Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Wanted the B1G to do well in the OOC season to shove something back at ESPN when they switch from their SEC football bias to slobbering all over the ACC. However, when it came down to it I was hoping pu would fall flat on their face.

Yeah same thing happened to me. My 10 yo asked me who we were cheering for and I initially said I wasn't sure. Just couldn't bring myself to cheer for purdont. So we cheered for vanilla as he likes to call them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Wanted the B1G to do well in the OOC season to shove something back at ESPN when they switch from their SEC football bias to slobbering all over the ACC. However, when it came down to it I was hoping pu would fall flat on their face.

So I guess u are pulling for Ohio st to beat North Carolina.........central. Buckeyes are in a tight one coming up on the half

I think Purdue looked good for the most part tonight. They had some silly TOs and the refs didn't do them any favors. I like them over MSU and maybe Wisconsin. 

The one thing Purdue is missing is a big time guard and that definitely showed on that last possession (smh lol). If they had just one guy who could dominate on the outside, they would easily be as good as we are.

The big difference in our rosters is we have guys who can handle the ball against other big time guards (as displayed against Kansas). They clearly do not have top talent at those 1-2 positions and I think that will hold them back just enough this year. 

I think Haas has NBA potential, and maybe after this season.

He is HUGE even by NBA standards.

Great touch. Can shoot free throws. Pretty good hands.

Solve the foul trouble issue and the sky is the limit.

Also, Swanigan is as advertised. Carsen Edwards is a solid fresh.

As expected, Purdue has a pretty good team. One great scoring guard away from being a title contender.

Glad V got the W.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

As expected, Purdue has a pretty good team. One great scoring guard away from being a title contender.

Glad V got the W.

20 years ago Haas signs a huge NBA contract. Current NBA Haas will get a look but nothing else. He's not athletic enough to make an impact in the NBA.

Swanigan has a chance to leave after this year if he continues to embrace playing in the paint. He's what the NBA is looking for in a stretch 4.

pu has a solid team but will lose games when they can punish smaller teams. They lack great guards and decent backup front court players to compete. I can see them finishing 3-6 in the B1G.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Glad V got the W.

I think Haas has a chance in the NBA also. He is not a flawless prospect by any means, but displays good touch and footwork consistently. Crucial for the 5 spot. You can't teach that height, either. 

20 years ago Haas signs a huge NBA contract. Current NBA Haas will get a look but nothing else. He's not athletic enough to make an impact in the NBA.

Swanigan has a chance to leave after this year if he continues to embrace playing in the paint. He's what the NBA is looking for in a stretch 4.

pu has a solid team but will lose games when they can punish smaller teams. They lack great guards and decent backup front court players to compete. I can see them finishing 3-6 in the B1G.

Much more athletic than given credit for. He needs to learn how to use his body on defense. But his low post moves are polished for a college sophomore. Runs fluidly. Moreso than TB.

Idk. Kid is impressive to me. He just can't stay on the floor.

"Four days into the season, the (Villanova) Wildcats now have the most impressive win in college basketball." --cbssports

Uh, what?

True road win vs a top 15 team compared to neutral court win vs a top 3 team. NCAA committee puts more weight on true road games

Personally I would say the neutral court win against a top 3 team is better

It was hard for me to tell if Purdue is really that good, or if of the top teams in the country Villanova is a really favorable matchup for them and it was at home. Not saying Purdue isn't good, I'm just not sure how good yet. Villanova is one of the few top teams that has almost no inside, big presence. 

While Haas is huge compared to everyone and Swanigan is a stud, teams like Duke, UK, UNC, IU, Arizona, etc., all at least have bigs that can pose a resistance. So, I'll be interested to see Purdue against a team that can at least matchup with their interior a little bit. 

Purdue is a good team, but kinda unique for this day in age. 

Positionless basketball? Not them; no way, no day. Dribble drive...drive and kick? Ummm, nope.

They have very good shooters, very, very, very good low post scoring, and not one single player with the ability to break a team down off of the dribble. Not much perimeter quickness for defense, and very little in transition. Thank goodness we have two legit wide bodies to battle Haas. MSU is gonna have some trouble with him!

Am I the only one who just isn't that impressed with Haas? I think Purdue has a good team don't get me wrong, but Haas has the benefit of just being bigger than everyone else. He doesn't have any moves down low except turn one way and throw up a shot off the glass or he just lays it in. That makes him a good college player by default, but in the NBA he'll be eaten alive by all the athletic 5s

Am I the only one who just isn't that impressed with Haas? I think Purdue has a good team don't get me wrong, but Haas has the benefit of just being bigger than everyone else. He doesn't have any moves down low except turn one way and throw up a shot off the glass or he just lays it in. That makes him a good college player by default, but in the NBA he'll be eaten alive by all the athletic 5s

One thing, is he is not in the NBA.

Ex-Northwestern player Johnnie Vasser viles an anti-trust lawsuit against the school.  Lots of allegations some you probably need to take with a grain of salt as is the case with most lawsuits of this nature.  

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/11/15/johnnie-vasser-files-antitrust-lawsuit-against-northwestern-ncaa-over-transfer-rules/

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Ex-Northwestern player Johnnie Vasser viles an anti-trust lawsuit against the school.  Lots of allegations some you probably need to take with a grain of salt as is the case with most lawsuits of this nature.  

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/11/15/johnnie-vasser-files-antitrust-lawsuit-against-northwestern-ncaa-over-transfer-rules/

Pretty sure Northwestern can just yank a scholarship. I don't think they needed him to transfer.