Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Sound engineers and producers are incredibly underrated as musical contributors and innovators.

As you know, I'm a Big Star aficionado. Without John Fry, there was no Big Star - as necessary to what they did as Chilton and Bell.

George Martin was as necessary to the truly critical Beatles stuff as Paul, John, and George. 

And Brian Wilson's real greatness was certainly not as a singer or lyricist; it was when he was behind the control panel. Dre and much of the best of hip hop happens because of their studio genius.

Great example - the JImi Hendrix Experience album, Are You Experienced. It was produced at a then new studio in London with then new recording technology, had a major impact going forward. If you get a chance, listen to the guitar solos in the song Are You Experienced -- they are all recorded backwards, and Hendrix dubbed them over in perfect placement, so that unless you're listening to the wild sort of fade in guitar work you wouldn't know it's backwards. Or Winds Cries Mary, recorded in just 20 minutes, which is just nuts, all instruments other than a softly played rhythm by Hendrix while he sings the tune, are over-dubbed. 

Btw, I recently worked through Hey Joe on my guitar, such a sweet song to play (built around pentatonic scale). 

I listen to music every morning on my way to work. I'm not a musical genius or anything, but I can definitely tell the difference between the majority of new songs, especially in the last 10-15 years and songs on the past. You can literally feel the difference. SOUL. It's what music misses so much today. Was listening to I'd Do Anything For Love this morning, just rocking and when a song really catches you it'll give your goosebumps. Which it's Meatloaf, so there is a lot of power and feeling in the song. It's what I don't get in any newer music. I get it in the 60s, 70s, 80, some 90s and 2000s stuff I listen to but never the 2010s/2020s. 

15 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I listen to music every morning on my way to work. I'm not a musical genius or anything, but I can definitely tell the difference between the majority of new songs, especially in the last 10-15 years and songs on the past. You can literally feel the difference. SOUL. It's what music misses so much today. Was listening to I'd Do Anything For Love this morning, just rocking and when a song really catches you it'll give your goosebumps. Which it's Meatloaf, so there is a lot of power and feeling in the song. It's what I don't get in any newer music. I get it in the 60s, 70s, 80, some 90s and 2000s stuff I listen to but never the 2010s/2020s. 

It’s there these days, just not as easy to find. Top-40 radio right now is definitely tough to listen to. 

4 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It’s there these days, just not as easy to find. Top-40 radio right now is definitely tough to listen to. 

Very hard to find. Just so much button pushing and tuning. I don't expect everyone to be Meatloaf but it's more about trying to catch a beat than anything. Obviously he has a much different background than most. I don't listen to a lot of music that's fine on the last 5 years or so, but my wife does... And oh lordy it ain't great. 

40 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Very hard to find. Just so much button pushing and tuning. I don't expect everyone to be Meatloaf but it's more about trying to catch a beat than anything. Obviously he has a much different background than most. I don't listen to a lot of music that's fine on the last 5 years or so, but my wife does... And oh lordy it ain't great. 

If you want to find great new music, it exists. And I mean great. But you’ve gotta look and not just dial the fm stations.

So that’s harder than 30 years ago, but there’s a counter-balance that’s so awesome:

Everything on Metacritic’s best list is on Spotify, or you can almost always get it free on YouTube (with a few ads, but less than the fm dial).

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/score/metascore/year/filtered

Right now I’ve got Ants From Up There by Black Country, New Road on regular play. It’s outstanding.

9 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Great example - the JImi Hendrix Experience album, Are You Experienced. It was produced at a then new studio in London with then new recording technology, had a major impact going forward. If you get a chance, listen to the guitar solos in the song Are You Experienced -- they are all recorded backwards, and Hendrix dubbed them over in perfect placement, so that unless you're listening to the wild sort of fade in guitar work you wouldn't know it's backwards. Or Winds Cries Mary, recorded in just 20 minutes, which is just nuts, all instruments other than a softly played rhythm by Hendrix while he sings the tune, are over-dubbed. 

Btw, I recently worked through Hey Joe on my guitar, such a sweet song to play (built around pentatonic scale). 

It's not that unusual for guitar players to base riffs off a pentatonic scale, Slash does it too.

1 hour ago, HoosierCoop said:

This is another band I was recently turned on to.  I love the smooth along with the grit.  They give you a little bit of everything.  Great live performers.

