Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2021) PF Trey Kaufman to Purdue

14 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Hmm, I saw him more of a shooter than post player. Juwan didn’t do much outside the post

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Juwan was forced into the post due to a number of reasons (and was extremely effective there obviously). He was more than capable on the outside, just wasn’t able to show it often, especially later in his career. They way Kaufman moves and plays reminded me a lot of how Juwan’s skillset could have been featured with better roster construction. 

FWIW, I haven’t watched a ton of Kaufman, but I didn’t see him do much away from the basket when I did. Mainly referencing the Bloom South game. 

23 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Juwan was forced into the post due to a number of reasons (and was extremely effective there obviously). He was more than capable on the outside, just wasn’t able to show it often, especially later in his career. They way Kaufman moves and plays reminded me a lot of how Juwan’s skillset could have been featured with better roster construction. 

FWIW, I haven’t watched a ton of Kaufman, but I didn’t see him do much away from the basket when I did. Mainly referencing the Bloom South game. 

I don't really think it was about opportunity for Morgan on the perimeter, it was more a lack of performance out there. There's more to perimeter play than just shooting, but he did take 88 3's his senior year and only made 29.5%. As a junior he took 53 3's and was slightly better at 30%, but the reality was that he really wasn't a very good shooter in his IU career. I think the post was where he was best suited, not where he was necessarily forced. 

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't really think it was about opportunity for Morgan on the perimeter, it was more a lack of performance out there. There's more to perimeter play than just shooting, but he did take 88 3's his senior year and only made 29.5%. As a junior he took 53 3's and was slightly better at 30%, but the reality was that he really wasn't a very good shooter in his IU career. I think the post was where he was best suited, not where he was necessarily forced. 

I imagine he would have worked more on his shooting if he hadn’t been stuck at center his final two years

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I imagine he would have worked more on his shooting if he hadn’t been stuck at center his final two years

88 3-pt attempts seems like a lot for someone stuck at center. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Out of how many shots taken?

No idea. Doesn’t really matter. 88 attempts from 3 is a lot for a Center. I know I wish he had taken less at that percentage. 

9 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Your saying Juwan wasn’t stuck at center taking 88. 

My original reply was to a post saying he was forced into the post and did not have perimeter opportunities because of it. While the position he played was center most of his last two years, he was on the perimeter a lot, he just wasn't all that effective there.

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My original reply was to a post saying he was forced into the post and did not have perimeter opportunities because of it. While the position he played was center most of his last two years, he was on the perimeter a lot, he just wasn't all that effective there.

He took almost 4 shots in the post to every shot on the perimeter to say he was on the perimeter a lot is very disingenuous. 

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He took almost 4 shots in the post to every shot on the perimeter to say he was on the perimeter a lot is very disingenuous. 

Where are you getting those numbers? Yeah, it's not disingenous, it's correct. 

33 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Where are you getting those numbers? Yeah, it's not disingenous, it's correct. 

So to recap. Your claim is Juwan Morgan was not stuck at center because he took a small percentage of his shots on the perimeter. 

48 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So to recap. Your claim is Juwan Morgan was not stuck at center because he took a small percentage of his shots on the perimeter. 

Um yeah, not at all. You turned this into a labeling thing about being a center. My original point, which never mentioned the word "center", nor did the person I originally quoted, is completely accurate, that Morgan had plenty of opportunity on the perimeter.

The original post that I quoted said Morgan was stuck in the post, and that he was more than capable on the outside but wasn't provided the opportunity to show it. 

He took 88 3's (also, just because a shot is not a 3 doesn't make it's a post touch, nor does it mean that the shot wasn't created from the perimeter) which is a lot for someone supposedly stuck in the post. He had plenty of opportunity to "show it". 

If you watched, IU ran a dribble drive, handoff/ballscreen offense most of the season. Our bigs, including Morgan, were constantly on the perimeter in dribble hand off situations and ball screen situations. 

