Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

[quote name="mamasa" post="32755" timestamp="1390777792"]I'm into post-apocalyptic fiction/society rebuilding/fantasy. I've enjoyed the Apocalypsis series by Elle Casey, the Soulkeepers series by G.P. Ching, The Breeders by Katie French, The I.P.O. by Dan (not Dean) Koontz, the Gone series by Michael Grant, and the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. For a different, more traditional fiction, Catching the Westbound by DC Hicks was great!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote] I'm into the same. Definitely read wool and the remaining then. The road was great too and I enjoyed Justin Cronin the passage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

That's how it goes, when a movie is based on a book the book is always better.

Except with The Lord of the Rings.  I read the books after seeing the movies.  Deciding to read those books was one of the five worst decisions of my life.  

Except with The Lord of the Rings.  I read the books after seeing the movies.  Deciding to read those books was one of the five worst decisions of my life.  

Been a long time (like 25 years) since I read the books. From what I remember, I can see the LOR movies being better. I am, however, not convinced about what I've seen on the Hobbit. 

I'm finally getting around to reading George W Bush's 'Decision Points'. Been wanting to read it for a while but the 500 pages is a little daunting. Only one chapter in and I'm hooked. Can't wait to get deeper into it!

Sent from the can using BtownBanners

I'm currently reading Orson Scott Card's "The Folk of the Fringe". It is book number 59 of my quest to read all 65 of his novels and collections of short stories. He's so prolific however, that he has literally published a new novel while I was reading them. This will end up having taken about 18 months if I stay on pace, and when it ends I predict I'll feel empty and listless not having another one to pick up.

Actually, I'll probably end up moving to his plays and non-fiction work. Who am I kidding?

I'm currently reading Orson Scott Card's "The Folk of the Fringe". It is book number 59 of my quest to read all 65 of his novels and collections of short stories. He's so prolific however, that he has literally published a new novel while I was reading them. This will end up having taken about 18 months if I stay on pace, and when it ends I predict I'll feel empty and listless not having another one to pick up.

Actually, I'll probably end up moving to his plays and non-fiction work. Who am I kidding?

Is it worth reading all of the follow ups to Ender's Game?  I have read Enders Shadow (really good) and Shadow of the Hegemon (good); Shadow Puppets (meh) but nothing past that.  

How'd you like it? I'm personally on a massive Jack Reacher kick. I've gotten through 18 books of the series this year.

Enjoyed it more than the movie.  I've read all of them that have been released, and have enjoyed every one of them.  I've even read Jack Reacher's Rules.

The movie wasn't bad but Tom Cruise can't play a convincing Reacher since Reacher is 6'5 between 220 and 250 while Cruise is slightly tall for a hobbit.

Is it worth reading all of the follow ups to Ender's Game?  I have read Enders Shadow (really good) and Shadow of the Hegemon (good); Shadow Puppets (meh) but nothing past that.  

The rest of the Shadow series is pretty good, except the very end and last short story which are kind of lame and not very well thought out. It gets weirder than it needed to really. But, I really enjoyed it, enough so that after reading Ender's Game, it's two direct sequels, and the Shadow series, I was addicted enough to continue reading the rest of his books.

I'd say his best book is Ender's Game followed by Lovelock (but that's a huge tease because it's the first book of a duet that will never be finished) and then the Pathfinder series. I'm bias though, I wouldn't say he has a bad book. He has books with serious flaws, and he has some problems with writing that he repeats frequently, but overall he's so good. One of my favorite authors to read. Even his heavily Mormon works are really interesting and fun to read. He does such heavy and in depth research for his books that it's hard not to be drawn in.

Enjoyed it more than the movie.  I've read all of them that have been released, and have enjoyed every one of them.  I've even read Jack Reacher's Rules.

The movie wasn't bad but Tom Cruise can't play a convincing Reacher since Reacher is 6'5 between 220 and 250 while Cruise is slightly tall for a hobbit.

I'm all caught up on Jack Reacher unfortunately, so I have to find a new series to read.  Have you read any of the American Assassin series?  And if so, how'd you like it? 

If anybody is into WWII History Pacific Crucible is a great read by Ian Toll. Details the lead up to the Pacific War and then the first 6-7 months of the war from Pearl Harbor to Midway. Its part of a trilogy I am just starting the second the in the trilogy.

Big fan of war memoirs. The Sledge and Leckie memoirs are two of the best books I've ever read. Is this trilogy similar to that or historical fiction or something else?

Big fan of war memoirs. The Sledge and Leckie memoirs are two of the best books I've ever read. Is this trilogy similar to that or historical fiction or something else?

Its not a memoir, the author is 40ish.  Its not fiction either.  Its a Non Fiction book detailing what the author considered significant moments in the lead up to the war and the individual battles. 

He actually took time to explain how the military came to take power in Japan, and talked about the rivalry between the Army and Navy.  He also spends a great deal of time explain why Yamamto was against attacking the US and after he had successfully attacked them he supported asking for peace.  

Its primarily with a focus on the US, but he does a good job of giving the British and Japanese perspective.  Theres even a section where the British come to Washington to hash out how the alliance is going to work. 

Another book you might like is called Given up for Dead is about the Battle of Wake Island its also just a non fiction book about the battle of Wake island.  Its not a memoir but its focus was so much tighter than it almost reads like one. 

I'm all caught up on Jack Reacher unfortunately, so I have to find a new series to read. Have you read any of the American Assassin series? And if so, how'd you like it?

I have not read that series.

Unfortunately I'm not caught up on Reacher, I didn't realize make me had been released and now I can't find a paperback version.

I'm all caught up on Jack Reacher unfortunately, so I have to find a new series to read.  Have you read any of the American Assassin series?  And if so, how'd you like it? 

Do it. I enjoyed it almost as much as Reacher, and I am a huge Reacher fan. Mitch Rapp (main character in the AA series) is equally as bada**. Different feel to it tho, as Rapp is CIA and Reacher is just a bad dude who's always in the wrong place lol.

For war memoirs, check out Iron Men of Metz by Tobias Vogt.  Incredible stories, not the most well written, but very impactful.  One of the Iron Men is one of my customers, really great guy.