Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierAloha

AREAS OF COACHING

Sorry, I'll contribute.

1) recruiting
2) developing talent
3) preparation/game to game adjustments/in game coaching
4) academics
5) everything else
Last) PR, I don't care how a coach handles the media. If you win, everyone will shut up anyway.

Regarding PR, do you feel it's important to hype the program to alum/boosters for facility upgrades?

Didn't say it was about me "dude". I was pointing out your fallacy in saying its a stalemate between the golden era fans and the coach. I know many many people who are in their 20s and teens who want Cream gone. I know many golden age era fans who want Crean gone. Did you hear the boos after the Purdue game? Do you see the empty student seats? Do you see the empty seats outside the student section? It might be a sellout but their aren't bodies in those seats. Crean is losing this battle. It's not bc he is a terrible coach. He is just not living up to his it's indiana expectations. Last year was bad and this season isn't anything to write home about. He doesn't get a bye for year 3 bc he actually declined in conference that season.

So he has had 2 good years and both had Cody Zeller. in terms of expectations the only year he exceeded them were Zellers freshman season. The other years he hasn't met them. I'll give him credit for winning the Big Ten the following year, but he bombed out of the BTT, and we struggled vs Temple before getting beat too early by Cuse (not meeting expectations). Last year isn't a blip, go look at his Marquette record. He had Wade and other than that it was similar to what we see here outside the Zeller years.

No, no, no.  His coaching history is irrelevant, it's just the only definitive thing we have to look at.  It doesn't matter that in his career spanning the better part of 20 years he's wallowed in mediocrity more than anything.  It doesn't matter that his "terrific job" at Marquette was a winning % of 66 with 1 conference title and 1 trip further than the second round of the NCAAs, oh and missing the tournament completely 4 times.  It doesn't matter that the "Big East power" he built never finished better than tied for 4th.

No, no, no. His coaching history is irrelevant, it's just the only definitive thing we have to look at. It doesn't matter that in his career spanning the better part of 20 years he's wallowed in mediocrity more than anything. It doesn't matter that his "terrific job" at Marquette was a winning % of 66 with 1 conference title and 1 trip further than the second round of the NCAAs, oh and missing the tournament completely 4 times. It doesn't matter that the "Big East power" he built never finished better than tied for 4th.

It is irrelevant to what he's doing at Indiana. Has absolutely no bearing on the success of this program. IU fans sure are good at living in the past

Problem is when those fans don't have a deep understanding of today's game. You guys kill me. How are you so sure!? I wish I could be that sure that Crean's the right guy.

I understand everything starts with recruiting which is greatly influenced by handlers and money passed through them, at least for blue chips. I also understand you can't be stuck in the middle ground, as we seem to be. Either ante up and flirt with the dealer, or build teams with experienced senior and junior leadership.

Regarding PR, do you feel it's important to hype the program to alum/boosters for facility upgrades?

Sure it helps. But I still feel winning takes care of all the PR stuff. Also, I'm not sure I want my coach involved with promoting ideas to boosters. Leave that to the AD or other administrators.

I understand everything starts with recruiting which is greatly influenced by handlers and money passed through them, at least for blue chips. I also understand you can't be stuck in the middle ground, as we seem to be. Either ante up and flirt with the dealer, or build teams with experienced senior and junior leadership.

Here we go; I think building teams over a few years is a great way to go but it isn't going to put IU in position to be consistently elite. It's a real dilemma. The game has just changed so much since IU was last relevant.

Sure it helps. But I still feel winning takes care of all the PR stuff. Also, I'm not sure I want my coach involved with promoting ideas to boosters. Leave that to the AD or other administrators.

That's understandable and agree to a certain extent.  I still think the head coach needs to be involved but not to the level where he becomes the athletic department.

You really can't wade through the off topic conversation?

It's easy to do but when other posters open the thread and read the same ole crap they're less likely to follow the thread topic.  More than likely they'll either close the thread or jump into the off thread topic.  See above.  It's so difficult not to reply to off topic posts or take it somewhere else?

It is irrelevant to what he's doing at Indiana. Has absolutely no bearing on the success of this program. IU fans sure are good at living in the past

It is relevant being that's it's the only definitive thing we have to look at, and a sample the size of his is probably a pretty good indicator of his ability.  It's hardly impressive.  You want to base an opinion on hopes and dreams, be my guest but I will not join you; I prefer to look at something definitive and in this case it's not on his side.

His ability does have bearing on the success of this program, and the better part of 20 years says he doesn't have the ability to get the job done.  I've given him credit multiple times before, just today I said he was the right man for the job at one time, but I have seen nothing to change my opinion.  Only one thing will make me rethink my opinion, and a team that has to rely on low percentage shots falling to overcome a horrid defense won't do it.

It is relevant being that's it's the only definitive thing we have to look at, and a sample the size of his is probably a pretty good indicator of his ability. It's hardly impressive. You want to base an opinion on hopes and dreams, be my guest but I will not join you; I prefer to look at something definitive and in this case it's not on his side.

His ability does have bearing on the success of this program, and the better part of 20 years says he doesn't have the ability to get the job done. I've given him credit multiple times before, just today I said he was the right man for the job at one time, but I have seen nothing to change my opinion. Only one thing will make me rethink my opinion, and a team that has to rely on low percentage shots falling to overcome a horrid defense won't do it.

Do you realize how small the difference between success and failure is? It's so small that it's often arbitrary. A bounce of the ball, and we tie to win the B1G. Think about that. That's why I'm not as gung ho as most. That's why I don't stick my nose up at Crean and act like IU is above him.

Do you realize how small the difference between success and failure is? It's so small that it's often arbitrary. A bounce of the ball, and we tie to win the B1G. Think about that. That's why I'm not as gung ho as most. That's why I don't stick my nose up at Crean and act like IU is above him.

if that's the case, why do the same programs win year in and year out? It's not arbitrary. It's a matter of having the talent and doing something with it. Believe it or not it's not a coin flip.

My final and only Crean comment in THIS thread. If it makes SSQ feel better, I don't honestly believe Crean is a bad coach. I believe he does some things extraordinarily well. But his track record and results don't provide the elite stature that I hope IU can attain. I would rather not settle for being a second rate program if someone can do better.

if that's the case, why do the same programs win year in and year out? It's not arbitrary. It's a matter of having the talent and doing something with it. Believe it or not it's not a coin flip.

It's a matter of getting your team in position; then it's on. Then it's all up in the air. The game happens in the air!