The opportunities were there. The fact is Morgan, who was a fantastic player at IU,  but struggled shooting from the perimeter. It was not because of a lack of opportunities, he had plenty. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Um yeah, not at all. You turned this into a labeling thing about being a center. My original point, which never mentioned the word "center", nor did the person I originally quoted, is completely accurate, that Morgan had plenty of opportunity on the perimeter.

The original post that I quoted said Morgan was stuck in the post, and that he was more than capable on the outside but wasn't provided the opportunity to show it. 

He took 88 3's (also, just because a shot is not a 3 doesn't make it's a post touch, nor does it mean that the shot wasn't created from the perimeter) which is a lot for someone supposedly stuck in the post. He had plenty of opportunity to "show it". 

If you watched, IU ran a dribble drive, handoff/ballscreen offense most of the season. Our bigs, including Morgan, were constantly on the perimeter in dribble hand off situations and ball screen situations. 

The opportunities were there. The fact is Morgan, who was a fantastic player at IU,  but struggled shooting from the perimeter. It was not because of a lack of opportunities, he had plenty. 

Which skill set do you think he spent more time developing. The one he spent 80% of his time doing or 20% of his time doing?  

You can’t just pretend like his being stuck at center didn’t effect him. His training regiment was to play center. The skills he would have worked on were to play in the post because he spent 80% of his time there.  

It’s easy dismiss him because of what he did do. But you aren’t being fair to what he could have done. The opportunity to take the shots is a lot different than the opportunity to be that kind of player. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Which skill set do you think he spent more time developing. The one he spent 80% of his time doing or 20% of his time doing?  

You can’t just pretend like his being stuck at center didn’t effect him. His training regiment was to play center. The skills he would have worked on were to play in the post because he spent 80% of his time there.  

It’s easy dismiss him because of what he did do. But you aren’t being fair to what he could have done. The opportunity to take the shots is a lot different than the opportunity to be that kind of player. 

You really think he didn't spend the offseason heading into his senior year working on shooting  and perimeter play? If I recall, he declared for the draft to get feedback after his junior year. I'd guess they told him to work on his shooting, most likely. You think he ignored that advice and spent the entire offseason working on up and under post moves and drop steps? I doubt it.  

He spent plenty of time on the perimeter his senior year, you don't think he worked on that during the offseason? He took 88 3-point shots as a senior, 4th most on the team and 35 more than he took his junior year (also 87 more than all of our centers combined last season), and you don't think he worked on that?

At no point did I dismiss Morgan. He was a fantastic player. But, the point that he didn't have opportunities on the perimeter and was "stuck on the post" is not reality. Yes, he had to play the position of center, but that impacted him more negatively defensively than offensively. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You really think he didn't spend the offseason heading into his senior year working on shooting  and perimeter play? If I recall, he declared for the draft to get feedback after his junior year. I'd guess they told him to work on his shooting, most likely. You think he ignored that advice and spent the entire offseason working on up and under post moves and drop steps? I doubt it.  

He spent plenty of time on the perimeter his senior year, you don't think he worked on that during the offseason? He took 88 3-point shots as a senior, 4th most on the team and 35 more than he took his junior year (also 87 more than all of our centers combined last season), and you don't think he worked on that?

At no point did I dismiss Morgan. He was a fantastic player. But, the point that he didn't have opportunities on the perimeter and was "stuck on the post" is not reality. Yes, he had to play the position of center, but that impacted him more negatively defensively than offensively. 

There’s more to being a perimeter player than working on your shooting a bit in the offseason. And no I doubt he worked on it as much as actual perimeter players

There’s more to being a perimeter player than working on your shooting a bit in the offseason. And no I doubt he worked on it as much as actual perimeter players

Are you arguing that he shouldn’t have been in the post but should have been a perimeter player? If so, not sure you watched what made juwan Morgan, juwan Morgan.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app