Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

OT: NCAA @ it's FINEST!

Just wow.... RT @DanWetzel: Oh man RT @RustyMillerAP: Ohio State AD Gene Smith gets $18,447.94 bonus for wrestler winning NCAA title: [url="http://t.co/6Q9ASTRxZ6"]http://t.co/6Q9ASTRxZ6[/url] This is absolutely inexcusable. I understand the whole argument around pay for play and not paying athletes... But the AD getting $18k bonus because a wrestler won a NCAA title. WOW that's messed up. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't see this as a big deal. The AD gets a bonus for "exceptional athletic achievements." It's just incentive for him to create the foundation for programs to have success. Not really different than a business manager having contractual bonuses for his department achieving specific benchmarks.

I think Huggins' 25K bonus for beating Kansas much funnier.

[quote name="Rayl" post="53418" timestamp="1395773891"]I don't see this as a big deal. The AD gets a bonus for "exceptional athletic achievements." It's just incentive for him to create the foundation for programs to have success. Not really different than a business manager having contractual bonuses for his department achieving specific benchmarks.

I think Huggins' 25K bonus for beating Kansas much funnier.[/quote]

This is COMPLETELY different. The AD has ZERO control on that wrestler's success. A business manager has control over his employees (who get PAID). The fact this athlete won a NCAA title, and someone is going to get a $20k bonus because of it doesn't seem wrong to you?

I'm against paying athletes, but AD's shouldn't be getting bonuses when Individual athletes achieve success. If a team wins, I'm fine with it. It's just wrong for individual achievements.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't see this as a big deal. The AD gets a bonus for "exceptional athletic achievements." It's just incentive for him to create the foundation for programs to have success. Not really different than a business manager having contractual bonuses for his department achieving specific benchmarks.

I think Huggins' 25K bonus for beating Kansas much funnier.

I think the larger point is that an AD made money off of another's achievements. I would bet my next paycheck he had nothing to do with getting the kid to OSU. I would bet another $100 he wasn't even at the match. So some guy sitting in an office gets money off of a kid for what reason? I don't want to turn this in to a scholarship versus pay for play debate, but that's ridiculous. 

This is COMPLETELY different. The AD has ZERO control on that wrestler's success. A business manager has control over his employees (who get PAID). The fact this athlete won a NCAA title, and someone is going to get a $20k bonus because of it doesn't seem wrong to you?

I'm against paying athletes, but AD's shouldn't be getting bonuses when Individual athletes achieve success. If a team wins, I'm fine with it. It's just wrong for individual achievements.

But he did hire (or at least keep) the coach, did he not? By that token, meeting with and having the coach succeed would fall under the "control of employees who get paid".

I also don't think you can put individual success on a different plane than team success. It's all athletics, right? Not saying he should get paid for any of it, but if it's done for basketball, why shouldn't it be done for tennis?

[quote name="HystericalHoosier" post="53435" timestamp="1395774827"]But he did hire (or at least keep) the coach, did he not? By that token, meeting with and having the coach succeed would fall under the "control of employees who get paid".

I also don't think you can put individual success on a different plane than team success. It's all athletics, right? Not saying he should get paid for any of it, but if it's done for basketball, why shouldn't it be done for tennis?[/quote]

I'm against it all. This story shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA more than anything. You are saying there isn't enough money to pay athletes, yet the AD can get a $20k bonus when ONE athlete wins a championship. Wow

I'm against it all. This story shows the hypocrisy of the NCAA more than anything. You are saying there isn't enough money to pay athletes, yet the AD can get a $20k bonus when ONE athlete wins a championship. Wow

How many athletes could be paid with that 20K?

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="53456" timestamp="1395776033"]How many athletes could be paid with his $1,000,000 salary?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Do some adding and multiplying, carry a few numbers, move the decimal place and I come up with: MANY.

A bit off topic.
I bought tickets last October for the regional here in Memphis on the outside chance IU would make it here.
Not really interested in going now, but noticed that the tickets are selling for less than face.
Guess my wife and I will use them ourselves.
I'll bet the tickets for the regional are off the charts in Indy. Anybody have an idea what the tickets are going for?

[quote name="Whoozhers" post="53533" timestamp="1395782003"]A bit off topic.
I bought tickets last October for the regional here in Memphis on the outside chance IU would make it here.
Not really interested in going now, but noticed that the tickets are selling for less than face.
I'll bet the tickets for the regional are off the charts in Indy. Anybody have an idea what the tickets are going for?[/quote]

To put into perspective... The same tickets I bought for last years regional for 185 are going for over 300 right now

I'll bet the tickets for the regional are off the charts in Indy. Anybody have an idea what the tickets are going for?[/quote]

Get in price for Friday is like $125 last I looked. Sunday tickets are pretty cheap. Like $50 I think.

"That's nothing.  That's like one GPA booster, I mean walk-on.  Maybe you can get an SAT stand-in too if you're lucky"- John Calipari

I forgot the rest of the quote

"1 million just doesn't go very far for a non-traditional program like Kentucky.  I mean, there are so many factors involved.  Do they want a Mercedes or a Cadillac?  Then you have to factor in their signing bonus and their salary for the one year they will be here, plus the students we have to pay to go to their classes for them, or plane rides of their family during the recruitment.  All of that stuff adds up."

5-6x face value.