Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KelleyHoosh

Who would you hire to replace CTC?

[quote name="Gregory Demaree" post="48867" timestamp="1395021171"] I think having gone through all the coaches we have had since Coach Knight, be careful what you wish for! The only reason Davis was a little successful was, he had some of Knights recruits! Everyone is on Coach Crean. We should be on the NCAA for letting these young men go pro before they are in between their junoir & senior year. I also blame the NBA, for letting it happen. Myself, I think IU should fire anyone & everyone, that had a hand in firing Knight! The program hasn't been the same since! Tom Crean has done more to help the program than hurt it! JUST SAYING!!!!!![/quote]

Other schools have kids leave early. Michigan did. Thing is their sophomore class has developed much more than ours. Blame for this is more internal since all the external ones you list impact all schools.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Bruce Pearl? Uhm, well, since I guess technically his NCCA BAN from coaching will expire next year then I guess he'll be available to coach at IU. 

But I'm not sure he's the kinda guy we'd want. 

Does anyone know anything about before putting out the name of someone as despicable as Bruce Pearl as a possible replacement coach? You know how he told Aaron Craft's father to lie to the NCCA investigators? That's just part of his despicable character. 

Just 'cause he's Happy Face on ESPN? Get a clue. 

I think having gone through all the coaches we have had since Coach Knight, be careful what you wish for! The only reason Davis was a little successful was, he had some of Knights recruits! Everyone is on Coach Crean. We should be on the NCAA for letting these young men go pro before they are in between their junoir & senior year. I also blame the NBA, for letting it happen. Myself, I think IU should fire anyone & everyone, that had a hand in firing Knight! The program hasn't been the same since! Tom Crean has done more to help the program than hurt it! JUST SAYING!!!!!!

So no one should ever be allowed to leave college before their junior or senior year of college to pursue the chance to work? I hate that people think it is okay to limit it to athletes should have to stay in college for 3 or 4 years before they get the opportunity to get a job. The purpose of college is to get work, it shouldn't matter when that job comes calling they should have the opportunity to make that decision on their own when they go to pursue that work. 

So no one should ever be allowed to leave college before their junior or senior year of college to pursue the chance to work? I hate that people think it is okay to limit it to athletes should have to stay in college for 3 or 4 years before they get the opportunity to get a job. The purpose of college is to get work, it shouldn't matter when that job comes calling they should have the opportunity to make that decision on their own when they go to pursue that work.

<br /><br />They can make that decision whenever, they can play overseas at any time. It's not picking on athletes, it's looking out for them. Players learn the game and are taught how to play and carry themselves in college. In the nba they either get it or they don't. They don't teach players the game, sure they might pick up on stuff from veterans, but they tell them their roles and play them their set minutes each game, but they get better and learn on their own. It's in no way holding them back if they make them stay for 3 years, it's just making the game better from top to bottom. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Manning has coached Tulsa into the NCAA 17-16 first year, 21-12 the second year! You'd have to think Danny could recruit, NBA experience as a player, NCAA Champion. Tulsa has a reputation for producing coaches, Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith Bill Self, pretty good history.

The biggest mistake would be to hire an ex IU great as the sole reason. That's why all this Woodson talk has me shaking my head. Hasn't the administration made enough mistakes going on 2 decades? Another disqualification would be prior misconduct at another institution. This Pearl talks makes me just laugh as we found out via Sampson the hard way. How about we hire the best possible candidate period.

1A. Brad Stevens. Many say we have no chance and I disagree. We have a year for administators to reach out thru channels to get to know him. If he is #1, treat him that way.

1B. Billy Donovan. His huge contract makes this very unlikely but his advances to UK and the NBA leads me to think he doesn't like playing second fiddle to SEC football. I think he would listen.

2A. Gregg Marshall. I have seen what he has done first hand at Winthrop and now look at success at Whic.St. He is a star in the making so go get him.

2B. Fred Hoiberg. Same reason for Marshall. He is a star in the making.

2C. B1G up and coming coach. Miles, Pitino, or Collins. Miles would be my first choice but I would see who has best success thru next year and chose 1. The benefit here is having coached in the B1G, recruited for B1G players, and knowing the other coaches.

3. These coaches would be in the category of any of the above not interested.
Jay Wright, Jaime Dixon, Steve Alford. All successful coaches at the BCS level.
Greg Lansing, Shaka Smart, or Brad Brownell. Next tier coaches.

4. IU Connection. Chaney, Fife, Crews, Woodson, Smart, Wittman. I believe while they were great for us wearing the candy stripes, I just don't believe they should be hired until everyone is exhausted. Alford is not in this category unless you want to put at the top.

