Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

IU OVER unc POST GAME THREAD

I wouldn't worry about those wins not looking good. Rankings are weekly and are mostly for fans to look at a brag about their team. When we get to march the committee will compare team sheets ( based on rpi) If Fort Wayne wins their league like the are projected and continue to do well in non conference( notre dame on Wednesday) their rpi will be in the 70's which will not be considered a bad loss on the road by the committee even though I still think it was. If in march Kansas, North Carolina and Indiana are close on the seeding line those wins will be significant regardless if they are ranked 7 spots better then iu

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Certainly looks like those wins will be valuable come march. The FW loss....I guess time will tell but, that team looked great to me. Hoping it wasn't just a case of being jacked for an in-state game.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They're long and pressure the ball. If we take care of the ball we have a chance. After rebounding the ball well against UNC while also getting back in transition I'm a bit more confident vs. UL. The key will be limiting turnovers and attacking the rim.

Edit: they also struggle to score. If they could score they would have blown pu out. They have a few shooters but mostly just a slew of bigs that could cause TB trouble.

So say, we match or better them rebounding and stay under 18 turnovers. What do you think we need offensively? Do we need to be lights out? Trying to gauge how tough it will be.

So say, we match or better them rebounding and stay under 18 turnovers. What do you think we need offensively? Do we need to be lights out? Trying to gauge how tough it will be.

If we out rebound them it won't need to be a stellar offensive performance. It's the same ol UofL team as years past. Big and high pressure D with no shooting ability and no good one on one scorer. If we out rebound them and negate their bigs shouldn't be too difficult.

However I am not saying that's an easy if.

Louisville is currently the #1 adjusted defense in college basketball according to KenPom, which worries me because if they can slow things down, make it a half court game (see IPFW), create turnovers, and prevent IU from running, I'm not sure how they can win. That formula seems to be Indiana's kryptonite over the last several years.

Louisville is currently the #1 adjusted defense in college basketball according to KenPom, which worries me because if they can slow things down, make it a half court game (see IPFW), create turnovers, and prevent IU from running, I'm not sure how they can win. That formula seems to be Indiana's kryptonite over the last several years.

We did great in the half court against KU and I'm not just talking about JBJ's 3's late. But then we were bad in it against IPFW. Guess it'll depend on which team shows up.

8 minutes ago, 716e11th said:

We did great in the half court against KU and I'm not just talking about JBJ's 3's late. But then we were bad in it against IPFW. Guess it'll depend on which team shows up.

I don't think you can really compare those two games. Indiana and Kansas ran alot, which gave Indiana more chances to score points.. IPFW slowed everything down and made it a half court game for 40 minutes, which is what I see Louisville doing. 

I don't think you can really compare those two games. Indiana and Kansas ran alot, which gave Indiana more chances to score points.. IPFW slowed everything down and made it a half court game for 40 minutes, which is what I see Louisville doing. 

Agreed that Louisville's defensive style is typically our kryptonite, but disagree that we should just look at IPFW as an example of why we are in trouble against Louisville. IPFW is the outlier performance of our season so far.

13 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Agreed that Louisville's defensive style is typically our kryptonite, but disagree that we should just look at IPFW as an example of why we are in trouble against Louisville. IPFW is the outlier performance of our season so far.

IPFW is the only team who tried and was able to do it to IU so far. But look at previous years under the Crean regime. For example, IU continuously lost to Wisconsin for years. Bo Ryan's teams controlled the pace of play and made IU beat them in a half court game. Same thing with the Syracuse Sweet 16 game.. The zone was a big factor, but part of that was slowing the high powered offense down and making it a possession game. Just a few examples, but I've seen Crean teams struggle with these types of teams on numerous occasions. 

4 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

IPFW is the only team who tried and was able to do it to IU so far. But look at previous years under the Crean regime. For example, IU continuously lost to Wisconsin for years. Bo Ryan's teams controlled the pace of play and made IU beat them in a half court game. Same thing with the Syracuse Sweet 16 game.. The zone was a big factor, but part of that was slowing the high powered offense down and making it a possession game. Just a few examples, but I've seen Crean teams struggle with these types of teams on numerous occasions. 

The UNC game was largely a half court game, and we excelled. UNC wanted to run, and I believe we held them to just 2 transition points the entire game. Also, we were really without OG for the IPFW game, which changes things pretty significantly for this team. 

I'd also caution against comparing this team to Crean's previous IU teams. IMO this team is much different than any he's had since he got to IU. We finally have the size and length you'd want in a team. The 2013 team had an extremely small backcourt, and even VO while athletic was small for the 3 in some cases. Last year's team, especially by the end, was also pretty small on the perimeter, starting Yogi and Z. 

This team really has size and length at every position and off the bench, making it much more conducive to a half court game. It's also Crean's best defensive and rebounding team, also making it conducive to the half-court.  

I'm not saying getting into a slow-down, slug it out half-court battle against Louisville is the game-plan, but I think of all Crean's IU teams this one is set-up best to excel in that type of game. 

I agree that Crean's teams struggles against that style of play historically, but historical data doesn't hold much merit outside of the current season. Different team, different strengths and weaknesses regardless of coaching philosophy and style. I like our chances against UL.

The UNC game was largely a half court game, and we excelled. UNC wanted to run, and I believe we held them to just 2 transition points the entire game. Also, we were really without OG for the IPFW game, which changes things pretty significantly for this team. 

I'd also caution against comparing this team to Crean's previous IU teams. IMO this team is much different than any he's had since he got to IU. We finally have the size and length you'd want in a team. The 2013 team had an extremely small backcourt, and even VO while athletic was small for the 3 in some cases. Last year's team, especially by the end, was also pretty small on the perimeter, starting Yogi and Z. 

This team really has size and length at every position and off the bench, making it much more conducive to a half court game. It's also Crean's best defensive and rebounding team, also making it conducive to the half-court.  

I'm not saying getting into a slow-down, slug it out half-court battle against Louisville is the game-plan, but I think of all Crean's IU teams this one is set-up best to excel in that type of game. 

I agree. Can't compare this team with past teams. Completely different makeup.

I was specifically referring to IU's half court offense - not transition. I thought we had great ball movement as well as inside post feeds against KU. I remember thinking how good they did in their half court sets.

On 12/6/2016 at 10:26 AM, Baltimore Hoosier said:

IPFW didn't win because they made it a half court game, they won because they clogged the lane to prevent IU from driving effectively, swarmed with help any time IU caught the ball in the post, and dared IU to beat them from the perimeter. That will work when IU doesn't shoot the ball particularly well from the perimeter like they did against IPFW but it is a recipe for disaster if IU is hitting shots at or near their normal percentage.