Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

Always preferred Monroe and Greene Counties to Indy; the Bottle Rockets agree. A great band and a wickedly funny tune about Indianapolis:

"I'll puke if that jukebox plays John Cougar one more time

If I ever leave here I hope never to return If I get that van back, man, the road I'm gonna burn Right now my future's in the hand of them boys down at Firestone Stuck in Indianapolis feeling all alone
Is this hell or Indianapolis with no way to get around"

Had never heard of The Jigsaw Seen before yesterday. This song popped on a playlist and it’s really, really good. So listened to the entire Bananas Foster album, from 2010,  this morning and it’s terrific. Turns out they’ve been around off and on for 35 years and I’ve just missed them. Definitely will check out more. Stu, if you’re not familiar with it  you need to check this record out if for no other reason than whoever produced it was channeling their inner Chris Bell. He could have absolutely produced this. 

9 hours ago, Demo said:

Had never heard of The Jigsaw Seen before yesterday. This song popped on a playlist and it’s really, really good. So listened to the entire Bananas Foster album, from 2010,  this morning and it’s terrific. Turns out they’ve been around off and on for 35 years and I’ve just missed them. Definitely will check out more. Stu, if you’re not familiar with it  you need to check this record out if for no other reason than whoever produced it was channeling their inner Chris Bell. He could have absolutely produced this. 

Listening.

Lots of Kinks-ian influences. I love love the Kinks. Crunchy folky baroque rock. So this gets into my saved Spotifycation. 

The Chris Bell is lots of Am7 and Em7. Throw those chords into your guitar playing and it sounds more like Big Star than it did before you did so. Chris Bell and Alex Chilton LOVED Am7.

Nice.

42 minutes ago, mamasa said:

AA5DB730-A6ED-476C-8527-44EA57C9BB4F.png

One of these things is definitely not like the others.

Seriously, Foreigner was monstrous at that point. Don’t remember if it was that tour or the next one, but they sold out Market Square Arena back to back nights.

Kind of similar to Polyphia, also been listening to David Maxim Micic lately - rock guitar with some fusion, trance, 'art rock' --  the guitar solo at about 3:00 is really sweet, drum work is excellent as well

This one's got a nice melodic soft feel

26 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Kind of similar to Polyphia, also been listening to David Maxim Micic lately - rock guitar with some fusion, trance, 'art rock' --  the guitar solo at about 3:00 is really sweet, drum work is excellent as well

This one's got a nice melodic soft feel

Jes’ a simple country lawyer and his trance music, part deaux.

Now for something completely different for the people who frequent this board. My 20 year old is training to be an opera singer in Boston; he is most definitely not a “kids these days” stereotype. His go-tos are Sibelius and Wagner operettas. He turned me on to Denzel Curry. Denzel Curry is sonically fantastic.

If you can get past some dicey language, the ability to be incredibly musical while varying tempos and rhythms with real lyrical content is special. Ps…yes guys; it’s rap.

On 10/24/2022 at 8:05 PM, Stuhoo said:

Now for something completely different for the people who frequent this board. My 20 year old is training to be an opera singer in Boston; he is most definitely not a “kids these days” stereotype. His go-tos are Sibelius and Wagner operettas. He turned me on to Denzel Curry. Denzel Curry is sonically fantastic.

Good for your kid. Love that so much.
This is my best friend from college. Went to ORU to major in computer science and ended up singing all over the world. Was also the only out *** kid at the school, so you can imagine what that was like for him, yet remained nothing but the best, most decent guy on the planet. Semi-retired now, but still sounds pretty good for an old dude. 

13 minutes ago, Demo said:

Good for your kid. Love that so much.
This is my best friend from college. Went to ORU to major in computer science and ended up singing all over the world. Was also the only out *** kid at the school, so you can imagine what that was like for him, yet remained nothing but the best, most decent guy on the planet. Semi-retired now, but still sounds pretty good for an old dude. 

Sweet.

And he's not old for (I assume) a baritone. The guys don't even start to approach their primes until they're in their 30's.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Sweet.

And he's not old for (I assume) a baritone. The guys don't even start to approach their primes until they're in their 30's.

Yeah, he used to say when we were in our 40’s that he was still a kid in singing years and I was forced to mention that kid’s hairlines aren’t receding like that. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Yeah, he used to say when we were in our 40’s that he was still a kid in singing years and I was forced to mention that kid’s hairlines aren’t receding like that. 

It’s strange because the classical singer women’s voices tend to mature at so much younger an age. Maybe the greatest of all time, Maria Callas, was pretty much washed up by the time she hit her late 30s!

Today’s the 20th anniversary of the passing of Tom Dowd. Decided a long time ago that if I could have anyone’s life, it would be Tom Dowd. From working on the Manhattan Project as a teenager to an almost indescribable career as a music producer/sound engineer. Seriously, go look at his discography. The depth, the variety, the greatness throughout.  It’s beyond belief. An authentic genius. This is a clip of Dowd and Eric Clapton talking about Layla. Watching and listening to Dowd’s sheer giddiness and joy playing with the soundboard at 75 while listening to his own work from 30 years before just kills me. 

In yet another stupid, senseless shooting, rapper Takeoff of Migos was killed here in Houston early this morning, at a party held at a bowling alley. 

Houston has become a dangerous city, but it's just a microcosm of all of this senseless gun violence that has spread across the country. Maybe one day people will wake up and realize how incredibly stupid all of this is and actually do something about it.

On 10/27/2022 at 8:05 PM, Demo said:

Today’s the 20th anniversary of the passing of Tom Dowd. Decided a long time ago that if I could have anyone’s life, it would be Tom Dowd. From working on the Manhattan Project as a teenager to an almost indescribable career as a music producer/sound engineer. Seriously, go look at his discography. The depth, the variety, the greatness throughout.  It’s beyond belief. An authentic genius. This is a clip of Dowd and Eric Clapton talking about Layla. Watching and listening to Dowd’s sheer giddiness and joy playing with the soundboard at 75 while listening to his own work from 30 years before just kills me. 

Sound engineers and producers are incredibly underrated as musical contributors and innovators.

As you know, I'm a Big Star aficionado. Without John Fry, there was no Big Star - as necessary to what they did as Chilton and Bell.

George Martin was as necessary to the truly critical Beatles stuff as Paul, John, and George. 

And Brian Wilson's real greatness was certainly not as a singer or lyricist; it was when he was behind the control panel. Dre and much of the best of hip hop happens because of their studio genius.