(1041) Black Country Communion- Song of Yesterday- LIVE OVER EUROPE DVD - YouTube

With their pedigree, they should be a lot more well known than they are.  Fantastic band, have been a Bonamassa fan for a long time!

If you are a fan of big 70s arena rock sound, check out Black Star Riders- some members of the most recent Thin Lizzy started it (has since morphed thru various members), but such a great sound (obviously in the vein of Thin Lizzy, but I have zero issues with that!).

As part of my personal Tom Dowd tribute week, I listened to the self-titled debut album from Ramatam. I doubt it’s a record Dowd was crazy proud of, but it’s kind of a fascinating listen. From 1972, the band included former members of Iron Butterfly, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Big Brother. I don’t love it and I doubt I’ll listen to it again, but there are 2 things that make it very much worthwhile: 1) There are some really terrific moments, but the big issue, imo, is that there doesn’t seem to be a very cohesive vision here. There are so many different styles and elements at play that it just feels like they didn’t know what they wanted to say. Gonna guess it wasn’t a fun record to make. It makes for an interesting study. 2) The guitar player is a woman named April Lawton, and she’s a really intriguing player . Had never heard of her, but apparently she was considered quite the underground gunslinger. Has a unique sound and to this untrained ear and addled brain, you can sort of hear a conduit from a non-shredding Alvin Lee to an early Thurston Moore, which I would have thought just couldn’t possibly exist. She quit music early on and her catalog is very small. Would be curious to know what actual guitar players think.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

As part of my personal Tom Dowd tribute week, I listened to the self-titled debut album from Ramatam. I doubt it’s a record Dowd was crazy proud of, but it’s kind of a fascinating listen. From 1972, the band included former members of Iron Butterfly, The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Big Brother. I don’t love it and I doubt I’ll listen to it again, but there are 2 things that make it very much worthwhile: 1) There are some really terrific moments, but the big issue, imo, is that there doesn’t seem to be a very cohesive vision here. There are so many different styles and elements at play that it just feels like they didn’t know what they wanted to say. Gonna guess it wasn’t a fun record to make. It makes for an interesting study. 2) The guitar player is a woman named April Lawton, and she’s a really intriguing player . Had never heard of her, but apparently she was considered quite the underground gunslinger. Has a unique sound and to this untrained ear and addled brain, you can sort of hear a conduit from a non-shredding Alvin Lee to an early Thurston Moore, which I would have thought just couldn’t possibly exist. She quit music early on and her catalog is very small. Would be curious to know what actual guitar players think.

I hadn't heard of her and had to research her.  Great guitarist.  One article said in another time she would've been the female Hendrix, high praises since Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player ever.  

She recorded some stuff in the 90s but was never released.

EDIT: She's the lead starting around 2:10 in this video.  The other one is Rishard Lampese

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=No0azhK9ucM

Circling back on Polyphia as they recently released this tune, Chimera, which is just flat-out fantastic, with fusion of Spanish-style guitar work, heavy metal guitar, and out of left field, hip hop (featuring Lil West) that fits in perfectly, about 3/4 into the otherwise instrumental piece. 

This is genuinely excellent.

On 11/9/2022 at 11:13 AM, HoosierHoopster said:

Circling back on Polyphia as they recently released this tune, Chimera, which is just flat-out fantastic, with fusion of Spanish-style guitar work, heavy metal guitar, and out of left field, hip hop (featuring Lil West) that fits in perfectly, about 3/4 into the otherwise instrumental piece. 

This is genuinely excellent.

Prodigy musicians

Came across this and had to post it for 3 reasons: 1) Have always thought this is genuinely under-appreciated roots rock tune. 2) The woman who wanders on stage at 1:50 and delivers the kickass harmonies is named Michelle Malone, and if there was any justice in such things she’d be a star. Great great singer and slide player. Been on the fringes forever and did an album a few years ago called Slings and Arrows that’s outstanding. 3) The old boy killing the lead is Davis Causey. He’s a Nashville studio legend who’s played with everybody. Had to be pushing 75 here and still a badass.

Ok, need some music suggestions for an upcoming drive. 11 hrs or so. Want to do all live. Currently planning on:

Jeff Buckley  “Mystery White Boy Live”

Allison Krause & Union Station. “Live”

Rage Against the Machine  “Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium”

Sleater-Kinney “Live in Paris”

Brandi Carlile “Live at Benaroya Hall” 

also have Uncle Tupelo’s last live show downloaded. But I am definitely lacking variety. 

Thoughts?