Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

UCLA came out of nowhere one year.  Think it might have before NET, though.  Think they had appeared on only one bracket in the bracketmatrix.

The most shocking selection i remember was Air Force way back in the day 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

On TeamRankings, 20% increase in making the tournament. Went from 25% yesterday to now 45.2% overnight.

Historically are they accurate?

I don't think the committee weights the conference tournament as heavily. If memory serves, in recent years there have been several teams that have thought they would've gotten a higher seed or made the tournament based off of conference tournament results. I think we were the last team in in 2022 despite our wins against Michigan and Illinois in the BTT with many feeling pretty confident after the Michigan win...also, wasn't it Texas A&M who ran through the BIG 12 tournament a couple of years ago and made it to the championship game, only to get snubbed by the committee? 

16 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

with many feeling pretty confident after the Michigan win...also, wasn't it Texas A&M who ran through the BIG 12 tournament a couple of years ago and made it to the championship game, only to get snubbed by the committee? 

Yeah A&M got left out.   History tells you after Friday results don’t matter.   Notre Dame was last team in the field that year 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I’m honestly pretty confused how a 21 win Big Ten team could be left out, if in theory we lose in the championship 

Having most your wins in the B1G against the bottom of the conference and only going 1-7 (that would move to 3-7) against teams in the B1G that are tournament quality teams.  0 big wins in the non conference.   Nebraska went 13-5 in the B1G years ago and didn’t make it because all they did was beat up on the bottom of the barrel B1G teams 

49 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Having most your wins in the B1G against the bottom of the conference and only going 1-7 (that would move to 3-7) against teams in the B1G that are tournament quality teams.  0 big wins in the non conference.   Nebraska went 13-5 in the B1G years ago and didn’t make it because all they did was beat up on the bottom of the barrel B1G teams 

Believe they also were not very good in non-conference.  Went back and checked and they were 9-4 non-conference.  Two losses were to teams that made the tournament, two were to non-tournament teams.  Only beat one team in non-conference with a POM under 100.

They did beat Michigan that year who made it to the final four.

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan222 said:

I’m honestly pretty confused how a 21 win Big Ten team could be left out, if in theory we lose in the championship 

The margin of victory and losses is the main driving metric. IUBB is suffering from wining games by less than 10 (9.6 to be exact). Even though they have one of the best, if not the best, records in the conference of wins by single digits (aka close games). Also, blowout losses to UConn and Auburn in November and December carry more weight than a winning streak or clicking at the right time late in the season.

Bottom line, the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings hate Indiana's resume. The NET rankings apparently carries more weight with blowout wins to mid-majors and wins in November and December over improving during the season and ending the regular season on a four-game winning streak. Basically the current system places value on blowing teams out, does not value close wins against weaker opponents and penalizes teams that suffer blowout losses even if it's to better teams. All of this happened to IUBB. 

IUBB basically has to win the Big Ten tournament in order to punch a ticket. But personally, I think they are good enough to make the tournament right now without anymore wins. But that's just me. It is what it is.