Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

OG Anunoby - New York Knicks

2 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

#1 seed in the East, swept by #4, will apparently do that. It's hard to keep a coaching job these days

Recycle one of the old ones.  Interested to see if Hammon (sp?) will end up with a head coaching job in the next few years. 

Just saw a tweet that suggested OG might be involved in the trade for Kawhi... Not sure who the guy is because it was a reply to Woj..... Probably not well sourced but thought I'd post here anyway...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Cheaney40 said:

Just saw a tweet that suggested OG might be involved in the trade for Kawhi... Not sure who the guy is because it was a reply to Woj..... Probably not well sourced but thought I'd post here anyway...

Wow, this is a weird trade for the Raptors. OG is probably their best young asset and Derozan was the face of their franchise for half a decade.

Wow, this is a weird trade for the Raptors. OG is probably their best young asset and Derozan was the face of their franchise for half a decade.
Again, I'm doubting that rumor, can't see them giving up OG for a rental life Kawhi...

22 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

You're never gonna be a contender with Derozan as your best player, and his contract was really bad. I don't understand why the Spurs would do this though unless they just want to give Kawhi a middle finger by shipping him out of the country. 

Woj is saying it's Kawhi & Danny Green to Toronto for DeRozan, Jakob Poeltl, and 2019 1st Round pick.
Just saw that too. Good move by the Raptors to keep him. Who knows if he was ever really a part of the talks..

Just saw that too. Good move by the Raptors to keep him. Who knows if he was ever really a part of the talks..

I wish he went to the spurs TBH. Pop could have turned him into kawhi 2.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

Uh yeah. Why did Toronto make this move? Kawhi is unlikely to stay in Toronto unless Drake can really put the sell on. Otherwise, its just one season of a guy and a team that has no chance of even winning the East imo. 

15 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Uh yeah. Why did Toronto make this move? Kawhi is unlikely to stay in Toronto unless Drake can really put the sell on. Otherwise, its just one season of a guy and a team that has no chance of even winning the East imo. 

I agree. I could see them making the finals starting Lowry, Green, OG, Kawhi, and Serge with backups of JV, Van Fleet, and more. But Boston and Philly would still give them a run for their money and are poised for longevity. Also the Spurs could have probably gotten more elsewhere IMO

21 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Because Demar Derozan isn't a good player. Now they're free of his contract and can rebuild if Kawhi leaves next summer. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I agree. I could see them making the finals starting Lowry, Green, OG, Kawhi, and Serge with backups of JV, Van Fleet, and more. But Boston and Philly would still give them a run for their money and are poised for longevity. Also the Spurs could have probably gotten more elsewhere IMO

Where do you think they could have gotten more? I'm honestly surprised they got an all-star back in Derozan. Figured most teams would shy away from providing a star just because Kawhi has been so outspoken about free agency after this year and wanting to go to the Lakers. Its a big gamble for Toronto. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Because Demar Derozan isn't a good player. Now they're free of his contract and can rebuild if Kawhi leaves next summer. 

Isn't a good player? Where do you get that from? He didn't show up in the playoffs but he seems like a really good player to me. Not a superstar by any stretch like Kawhi but a guy you can build around. He's definitely overpaid. I'm not sure what you could gotten that is better than him if you're the Spurs given the situation. I think they did very well. 

3 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Isn't a good player? Where do you get that from? He didn't show up in the playoffs but he seems like a really good player to me. Not a superstar by any stretch like Kawhi but a guy you can build around. He's definitely overpaid. I'm not sure what you could gotten that is better than him if you're the Spurs given the situation. I think they did very well. 

He's a lot like Andrew Wiggins where his box score numbers look good, but the advanced numbers aren't kind to him. Especially his playoff advanced statistics. -VORP, -BPM, high usage but only 0.39 WS/48. A career playoff PER of 15.8. He's also a bad 3 point shooter, only shooting 23.5% in the playoffs for his career. 

It depends on what the Spurs are wanting to do. Derozan doesn't move the needle for them in the West, imo, unless Popovich can work his magic. I personally think they would've been better off trading Kawhi for young guys and/or picks if such a package was available. The 1st round pick they did get is top-20 protected. I think there's a decent chance it falls in the range, in which case it would turn into two second round picks. 

27 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He's a lot like Andrew Wiggins where his box score numbers look good, but the advanced numbers aren't kind to him. Especially his playoff advanced statistics. -VORP, -BPM, high usage but only 0.39 WS/48. A career playoff PER of 15.8. He's also a bad 3 point shooter, only shooting 23.5% in the playoffs for his career. 

It depends on what the Spurs are wanting to do. Derozan doesn't move the needle for them in the West, imo, unless Popovich can work his magic. I personally think they would've been better off trading Kawhi for young guys and/or picks if such a package was available. The 1st round pick they did get is top-20 protected. I think there's a decent chance it falls in the range, in which case it would turn into two second round picks. 

I do see the comparison to Wiggins and agree the stats look good but the advanced numbers don't lie. 

Two things: 1) lets see what he does with a competent coach like Pop. Toronto was always so guard oriented. Maybe now he can work inside out with guys like Pau Gasol and that might improve those numbers as well as being in a more structured system. 

2) My reason for thinking the Spurs did well, which is what I described above is Kawhi made it almost impossible to get a full return on him. The fact he might sit out, has this phantom long-term injury, and publicly stated he wants to go to the Lakers makes it hard for a team to invest the type of package you mentioned. Spurs obviously weren't going to trade him to the Lakers. That really only leaves Boston in my mind that could have come up with a package around Jaylen Brown, 1st round pick next year, Terry Rozier? It just seemed like the Spurs had very limited options in this regard. 

51 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Where do you think they could have gotten more? I'm honestly surprised they got an all-star back in Derozan. Figured most teams would shy away from providing a star just because Kawhi has been so outspoken about free agency after this year and wanting to go to the Lakers. Its a big gamble for Toronto. 

I personally would value a Hart, Kuzma, and picks trade over what the Raptors gave up. Same with anything from the Clippers and Sixers.