Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

Is Coach Mallory Gone Soon?

If Mallory does keep his job (or any job at Indiana), I wonder if Wilson will keep his after next season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I have been and for the moment still am a big supporter of CKW.  I do believe Mallory has to go.  Having said all of that, if CKW sticks with Mallory and doesn't try to improve things by making a move then he is staking his future as IU's coach on Mallory's ability to improve the defense.  If I were Fred Glass, I'd be making that point abundantly clear to him.  

I have a hard time believing that there will not be some changes on the defensive side. It just to glaringly obvious that something is wrong there. How big those changes will be is to be seen. I just don't see it as a good sign that the coaches are all out on the recruiting trail. There might be a grand plan that we are not privy too, but I can't believe you would send all the coaches and coordinators out on the recruiting trail for two weeks and then come back and hand out pink slips. And I can only imagine what would go through recruits minds if that went on.

I have a hard time believing that there will not be some changes on the defensive side. It just to glaringly obvious that something is wrong there. How big those changes will be is to be seen. I just don't see it as a good sign that the coaches are all out on the recruiting trail. There might be a grand plan that we are not privy too, but I can't believe you would send all the coaches and coordinators out on the recruiting trail for two weeks and then come back and hand out pink slips. And I can only imagine what would go through recruits minds if that went on.

It's okay, we won't get any good defensive recruits with Mallory as DC anyway.  If they do commit to Mallory, then they're obviously not smart enough to get into college.

I have been and for the moment still am a big supporter of CKW.  I do believe Mallory has to go.  Having said all of that, if CKW sticks with Mallory and doesn't try to improve things by making a move then he is staking his future as IU's coach on Mallory's ability to improve the defense.  If I were Fred Glass, I'd be making that point abundantly clear to him.  

I think Wilson needs time, but if he kept Mallory I'd probably fire him on the spot for industrial grade stupidity.

Like I've been saying all along, they both need to go. 

Well Charlie, maybe you need to back that up with some facts as to why Wilson should go. My reasons he should stay would be that he is a offensive genius, he attracts high quality assistants, and he is attracting a higher level of recruit then any coach since Bill Mallory. Another reason would be, until its obvious that CKW is not the man for the job, jumping back on that 3 year coaching carousel would be another step backwards. On the downside, CKW is a offensive coordinator that is learning to be a head coach. Whether that will be a successful transition, still a bit hard to tell, but I see no reason to jump in and change head coaches again. So if you have any solid reasons for his dismissal, throw them out there.

Well Charlie, maybe you need to back that up with some facts as to why Wilson should go. My reasons he should stay would be that he is a offensive genius, he attracts high quality assistants, and he is attracting a higher level of recruit then any coach since Bill Mallory. Another reason would be, until its obvious that CKW is not the man for the job, jumping back on that 3 year coaching carousel would be another step backwards. On the downside, CKW is a offensive coordinator that is learning to be a head coach. Whether that will be a successful transition, still a bit hard to tell, but I see no reason to jump in and change head coaches again. So if you have any solid reasons for his dismissal, throw them out there.

1218020.jpg

1218020.jpg

Well, that doesn't help my point. Although I will ask this question. Is Mallory a quality assistant as a position coach? Or was it simply a mistake to make him a DC? However, I would say that CKW has brought some excellent assistants to IU, despite Mallory.

Mallory has to go, but I just don't think Wilson is the man for the HC job, our offense was inconsistent last year. I think CKW would be a good OC just not a good HC imo. 

It had some struggles, but most of the time it did more than enough to get a W.  You simply cannot expect an offense to always run flawlessly or score on every possession.

Mallory has to go, but I just don't think Wilson is the man for the HC job, our offense was inconsistent last year. I think CKW would be a good OC just not a good HC imo. 

I think some of that could be seen as him trying to compensate for the defense. About midway through the season we saw sometimes when we would slow down the offense a bit, the perception was to give the defense more of a breather. When we did that there was a clear drop off in the offense's efficiency. I think the offense did have some consistency issues with the tempo changing, though not going to claim I know why we changed the tempo of the offense, given it was the only thing we really had going for us, other than Mitch Ewald. 

I think some of that could be seen as him trying to compensate for the defense. About midway through the season we saw sometimes when we would slow down the offense a bit, the perception was to give the defense more of a breather. When we did that there was a clear drop off in the offense's efficiency. I think the offense did have some consistency issues with the tempo changing, though not going to claim I know why we changed the tempo of the offense, given it was the only thing we really had going for us, other than Mitch Ewald. 

I agree with this. I thought that there was a clear effort to slow down the offense to take some pressure off the defense. It didn't work. The defense still gave up a lot of yardage and a lot of points. And you are right, it actually threw the offense off and lowered offensive productivity.

I think that you will find as you get older that teams, even extremely talented teams, have lapses, bad games, bad judgement, etc. Sometimes I feel if we had this board and were watching the '76 Hoosiers, you would be crying and complaining all season long and calling for players to be benched, encouraged to transfer or just kicked off the team. 32-0 is a perfect record, but the team was not perfect. There is no dumber group of people than teenagers, and that is what our football and basketball teams mostly are. They just flat out screw up, a lot. 

I think that you will find as you get older that teams, even extremely talented teams, have lapses, bad games, bad judgement, etc. Sometimes I feel if we had this board and were watching the '76 Hoosiers, you would be crying and complaining all season long and calling for players to be benched, encouraged to transfer or just kicked off the team. 32-0 is a perfect record, but the team was not perfect. There is no dumber group of people than teenagers, and that is what our football and basketball teams mostly are. They just flat out screw up, a lot. 

IU football's problem isn't "lapses", it's the fact that we suck every year. 

IU football's problem isn't "lapses", it's the fact that we suck every year. 

Exactly. So taking what has developed into one of the top offenses in the country and calling for the head coaches job because of offensive inconsistency doesn't make a lot of sense. And the idea that coaches have 3 years to turn a program around, particularly a perennial doormat like IU, doesn't stop the sucking. There are a very small handful of coaches who seem to have what it takes to do that. You might be right in the end, and CKW is not the right man for the job. But with all its problems, we are seeing year to year improvement (with the exception of the defense), so I would say its a bit early to make that call. Truthfully, CKW might be the right man for the job, but if he doesn't change DC's he probably going to have a hard time getting the W's to back it up.

I personally lean more towards Charlie's side on this(shocking I know). I can honestly say I never know what we're going to get with our offense because one min we'll be amazing and the next we'll look like a pop warner team. I'd give Wilson one more year. If we don't make a bowl game, or show improvement on both sides of the ball I'd hand him his walking papers. While he may be an offensive guy ultimately he is the HC and the defensive struggles fall just as much on him as anyone else.

I personally lean more towards Charlie's side on this(shocking I know). I can honestly say I never know what we're going to get with our offense because one min we'll be amazing and the next we'll look like a pop warner team. I'd give Wilson one more year. If we don't make a bowl game, or show improvement on both sides of the ball I'd hand him his walking papers. While he may be an offensive guy ultimately he is the HC and the defensive struggles fall just as much on him as anyone else.

Which is what would make a decision not to make any changes at DC all that more confusing.