Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

13 hours ago, schoosier said:

If you self report a few calls your program gets Tom Crean. Louisville & North Carolina cheat and win championships. I don't like the NCAA 

Don't disagree with that, but don't forget that Sampson was a REPEAT offender and we were stupid enough to hire him knowing he'd already had an NCAA run-in.  Hiring an offender and then having him repeat his offenses on our watch; maybe we were lucky it wasn't worse than it was.

37 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I really think it comes down to a few different issues here. If you give a program the death penalty for something like calling recruits too often, it gives the impression that you are really tough in your regulations. "Everyone look how harshly we handled this! We don't let this stuff slide." Of course, there may have been some personal vendettas thrown in there too.

Now, if you have a couple of programs that have recently won titles and there are stories of prostitution, kids taking "classes" tailored to push them through, and basically making a mockery of college athletics, and you are totally blindsided by it all, it makes it look like you really have no control at all. People may even start to question if there is even a point to your role in the whole process. Then you start to realize that your cushy job and all your cushy perks may come to an end.

Sometimes it's better for self-preservation to say, "There's nothing to see here folks!" than have people and institutions start questioning if you are really needed at all.

Indiana sanctioned themselves, the NCAA just accepted.  Indiana screwed Indiana there.

55 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Indiana sanctioned themselves, the NCAA just accepted.  Indiana screwed Indiana there.

Of course, there was a little more to it than that as well. The whole culture of the program was shite. Hard to say we would have been much better off if Sampson had been allowed to stay and really get entrenched at Indiana.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Don't disagree with that, but don't forget that Sampson was a REPEAT offender and we were stupid enough to hire him knowing he'd already had an NCAA run-in.  Hiring an offender and then having him repeat his offenses on our watch; maybe we were lucky it wasn't worse than it was.

it's like repeating jaywalking, compared to what went on at those universities.

54 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep kinda how we have rolled for about 17 years. 

Yep.  I have such low expectations for the IU administration.

6 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Of course, there was a little more to it than that as well. The whole culture of the program was shite. Hard to say we would have been much better off if Sampson had been allowed to stay and really get entrenched at Indiana.

I'm aware.  I didn't want Samsung (nope, not using his real name) in the first place; I'm fine with second chances but he should've gotten that chance somewhere else.  I was just pointing out that really the NCAA didn't give us a death penalty for phone calls, we did it to ourselves.

Moral of story, don't self-report and sure as heck don't do the NCAA's job for them by punishing yourself.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Yep.  I have such low expectations for the IU administration.

I'm aware.  I didn't want Samsung (nope, not using his real name) in the first place; I'm fine with second chances but he should've gotten that chance somewhere else.  I was just pointing out that really the NCAA didn't give us a death penalty for phone calls, we did it to ourselves.

Moral of story, don't self-report and sure as heck don't do the NCAA's job for them by punishing yourself.

Yep look at Louisville they self punished. It doesn't ever help. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep look at Louisville they self punished. It doesn't ever help. 

Of course not.  The NCAA won't refuse self-proposed; they'll either accept and be done, or accept and add to the self-proposed sanctions.

It's stupid to do what we did.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Of course not.  The NCAA won't refuse self-proposed; they'll either accept and be done, or accept and add to the self-proposed sanctions.

It's stupid to do what we did.

There was a good 5+ years of stupid going on at IU at that time.