Leal is a shooter. For anyone to say that he isn’t is very wrong and to say that he can’t fill that role next year is jumping the gun.

What’s Leal hitting as Senior?  He only hit like 38 percent his junior year.  Unless that’s gone up quite a bit hard to classify him a a shooter. He’s more a guy that can shoot. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What’s Leal hitting as Senior?  He only hit like 38 percent his junior year.  Unless that’s gone up quite a bit hard to classify him a a shooter. He’s more a guy that can shoot. 

I tried finding his stats but couldn't, did read something that said he shot 50+% his sophomore season.  Being he's just inside the top 100 per 247 I'd be hesitant to say he's going to instantly step in and address any needs, could be a good piece in the future though.

I remember people that Matt Cross was a shooter too even though his stats didn't back it up (sub 30%).

EDIT:  I eventually found this but it doesn't give much.  In the five games given, only 25% from 3.

http://aaustats.com/seasons/15/players/16726

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I tried finding his stats but couldn't, did read something that said he shot 50+% his sophomore season.  Being he's just inside the top 100 per 247 I'd be hesitant to say he's going to instantly step in and address any needs, could be a good piece in the future though.

I remember people that Matt Cross was a shooter too even though his stats didn't back it up (sub 30%).

Yeah I can’t find any stats even AAU which is weird. 

Here’s the thing we won’t have any shooters. We need incremental improvement from our current roster. And we need our bad shooters to stop shooting so much. Damezi and Franklin have shot way too many. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here’s the thing we won’t have any shooters. We need incremental improvement from our current roster. And we need our bad shooters to stop shooting so much. Damezi and Franklin have shot way too many. 

I edited it to show a link I found, but only gave 5 games and he shot 25%.

What was posted was 25% from 3 and 70% from the line. Are you seeing something different?

Also, in regards to immediate help, is he in your mind going to come in and play considerable minutes for us? If not, then he doesn’t address next years needs, more for the future

Leal had a stretch in an AAU event in California over the summer were he hit 19 threes in 3 games. I would have to look back and find it but I posted it at the time