Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierHoopster

Woodson and the HT on his new roster

It will be painful to watch 2 bigs on the floor when you know we have 3 guys (Mgbako, Tucker, Goode) who can legitimately spread the floor at the 4 spot and who are big enough to hang on defense. 

I'm hopeful for the upcoming season- we have a really nice roster....we shall see but like most on here, I really hope Woody can be flexible when it becomes apparent that 2 true bigs on the floor will get you beat by most top 25 teams. 

17 minutes ago, Adillac said:

It will be painful to watch 2 bigs on the floor when you know we have 3 guys (Mgbako, Tucker, Goode) who can legitimately spread the floor at the 4 spot and who are big enough to hang on defense. 

I'm hopeful for the upcoming season- we have a really nice roster....we shall see but like most on here, I really hope Woody can be flexible when it becomes apparent that 2 true bigs on the floor will get you beat by most top 25 teams. 

On the other hand, it’s fair to say that Malik Reneau has been a substantially more effective player than Luke Goode, and is likely a substantially more effective player than a freshman Bryson Tucker.

There’s gonna be a square peg in a round hole somewhere on the court if we want to start our best five.

7 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Maybe improved guard options this year will make the difference. 

Undoubtedly it will. Trey Galloway was a whole different level in how much better he was than our other guards last year. This year? Trey Galloway is probably our first guard off of the bench. That's a major, major difference. Also, if we're going to try to put a square peg in a round hole, at least we're doIng so with one of the best returning scorers in the B1g.

29 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Rice, Karlyle, Galloway, Mgbako, Ballo is probably my ideal closing lineup. Hopefully Reneau works on his shooting. I'm so tired of our feed the post every play offense. 

Ballo and Galloway need to become much better FT shooters to be on the floor end of game crunch time. 

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

On the other hand, it’s fair to say that Malik Reneau has been a substantially more effective player than Luke Goode, and is likely a substantially more effective player than a freshman Bryson Tucker.

There’s gonna be a square peg in a round hole somewhere on the court if we want to start our best five.

Purdue went to the national title game starting two 5's. The difference?

Purdue's 1-3: 199-496 40% from 3

IU's 1-3: 90-292 31% from 3

And Purdue fed the post EVERY.DAMN.TIME down the floor. 

This idea that two "big" men, aka non-40% 3pt shooters, can't co-exist on the floor together is the single worst argument on this forum. Just so mind-numbingly dumb any and every time I hear somebody say it.  

2 hours ago, AH1971 said:

This idea that two "big" men, aka non-40% 3pt shooters, can't co-exist on the floor together is the single worst argument on this forum. Just so mind-numbingly dumb any and every time I hear somebody say it.  

Of course it CAN work.

It’s a little tricky because Malik doesn’t really have a natural position. He’s sure as heck not a 5 defensively, but he's a really good post on offense.

Oh are we talking about Rice and Carlyle now? I thought we were talking about this: "This idea that two "big" men, aka non-40% 3pt shooters, can't co-exist on the floor together is the single worst argument on this forum. Just so mind-numbingly dumb any and every time I hear somebody say it. "

I'm super glad we got an upgrade in guards. I think it will help. 

1 minute ago, Adillac said:

Oh are we talking about Rice and Carlyle now? I thought we were talking about this: "This idea that two "big" men, aka non-40% 3pt shooters, can't co-exist on the floor together is the single worst argument on this forum. Just so mind-numbingly dumb any and every time I hear somebody say it. "

See Purdue in every game they played in last year

48 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

No, the difference was they had a 7'4" generational behemoth in the post. 

Put any other post player in the country on that team and they are no longer a top 10 team. Lots of teams shot better than us from 3pt land and none of them had a 7'4" monster on their team and none of them made the finals, except Uconn. 

I just don't think 2 bigs who aren't shooters or playmakers off the dribble is ideal playing together. You are arguing that my position is totally without reason. 

49 minutes ago, Adillac said:

I just don't think 2 bigs who aren't shooters or playmakers off the dribble is ideal playing together. You are arguing that my position is totally without reason. 

You act like IU, and evidently Purdue, were the only two teams in the country who played two bigs last year. I want to know what fantasy land you are living in? Surround Reneau and Ware last year with competent guards who can dribble and shoot off the bounce and we're a top 25 tournament team the entire year.

Yes, suggesting that playing Ballo and Reneau is a recipe for a ton of losses to top 25 teams considering our major upgrades at the guard position is totally without reason. 

I never said it was a recipe for a ton of losses. In today's game, having two players on the floor who can't shoot or dribble in space confidently is not ideal. How is that anything other than logical? If you scroll up and read I said that a team could still win a lot of games with two bigs on the floor but that my point is it isn't ideal. 

Having two bigs on the floor but one of them can shoot and slash, well that's different now isn't it? My point isn't that tall players are bad. My point is having 2 players on the floor who aren't quick and also can't shoot or dribble to create is not ideal.

50 minutes ago, Adillac said:

I never said it was a recipe for a ton of losses. In today's game, having two players on the floor who can't shoot or dribble in space confidently is not ideal. How is that anything other than logical? If you scroll up and read I said that a team could still win a lot of games with two bigs on the floor but that my point is it isn't ideal. 

Having two bigs on the floor but one of them can shoot and slash, well that's different now isn't it? My point isn't that tall players are bad. My point is having 2 players on the floor who aren't quick and also can't shoot or dribble to create is not ideal.

Why isn't it ideal? Half the teams that finished in the top 10 of the Final AP poll played either two "true" bigs or a 4 man who was either low volume and/or inefficient from 3 which makes your take in fact, illogical. It's just a stupid narrative for people to use as to why they think Mike Woodson can't coach. Our guards collectively sucked last year, nothing more, nothing less. There's more than one way to win a basketball game.

IU wasn't bad because Reneau and Ware played together.....and would have only been that much worse had Woodson staggered their minutes for the sake of playing "modern basketball".

I'm not declaring next year's team is going to be a disaster nor am I declaring anything other than having a 4 with ball handling and shooting skills is better than having a 4 who can't dribble or shoot well. 

The fact that you're taking that and saying it is a stupid narrative is....stupid. 

6 minutes ago, Adillac said:

I'm not declaring next year's team is going to be a disaster nor am I declaring anything other than having a 4 with ball handling and shooting skills is better than having a 4 who can't dribble or shoot well

Tell that to Purdue, Houston, Tennessee, Iowa St, and NC State.