<br /><br />They can make that decision whenever, they can play overseas at any time. It's not picking on athletes, it's looking out for them. Players learn the game and are taught how to play and carry themselves in college. In the nba they either get it or they don't. They don't teach players the game, sure they might pick up on stuff from veterans, but they tell them their roles and play them their set minutes each game, but they get better and learn on their own. It's in no way holding them back if they make them stay for 3 years, it's just making the game better from top to bottom. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Uh, I don't really get where the perception that coaching doesn't happen in the NBA comes from. Like 41 has pointed out before in college basketball unlike the NBA there is a limited amount of time that coaches can spend with players. In the pros they have an unlimited amount of time they can spend with them to work on their game. And no, it isn't just they tell them their roles and that is the limit to which they coach individual players. Players are constantly working with either individual assistants on the staff, if not the head coach themselves, or they find a personal trainer and work with them, a good amount of the time the trainer is at the very least recommended by the organization/coaching staff. The coaching talent is also much less spread out in professional basketball than in college basketball just because the pure number of teams is less than a tenth of how many are in college. 

I don't get how this isn't picking on athletes by telling them they don't get the right to pursue work until they've been in college for 3 years. In the regular work place you are learning on the job, which you listed as a major knock against professional basketball, with the lack of coaching they would get. If I am allowed to pursue work at any time in my college life, then an athlete should be allowed to as well. You seem to be looking at this only from the view of college basketball, only looking to improve it, and that simply isn't how it works. 

I see a lot of limited expectations from posters here that remind me of the Davis era. IU should not settle for anything less than the very best coach available anywhere. We should be prepared to pay out the $ to get him also. IU seemingly has a good AD now unlike its past 100 years of mostly pathetic ADs. IU suffers from a political board of trustees that are there only because they kissed the right rear ends. Its really a structural problem affecting the whole university system of governance. If IU is ever to be a top athletic program and academic university it needs to reform how the board is selected and stop trying to always look for IU people to run things. That's how the football and basketball dropped to their current levels and how IU has slowly gone so far down in academics.

[quote name="Gahoosierfan" post="49112" timestamp="1395065771"]I see a lot of limited expectations from posters here that remind me of the Davis era. IU should not settle for anything less than the very best coach available anywhere. We should be prepared to pay out the $ to get him also. IU seemingly has a good AD now unlike its past 100 years of mostly pathetic ADs. IU suffers from a political board of trustees that are there only because they kissed the right rear ends. Its really a structural problem affecting the whole university system of governance. If IU is ever to be a top athletic program and academic university it needs to reform how the board is selected and stop trying to always look for IU people to run things. That's how the football and basketball dropped to their current levels and how IU has slowly gone so far down in academics.[/quote]

IUs academic profile has only risen in recent years

How interested is Steve Alford?

Presumably not very right now after his first year at UCLA. But, if he can get them to make a decent run this year in the tournament maybe after next year or the year after that he would be a good candidate

I see a lot of limited expectations from posters here that remind me of the Davis era. IU should not settle for anything less than the very best coach available anywhere. We should be prepared to pay out the $ to get him also. IU seemingly has a good AD now unlike its past 100 years of mostly pathetic ADs. IU suffers from a political board of trustees that are there only because they kissed the right rear ends. Its really a structural problem affecting the whole university system of governance. If IU is ever to be a top athletic program and academic university it needs to reform how the board is selected and stop trying to always look for IU people to run things. That's how the football and basketball dropped to their current levels and how IU has slowly gone so far down in academics.

U.S. News and World Report continues to rank Indiana University's Kelley School of Business, IU School of Medicine, IU School of Education, and Maurer School of Law among the Best Graduate Schools for 2015. Also receiving high marks are IU's doctoral programs in chemistry, biology, and physics

The Kelley School of business undergraduate school is top 10 in the country and I believe their music school is also very highly respected. IU is a very good public university and is anything but dropping. 

IU was once considered to be a public ivy school. It is now not ranked among the top 75 schools in the country and ranked ahead of only Nebraska in the B10. Its endowment is also only higher than Nebraska. If they want to improve rankings they need to be far more restrictive in their admissions policy. Nearly 80% are accepted now while top public universities like UNC, UVA, UC Berkley, UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc have far tighter admission standards. Even schools like Alabama and Clemson are ranked higher. IU has really fallen over the last 20 years.

IU was once considered to be a public ivy school. It is now not ranked among the top 75 schools in the country and ranked ahead of only Nebraska in the B10. Its endowment is also only higher than Nebraska. If they want to improve rankings they need to be far more restrictive in their admissions policy. Nearly 80% are accepted now while top public universities like UNC, UVA, UC Berkley, UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc have far tighter admission standards. Even schools like Alabama and Clemson are ranked higher. IU has really fallen over the last 20 years.

They have to be in a position where they can restrict admissions standards and still admit enough students to pay all the bills. That takes care of itself with more applicants and more people wanting to attend IU. There is a proven way for schools to increase applicants and the percentage of admitted students that chose to attend: have success in football and basketball. That's why we're spending so much money trying to rebuild the programs.

Bama and Clemson might be ranked slightly higher in the stupid US News World Rankings poll but no one in their right mind considers them better schools than IU

every B1G school outside Nebraska is such a massive contributor to the world of academic research that they automatically dwarf any non-Vandy/Florida/Missouri/A&M SEC school