Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierReb01

IU vs Northwestern Post-Game Thread

I expected IU to lose a game or two that they are expected to win but not at Assembly Hall. Crean said every starting spot was up for grabs but I'll bet you a 20 that nothing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I expected IU to lose a game or two that they are expected to win but not at Assembly Hall. Crean said every starting spot was up for grabs but I'll bet you a 20 that nothing changes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanner

Safe bet.  It took a knee injury to remove Verdell from the starting lineup.

Safe bet. It took a knee injury to remove Verdell from the starting lineup.

<br /><br />I felt really bad for cheering as loud as I did when that injury happened. Glad to see his career got to continue, though. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That sucked. 

I kind of like the Collins hire by Northwestern.  He might be the rare Coach K assistant that doesn't bomb out! 

Puts us back at -1.  Two home losses versus one road win.  I was really hoping we would win out at home.  Blech.

Uhhmm, what? Amaker is doing better than anyone could have expected at Harvard, Brey does well at ND, and Collins is going to do well at NW. Dawkins is a .500 coach and he's had injury problems. So, I don't really see your point.

Uhhmm, what? Amaker is doing better than anyone could have expected at Harvard, Brey does well at ND, and Collins is going to do well at NW. Dawkins is a .500 coach and he's had injury problems. So, I don't really see your point.

Amaker was a failure at Michigan.  He has done a nice job at Harvard, good for him.  Just shows me that he was in over his head at a bigger program.  Quinn Snyder says hello.  Brey is just kind of whatever.  Notre Dame is never a serious threat to do anything.  Jeff Capel had a good year or two with Blake Griffin then bombed and had to return to Coach K's nest at Duke.  Just not that impressed by the Coach K coaching tree.  But like I said, I think Collins will do very well. 

[quote name="bronkonagurski" post="31124" timestamp="1390179076"]Amaker was a failure at Michigan. He has done a nice job at Harvard, good for him. Just shows me that he was in over his head at a bigger program. Quinn Snyder says hello. Brey is just kind of whatever. Notre Dame is never a serious threat to do anything. Jeff Capel had a good year or two with Blake Griffin then bombed and had to return to Coach K's nest at Duke. Just not that impressed by the Coach K coaching tree. But like I said, I think Collins will do very well. [/quote]

I'm a huge Duke guy and I have to agree with you. I don't think Brey is doing a bad job but just has done well enough to be a consistent mid tier team. I can't wait to see what Collins does when he has a team full of his recruits. Hated to see him leave Duke but excited for Northwestern as I believe he is the guy that will take them dancing for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Amaker was a failure at Michigan.  He has done a nice job at Harvard, good for him.  Just shows me that he was in over his head at a bigger program.  Quinn Snyder says hello.  Brey is just kind of whatever.  Notre Dame is never a serious threat to do anything.  Jeff Capel had a good year or two with Blake Griffin then bombed and had to return to Coach K's nest at Duke.  Just not that impressed by the Coach K coaching tree.  But like I said, I think Collins will do very well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Amaker inherit a terrible situation at Michigan with scholarship reductions and more? Snyder did take his team to the tournament four straight years and to the EE.

Saw this posted on another site.

1. A lot of people like to see a team as a Box. They want things to connect and fit easily. The Coach has to see it as a puzzle. Put it 2gether

2:23 PM - 19 Jan 2014 · Details
    Tweet text Reply to  @ TomCrean   Dismiss Image will appear as a link
  2. @TomCrean you put that northwestern puzzle together like a blind man.

3. @TomCrean have you even opened the box yet?

This fan base is embarrassing sometimes, but that last line made me laugh.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Amaker inherit a terrible situation at Michigan with scholarship reductions and more? Snyder did take his team to the tournament four straight years and to the EE.

Possibly but I just don't recall being impressed with the way Tommy's teams at U of M played.  Snyder had some early success and he also had some NCAA heat on him shortly thereafter from what I recall.  Dude pretty much abandoned the college scene to be a career NBA assistant after that.  So I have a hard time saying he was a success as a college coach. 

The main point of what I posted was that I am impressed by Collins so far.  Whether others agree on the overall body of work of Coach K assistants, that wasn't the focal point of my post.  Agree to disagree I guess? 

Can't find that exchange anywhere on his Twitter page, must have deleted the Tweet.

1. A lot of people like to see a team as a Box. They want things to connect and fit easily. The Coach has to see it as a puzzle. Put it 2gether

Sure, Indiana isn't a bad team, but it's made up of five freshmen, most of whom aren't good enough to play Big Ten basketball this their first year, a very disappointing sophomore class, a junior (redshirt sophomore) who may not exactly be a Big Ten caliber player, a senior transfer, and a senior that was a sixth man the last two seasons for for a reason. Simply put, the team is not very good, and the make up of the squad obviously falls on the coach. He's a good recruiter, nothing more.

His coaching in general has been questionable at times, and next year will be the year we need really judge and examine him, as his team should be much, much better next season (provided Noah Vonleh stays.)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="BlueDevil2aHoosier" post="30895" timestamp="1390084417"]ame="Buck Naked" post="30892" timestamp="1390083800"]

No you are completely right. I just think he has sat long enough and deserves another shot. What makes you believe that he didn't deserve a shot based on the way the team played?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

This is how I know he was unofficially suspended. If he weren't, Crean would have played him that game 100%.

hahaha wow he got called out quick lol!

Been considering this for a couple of days. I think Jeremy could have added something Saturday. We needed one more shooter out there to take away the pressure from Yogi, Gordon and Will. I think Jeremy could have made a positive difference, and Saturday was the time Crean should have pulled him from the mothballs of the pine. We were simply one shooter short of making Northwestern's defense ineffective.

There may be a higher purpose to Jeremy continuing to sit, and I don't claim to know more than Coach Crean about the best way to handle it. I'm just saying I think Saturday we needed one more shooter on the floor, and Hollowell can shoot. Had I been in charge, I would have run him out there to see if he could have made a difference.

Been considering this for a couple of days. I think Jeremy could have added something Saturday. We needed one more shooter out there to take away the pressure from Yogi, Gordon and Will. I think Jeremy could have made a positive difference, and Saturday was the time Crean should have pulled him from the mothballs of the pine. We were simply one shooter short of making Northwestern's defense ineffective.

There may be a higher purpose to Jeremy continuing to sit, and I don't claim to know more than Coach Crean about the best way to handle it. I'm just saying I think Saturday we needed one more shooter on the floor, and Hollowell can shoot. Had I been in charge, I would have run him out there to see if he could have made a difference.

I would just have to say on this, that none of us really know why JH is sitting at this time. CTC has seen it fit to set him on the bench, and he seems to feel that is entirely justified. If CTC ran him into the game against his convictions, just to get  a win, I would definitely lose a lot of respect for him. A college coach is a teacher first, and one of his (or hers) primary responsibilities is to teach these young athletes and prepare them for the choices and decisions that they will have to make in life. It would have been a serious disservice to JH for CTC to play him just to get a win. On the other hand, we should have never been in a position in that game where JH would have made that big of a difference.