Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Who do you root for?

Yankees.  I grew up hearing my dad tale stories of Mickey Mantle and watched the 1998 WS with him.

For the record, I really hate that they signed Boston's glass elf.  He's little more than Brett Gardner with a better batting average, which happens to be a pretty meaningless stat.

What'd you think of the Tanaka signing?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I loved it to an extent.  He performed better than pretty well any pitcher in Japan, he even performed better than Yu Darvish in some ways, although he's more projected to be a good 2 than an ace.  I just didn't like giving that kind of contract, 7/155 is A LOT for someone that has never thrown a pitch in MLB.  He was a player I really wanted though because they needed rotation help (and the FA options weren't as good and just as expensive) and he's young, and I liked that they took a chance on a Japanese player because they were tentative after they missed with Kei Igawa (which is they're own fault, he sucked over there too).

So basically I loved it except for the size of the contract.  Unfortunately it's going to be that way now for players like him because the new posting system makes it so many teams can negotiate instead of one team throwing a mountain of un-taxable cash for sole negotiating rights (ala Darvish).

Cubs fan. I don't care about baseball nearly as much as football or basketball, so I'm not as torn up about how bad they always are as some. They really do seem to be looking up with Epstein though, that guy is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Phillies fan. We had a good run a few years back. Could've been a dynasty. Injuries have killed my team though, along with trading the likes of Victorino and Polanco. Still a die hard fan, though. Ryan Howard is by far my favorite athlete.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="35233" timestamp="1391535535"]I loved it to an extent. He performed better than pretty well any pitcher in Japan, he even performed better than Yu Darvish in some ways, although he's more projected to be a good 2 than an ace. I just didn't like giving that kind of contract, 7/155 is A LOT for someone that has never thrown a pitch in MLB. He was a player I really wanted though because they needed rotation help (and the FA options weren't as good and just as expensive) and he's young, and I liked that they took a chance on a Japanese player because they were tentative after they missed with Kei Igawa (which is they're own fault, he sucked over there too). So basically I loved it except for the size of the contract. Unfortunately it's going to be that way now for players like him because the new posting system makes it so many teams can negotiate instead of one team throwing a mountain of un-taxable cash for sole negotiating rights (ala Darvish).[/quote] I wanted the Phillies to pursue him but we aren't in the position to compete so I'm glad we didn't get him. I think Tanaka will be a good get but like you said I'm not a fan of the contract he got.

Phillies fan. We had a good run a few years back. Could've been a dynasty. Injuries have killed my team though, along with trading the likes of Victorino and Polanco. Still a die hard fan, though. Ryan Howard is by far my favorite athlete.
I'm not used to seeing other phillie fans. I'm a huge Utley fan hence the 26 next to my name. Hopefully RAJ will get fired after this season, the man is clueless. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not used to seeing other phillie fans. I'm a huge Utley fan hence the 26 next to my name. Hopefully RAJ will get fired after this season, the man is clueless.

Yeah, I love Utley, but he just has so many issues as of late. Same with Ryan Howard too. Glad they've stuck with those two, Hamels, Ruiz and Rollins to keep a solid base in the infield.

And I definitely agree. My biggest issue with the team is the lack of young talent. Sure, we have Dom Brown, Darin Ruf (I see some potential to takeover for RH), and a couple of other guys, but the team just seems too old to me. Even the backups have been old in recent years... Brian Schneider, who I can't stand.

[quote name="djsalway" post="35244" timestamp="1391537234"]Yeah, I love Utley, but he just has so many issues as of late. Same with Ryan Howard too. Glad they've stuck with those two, Hamels, Ruiz and Rollins to keep a solid base in the infield. And I definitely agree. My biggest issue with the team is the lack of young talent. Sure, we have Dom Brown, Darin Ruf (I see some potential to takeover for RH), and a couple of other guys, but the team just seems too old to me. Even the backups have been old in recent years... Brian Schneider, who I can't stand.[/quote] I'm tired of the old team too. RAJ refuses to believe he messed up and should have rebuilt. We destroyed our farm system a few years back and it still hasn't recovered. I do like the potential of Crawford, Franco, and Biddle. But I'm not too optimistic on much else. Our catching prospects are disappointing compared to what what were originally projected. I hope we trade off Lee (even though I love having him) to restock our farm. Edit: I too hate Pap. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm tired of the old team too. RAJ refuses to believe he messed up and should have rebuilt. We destroyed our farm system a few years back and it still hasn't recovered. I do like the potential of Crawford, Franco, and Biddle. But I'm not too optimistic on much else. Our catching prospects are disappointing compared to what what were originally projected. I hope we trade off Lee (even though I love having him) to restock our farm. Edit: I too hate Pap. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I think we have to trade Lee to stock up on prospects because having him now doesn't help our team enough to be a contender. We aren't that good. So trade him and make our farm system better.

Braves fan here...although I really down on them.  Their corporate ownership is killing them as the merely see them as a line item in their financial statements and are not willing to put any monry into them at all go get better players.

You Phillies fans from Philly?

[quote name="Scooter D" post="35255" timestamp="1391542784"]Braves fan here...although I really down on them. Their corporate ownership is killing them as the merely see them as a line item in their financial statements and are not willing to put any monry into them at all go get better players.

You Phillies fans from Philly?[/quote]

Nope. I'm from Indiana.

Nope. I'm from Indiana.

Also from Indiana.

Mike Schmidt fans then?  I knew a guy growing up (in Indiana) that was a huge Phillies fan because Schmidt was his favorite player.

Also Citizens Bank Park is a sweet place to see a game.

[quote name="Scooter D" post="35268" timestamp="1391544705"]Mike Schmidt fans then? I knew a guy growing up (in Indiana) that was a huge Phillies fan because Schmidt was his favorite player.

Also Citizens Bank Park is a sweet place to see a game.[/quote]

I have an autographed Schmidt baseball. My grandpa lived down the street from him in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners