Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUWBB: 24-25 Season - Looking Ahead

We've been so fortunate the past several seasons with some really great players that helped turn our program around  -  Tyra, Ali, Grace & Mack just to name a few.  So where do we go from here?

1. Gone for sure:  Mack & Sara
  2. Sydney’s already announced she’s returning next year.
  3. Chloe’s a senior.  Does she take her COVID year and return?
  4. Yarden will return - hopefully unless the situation in Israel would pull her home.
  5. Wisne?  Not sure if she has a COVID year available or not.
  6. Currie-Jelks?  Can we count on her for next season or do we move on?
  7. Lilly will never be as productive as Mack.  Does CTM recruit over her or do we ride with Lilly in the post?
  8. Lexi will never be a scorer but appears to be a reasonably good defender/rebounder.
  9. How much help should we expect from Lenee and Jules after a year in our program?
  10. Do we have any reason to believe we’ll lose player(s) to the portal?
  11. 2 incoming freshmen --  Sydney Fenn and Faith Wiseman but don’t expect much more from them than we’ve had with Lenee and Jules this year.  Plus CTM’s not big on freshmen playing big minutes.  As good as they turned out to be, Grace Berger only averaged 20 min/gm. as a freshman.  Mack averaged 19 min/gm.

Should we expect to take a step back next season and, if so, how big of a step?

32 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

We've been so fortunate the past several seasons with some really great players that helped turn our program around  -  Tyra, Ali, Grace & Mack just to name a few.  So where do we go from here?

4. Yarden will return - hopefully unless the situation in Israel would pull her home.
  7. Lilly will never be as productive as Mack.  Does CTM recruit over her or do we ride with Lilly in the post?
  8. Lexi will never be a scorer but appears to be a reasonably good defender/rebounder.
  9. How much help should we expect from Lenee and Jules after a year in our program?
  11. 2 incoming freshmen --  Sydney Fenn and Faith Wiseman but don’t expect much more from them than we’ve had with Lenee and Jules this year.  Plus CTM’s not big on freshmen playing big minutes.  As good as they turned out to be, Grace Berger only averaged 20 min/gm. as a freshman.  Mack averaged 19 min/gm.

I expect a step back to a bubble team IF this is the roster. However, Moren has worked magic in the portal. Don't forget Parrish and Scalia both came from portal and were elite right away so could easily find players on that level who contribute big next year. 

To early to know what roster could look like next season. Could be huge step back or as good as now. 

38 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Garzon played huge mins last year. Started every game, I think. She was more advanced than Mackenzie and Grace when she got on campus. 

I expect a step back next year as the conference is only getting stronger with the addition of the Pac-12 programs coming into the B1G and the growth of the middle B1G teams.  Non-conference will get us wins but the conference play, I can see us middle of the pack without some portal pickups.

On to some of your items above:

4) Garzon coming back will be critical to next year.  If she does not come back, then it will be even rougher.

5) Wisne and Mack have been pretty close.  Not sure what her career plans are but it may be hard to come back when your bud has moved on.

6) I would like to think Currie-Jelks can help next year but really have no idea what is going on with her this year or seen enough to get an idea. She performed well at the mid-level, but I wonder if she has the strength needed for to top-level.  We will see if the lifting program works.

7) Lily could get us 10-14 a game next year and should be decent on the boards.  She has gotten stronger but not sure how well she can hang with the true centers.  Curious how she will perform if she is the focus of doubles/collapses.  When teams do face her this year, they typically do not pack the paint on her.

8) I agree that Lexi does not appear to be a scoring threat. I see Lexi in the traditional PG. Facilitate the offense and play tough nose defense. 

9) Lenee and Jules can be solid role players but as of right now, I am not seeing them being at the Sydney/CTM level of play.  Growth can occur over the summer so one can hope.

10) Not sure who we would lose to the portal other than Currie-Jelks.  I do not see Sandvik going anywhere unless she heads home.

Bonus) I do feel that we need to hit the portal this year and it is probably the best time to hit it if we want a chance to bring in some elite players.  There will be lots of minutes to offer up with Mack and Sara graduating.

This is what is operating on somewhat off a thin line is catching up with IU Ladies….IU has elite players and team while at the same time not enough eliteness waiting in the wings….IU Ladies have missed out on some big time targets.

T. Moren and staff have been able to bring in elite players but at the same time not enough elite players are flocking to IU. 
Sidney and Chloe (hopefully not tired) and Yarden all great 

Wisene good if she comes back but not much of a factor and very limited 

Jelks is not working out and physical issues 

Lilly will be lucky to average 10 per game but always good to have wishful thinking.  Much help needed.

Bargesser game at best totally neutralized because she is non scoring threat at this level.

Both, Beaumont and Lamendola role players at best and a couple years away if they are still around and both lack polish and quickness at this level plus haven’t really shown much scoring ability 

Sandvik could be surprisingly solid next year.

IU Ladies need some additional star power for sure with quickness and scoring ability including a best big IU Ladies can get.  (again it will be a challenge for Lilly to average double figures and everything is going to be a challenge for her.  It’s a big step down in talent level).  Also needed is an elite scoring guard.

Finally, Blakes needed.

Question:  is this IU Ladies basketball era peaked or is it going to be able to maintain?  

Brief synopsis of the Moren tenure thru the eyes of this board:

-why is everyone transferring 

- Buss and Cahill graduate, we’re gonna suck next year

-Berger should have went to Louisville

-Patberg, Gulbe and Hilary are graduating, we’re gonna suck next year

The women may take a step back next year, but my money is on Moren having us competing for B1G titles very quickly

33 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

The women may take a step back next year, but my money is on Moren having us competing for B1G titles very quickly

Well, one thing you can say about this board is that we are consistent year in and year out :)

I think the bigger question is how the university can help coach Moren. I think she needs more money for NIL to get higher ranked recruits. We have a great coach who can develop players. Those players will at least provide great depth for future teams, but we need to try to get a few top 10-20 recruits  to push us over the top.  I think we have something special and I hope she's being given the best resources.  

53 minutes ago, Banksyrules said:

I think the bigger question is how the university can help coach Moren. I think she needs more money for NIL to get higher ranked recruits. We have a great coach who can develop players. Those players will at least provide great depth for future teams, but we need to try to get a few top 10-20 recruits  to push us over the top.  I think we have something special and I hope she's being given the best resources.  

Great point 

1 hour ago, johnsoniu said:

Not I said the Fly Guy.  In Moren I trust.  

11 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

12. Coaching,system, and culture needs to be taken into account. The common denominator of us "being fortunate" to have these players who have helped in turning our program around:

Teri Moren

Grace Berger was listed at 5’11” in 2018 and a 5 star at 96 per ESPN.  (height can be listed an inch difference either way).  

Beaumont is a 4 star at 93.

I think the future is bright here. Lexi has really been working on the offense and it is showing. She is flirting her way to being a legit mid-range threat. She is just a menace on the defensive end and rebounds so well for her size. I think both the freshman will be solid next season as well. Beaumont just needs to get stronger. She is crafty and has a nice jumper, but can get pushed around a bit. Jules has got the body and fire for some bully ball from what I see, and her stroke seems solid. No replacing Holmes, but Lilly really improved her body over the summer and she has some tools. Another off season and who knows, she looks like she could get a lot stronger to me. We know what we are getting with Parrish. We need Chloe and Yarden back, of course, but add an athletic 2 that can help break the press, there may not be as much dropoff as it would appear. 

When I watch this team, I think who would not want to play with this group. The Big is full of young talent this year though, so it will get interesting to see how this plays out. For now, we have a few flaws, but what fun team to watch. Here's to putting it to Iowa 2/22!