Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Alford Bailey

Recruiting Momentum

All fair, objective, accurate?

To me this recruiting concern is not Crean bashing. Maybe there is other reasons for the misses. If so, what are they?

And why do people get so bent out of shape when discussing Crean's faults? I don't get it. I would understand if they weren't factual but MOST of the Crean concerns are mired in fact.

The recruiting dilemma is conjecture at this point but the concerns are valid.

I believe he explained why people get "bent out of shape" when he said ever single thing you post is a shot at Crean. Criticism loses objectivity when it's constant and reactionary.

Would have been nice to have Goodluck Okonoboh on this roster.

I agree on the defensive end. I think we need more than him on the defensive end. Offensively I think he would struggle to find a role on this team. I think we have been more consistent when Hanner has been on the bench. That is due to having 5 players with the ability to score. Defensively I hate our scheme which seems to be more of trying to confuse the other team rather than fundamental team defense. With our guards I almost wish we ran a press similar to VCU. We have the speed and athleticism. I feel our offense is best in transition. To me a press seems too obvious to fit with that.

To me this recruiting concern is not Crean bashing. Maybe there is other reasons for the misses. If so, what are they?

And why do people get so bent out of shape when discussing Crean's faults? I don't get it. I would understand if they weren't factual but MOST of the Crean concerns are mired in fact.

Crean has faults. I 100% agree on that. He has a lot of them. It's just that all of these posts find a way to come back to him. There's no purpose to them other than to come back to Crean. It's just completely unnecessary in most of your posts. In these threads, ok fine. But like throwing in a potshot in the general college bball thread when not even discussing us? Uncalled for.

I agree on the defensive end. I think we need more than him on the defensive end. Offensively I think he would struggle to find a role on this team. I think we have been more consistent when Hanner has been on the bench. That is due to having 5 players with the ability to score. Defensively I hate our scheme which seems to be more of trying to confuse the other team rather than fundamental team defense. With our guards I almost wish we ran a press similar to VCU. We have the speed and athleticism. I feel our offense is best in transition. To me a press seems too obvious to fit with that.

Do you think Crean is fundamentally opposed to the press as a strategy to be used all game long, or does he think our players aren't "smart" enough with positioning and roles to properly execute it? He's pulled out a press a couple times, but it's usually just a show, not necessarily an aggressive press.

The whole deal here is we need to sign a servicable big and thats pretty much it.

Anyone that cant see that we're struggling there just refuses to see it.

Its not anti Crean so much as  a simple observation regarding of the state of the program.

Small ball only goes so far.

Land  Bryant and watch people shut up.

I agree that most of Crean's concerns are mired in fact. I also feel he does some damn good things. I wish more people could understand both of those statements and not go extreme both ways.

The whole deal here is we need to sign a servicable big and thats pretty much it.
Its not anti Crean so much as a simple observation regarding of the state of the program.
Land Bryant and watch people shut up.

Miss on Bryant, and it'll be interesting to see who the next man up is. Pap/Mods have any ideas?

Its not anti Crean so much as a simple observation regarding of the state of the program.
Land Bryant and watch people shut up.

agree, I would be silenced on the recruiting issues for sure!

Crean has faults. I 100% agree on that. He has a lot of them. It's just that all of these posts find a way to come back to him. There's no purpose to them other than to come back to Crean. It's just completely unnecessary in most of your posts. In these threads, ok fine. But like throwing in a potshot in the general college bball thread when not even discussing us? Uncalled for.

What is your thoughts on why we havent landed one of these Bigs with the position wide open here and a track record of Bigs in the lottery?

Do you think Crean is fundamentally opposed to the press as a strategy to be used all game long, or does he think our players aren't "smart" enough with positioning and roles to properly execute it? He's pulled out a press a couple times, but it's usually just a show, not necessarily an aggressive press.

Hard to say. I would love a press as aggressive as our transition. It's kind of like our transition skews our offensive numbers to look great. I think a press would skew our offensive numbers to be serviceable. I do agree it's almost as if he uses to show it. I hate that as much as our switching up defenses to confuse. Work to our strengths. We don't have good size or depth beyond guards. Turn a problem into a strength. One of the many areas Crean could improve on.

I agree that most of Crean's concerns are mired in fact. I also feel he does some damn good things. I wish more people could understand both of those statements and not go extreme both ways.

thats why I'm on the fence more than others. He could still win me back, but I put a lot of stock in the state of the program and recruiting (roster management). I honestly look for reasons to root for Crean and there are a few that I'd miss if he was gone.

I agree on the defensive end. I think we need more than him on the defensive end. Offensively I think he would struggle to find a role on this team. I think we have been more consistent when Hanner has been on the bench. That is due to having 5 players with the ability to score. Defensively I hate our scheme which seems to be more of trying to confuse the other team rather than fundamental team defense. With our guards I almost wish we ran a press similar to VCU. We have the speed and athleticism. I feel our offense is best in transition. To me a press seems too obvious to fit with that

.He would've the perfect big for this system being we don't run thru the post.All we need is a rim protector with the ability to rebound and block shots..He would have changed this team.Watch one of UNLV's games.

Hanner has the physical ability but not the natural instincts.

What is your thoughts on why we havent landed one of these Bigs with the position wide open here and a track record of Bigs in the lottery?

I am not Hova but typically recruiting is at least a 2 year relationship (typically longer). Crean missed on GO which isn't surprising due to his friendship with Noah. Bryant would be a huge blow at this point. Losing Fischer hurt bad. I put that on the culture which is on Crean. The relationship thing hurt when Kenny left.

I agree with the poster who said that the word is out on Crean. It seems that all the good to great prospects, the aau circuit and opposing coaching staffs know that he isn't a very good coach and that he is a dead man walking.

It's like nobody in the basketball world takes Crean seriously. I'm not sure what indiana is doing here. It's not like he has top recruiting classes coming in over the next couple of years. I just don't see other top flight programs putting up with this.

Maybe that's the problem. Maybe indiana no longer views itself as a top flight ptogram.