Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KelleyHoosh

Who would you hire to replace CTC?

[quote name="BlueDevil2aHoosier" post="48360" timestamp="1394999098"]Why not steve wojciechowski from duke? He's pretty much the coach in waiting there right now but I really really like him.[/quote]

Duke has an awful history of coach name spellings.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I didn't realize that was his sister.  I think the second  part may be the most pertinent. It was worse than starting a program from scratch.

I agree that the second part may have been more pertinent. People in the coaching profession, from what I've seen, tend to be pretty accepting of the culture of hiring and firing - same as how a lot of professional athletes don't take it personally when they're cut/traded/etc (obviously that's not all of them, but a seem to understand that these are "business" decisions.

I like some of the names mentioned, at least I am not seeing the re-runs like Crews and a few others. I somehow doubt Crean's job is really in any kind of jeopardy this year. I can't see IU being aggressive enough to go out and get a guy like Donovan (although I would love to see it) and there isn't any connection that I know of to the school. Pastner is a great recruiter, not sure about his X and O's, haven't seen Memphis play much, but if there is a change it almost has to be a sure winner in all aspects. If IU keeps up as they have recently the program will not have the stability it needs to stay in the forefront. Dane Fife is an IU guy and I do like the idea of the coach having ties to Indiana, but then again, I wasn't upset over the Idea of Mike Woodson. If IU is going to recruit at a high level his NBA experience would have to help. I am certain Cal uses his to sell Kentucky and he wasn't a great NBA coach by any means,

[quote name="Hovadipo" post="48365" timestamp="1394999361"]Duke has an awful history of coach name spellings.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Haha is it bad I can spell them both. Coach dub has a nice ring

I agree that the second part may have been more pertinent. People in the coaching profession, from what I've seen, tend to be pretty accepting of the culture of hiring and firing - same as how a lot of professional athletes don't take it personally when they're cut/traded/etc (obviously that's not all of them, but a seem to understand that these are "business" decisions.

That would be my guess. Its one of the reasons that people in management get the pay they do and severance packages. You are almost hired to be fired.

[quote name="BlueDevil2aHoosier" post="48368" timestamp="1394999487"]Haha is it bad I can spell them both. Coach dub has a nice ring[/quote]

I learned how to spell Coach K's by always pronouncing it how it's actually spelled. Ker-zy-zew-ski. Or something close to that. The only reason I can pronounce the other guy is because ESPN has Gene Wojinwtbkoddnkucsrhbdujlgxesvzki doing college gameday for football.

I see the appeal in bringing in an Indiana guy, but it may be hard to find a coach that is all around considered "ideal."

I realize it is outlandish, but I would love for us to make a run at Shaka Smart if Tom Crean were to go. Other candidates I would like include: Josh Pastner, Bryce Drew, Greg Marshall, Greg McDermott, Tony Benett, Bruce Peal. None of these names are probable or may be good "fits."

Perhaps someone better informed on IU basketball could make a better list.

Discuss... 

I was at USI when Coach Pearl won the 1995 DII Championship.  While I was upset when I heard about the suspension, I still love him.  He exudes excitement.  I think he would be amazing.  He can recruit, excite the fans and actually coach!  My vote IF Tommy is let go (which is doubtful), would be for Pearl.

Greg Paulus the assistant at Ohio State and former Duke point guard would be interesting. I think I would really like him if he were a bit more seasoned because I think one day he will make a great head coach. After a stint at Army he has quickly become Thad's right hand man on the bench. One day he will be great but at 27 I don't think Indiana is the place for him to learn on the job. 

The only thing Paulus would be good for is to teach an advanced class in flopping.

[quote name="TheStillman" post="48371" timestamp="1394999737"]Some of the names being thrown out here (Paulus, Fife, Lansing, dude from Manhattan) would quite simply be bad hires for the Hoosiers. Certainly not hires that would be worth buying out Crean for millions of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

But how do you know?

Some of the names being thrown out here (Paulus, Fife, Lansing, dude from Manhattan) would quite simply be bad hires for the Hoosiers. Certainly not hires that would be worth buying out Crean for millions of dollars.

Personally I doubt CTC goes anywhere before the end of next year, and probably not for two more. And maybe longer.

The only thing Paulus would be good for is to teach an advanced class in flopping.

I fully admit he wouldn't be a good hire to replace Crean. But I fully expect in 10 years Greg Paulus to be a young successful head coach

Some of the names being thrown out here (Paulus, Fife, Lansing, dude from Manhattan) would quite simply be bad hires for the Hoosiers. Certainly not hires that would be worth buying out Crean for millions of dollars.

Do you care to elaborate? If it is experience I don't get the point in shoehorning the program into hiring someone because they are experienced. 

[quote name="HoosierReb01" post="48377" timestamp="1394999896"]Personally I doubt CTC goes anywhere before the end of next year, and probably not for two more. And maybe longer.[/quote]

I agree with you but if the discussion is who would we replace Crean with if hypothetically he's gone this year or next I think that crop of coaches is not worth the money and upheaval that buying out coach introduces.

[quote name="Rayl" post="48383" timestamp="1395000133"]I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Danny Manning is the guy I would be most interested in.

-Played under Larry Brown
-Coached under Bill Self
-Phenomenal coach of post players.
-As one of the greatest to ever play the college game, he would bring instant credibility with recruits.
-In only his second year as a head coach, he has Tulsa in the dance for the first time in a decade. He's not doing it with another coach's recruits either. His team is mostly sophomores that he brought in.

Laugh all you want. Talk about lack of a resume. I truly believe that there is a very great chance that Manning is one of the next great coaches.[/quote]

Man you make a great case

[quote name="KingPG21" post="48380" timestamp="1394999968"]Do you care to elaborate? If it is experience I don't get the point in shoehorning the program into hiring someone because they are experienced. [/quote]

Paulus: I will pull the experience card. Never been a head coach. I don't think IU is the place to learn how to be a head coach

Fife: yes he has been a head coach, was a good Hoosier but not worth the question mark of signing someone who's never own at the B1G or high major level.

Lansing and Manhattan coach: honestly don't know much about them but my same point stands. If you're buying out Crean for upwards of $5 million you better bring in a super star coach. Neither fits that bill