Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Coach Curt Cignetti to INDIANA

1 minute ago, Crimson and Cream said:

He'll be an NFL HC next season. This is IU football we're talking about here. Not exactly a desirable job.

I know he will but making the point that ARE wouldn't he at the top of my list 

18 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I would hire a guy like Coastal Carolina coach and if he comes here does great and leaves that would mean our program is in good shape. I think a lot of the better coaches started out at smaller programs and moved up. Meyer went to BG then to Utah and then Florida. 

OSU hired Tressell from Youngstown State and it worked out well. 

I see that people wished we kept Deborer over TA and his defense not HC came from a small non power 5 team.

I'd put the chances on us getting the coastal guy at..   -100000% 

1 minute ago, Scotty R said:

I know he will but making the point that ARE wouldn't he at the top of my list 

Love ARE but can't imagine he'd be at the top of mine either. I do wonder though if ARE is in contention to be the Lions next OC when Johnson inevitably leaves after this season.

10 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

There aren’t many 60 year old coordinators and the ones that are out there won’t be getting a call from IU. If IU is hiring a 60 year old, it’s a 60 year old with a proven track record of building a program(s) and winning. If that’s the case, sign me up.

If there are any of those types wanting to come to IU I would have to assume they are bringing baggage with them.  I know we are in the BIG but still.  This program needs a fire starter and some major juice.  IF ARE wants this job sign me up.

4 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Probably right but saying we should look at younger guys who has had success at a smaller program 

Certainly.. I'd still be worried about someone being here for 3 years and leaving, but if we do have success, maybe its worth it. 

I simply detest that route. Again, I understand if we have to do that, though. Wouldn't really complain. 

Just now, IU - Kaulie said:

If there are any of those types wanting to come to IU I would have to assume they are bringing baggage with them.  I know we are in the BIG but still.  This program needs a fire starter and some major juice.  IF ARE wants this job sign me up.

I am glad you're well spoken. They'd think I have duplicate accounts if not. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Certainly.. I'd still be worried about someone being here for 3 years and leaving, but if we do have success, maybe its worth it. 

I simply detest that route. Again, I understand if we have to do that, though. Wouldn't really complain. 

I really don't remember Utah before Urban Meyer but he was successful and left. Ever since then they have been very successful.

Realistically.......... what does IU football really have to lose at this point? We've got a major disparity in basically every category compared with the rest of the B10, not least of which is talent. Plus a million other headwinds. There is not a lot of infrastructure in place to support this program, let alone raise the standard.

You're not getting any top tier coaches regardless - not a "proven winner" or "program builder" on the back end of their career. You're going to have a very tough time convincing someone with decent options to take a gamble on their career with IUFB. Anyone you do convince, is likely treating it as a stepping stone job and best you can realistically hope for, is that they put some of that necessary "hardware" in place (culture is most obvious... but even little things like dietary programs, workout programs, to bigger things like finessing the administration/boosters to help make us more attractive to recruits.... upgrade those facilities already please...). 

If you get that put in place and win a couple games - not a lot - and build recruiting momentum, that is realistically the best you can hope for IMO. And for as long as it takes to build, it can crumble overnight. Having a viable path to program continuity/stability (with a better product on the field) should be part of the planning in a search like this, when you're trying to basically start from scratch.

Coordinators? Probably just as much of a gamble as ARE. An older coordinator coming from a winning program? Highly doubtful. A young up and comer? See above. What do they have on him? Playcalling experience? I think the best player in our program history who played years in the NFL can handle that...

Sure ARE is not a household name for kids these days, but he can still probably relate to them better than 95% of other candidates. He knows Xs and Os well - probably better than most. So I guess the question is do you think he is able/willing to learn the college/program/admin side of things...  because if so, isn't that worth the gamble?

You're going to lose a ton of games no matter who you hire for the next 2-3 years no matter what. We need someone to breathe life into this program again. Realistic options are few and far between. We're already at rock bottom, so if you've got a high upside candidate who can bring excitement to the program and may be inclined to stick around a while, why not give it a shot?

What's the worst that can happen... we stay where we already are for a few more seasons, then move on? No risk no reward. 

I'm not opposed to hiring a "better" candidate than ARE, but I have a hard time imagining us finding one willing to come...

1 minute ago, IU - Kaulie said:

Why? I’d take Willie Fritz, Paul Chryst, or Curt Cignetti in a heart beat if the alternative is ARE. I get the rationale in thinking ARE is going to be our 20 year man like Kirk Ferentz,  but reality as well history suggests we’ll be counting down the days of his buyout before he sees his first recruiting class through.

Give me 5-6 years of a proven winner on top of a proven program builder that leaves the program in a better place than he found it for the next guy all freaking day. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What if ARE walks in Dolsons office tomorrow with a detailed plan of how he envisions he and his staff would make things work at Indiana? Who he wants to hire, what amount of money he needs, etc. 

I would certainly expect him to have exactly that if he wants the job. Will Scott give him everything he needs to have a chance? In my opinion, it’s a lot and it won’t ever happen. So I guess in that scenario I’m still a no.

4 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Sure ARE is not a household name for kids these days, but he can still probably relate to them better than 95% of other candidates. He knows Xs and Os well - probably better than most. So I guess the question is do you think he is able/willing to learn the college/program/admin side of things...  because if so, isn't that worth the gamble?

X’s and O’s better than most? Define most? People who post on here? Sure. Other more qualified coaches who have actually called plays and scheme against actual offenses/defenses week to week? Absolutely not. 

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Give me 5-6 years of a proven winner on top of a proven program builder that leaves the program in a better place than he found it for the next guy all freaking day. 

Yeah, that's the ideal scenario... But if you believe it's a remote possibility one of those guys would come here, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you :farting_smiley:I seriously don't think they'd even pick up the phone for IU... Sad but true. Their agent would screen our calls. Lol.

26 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What if ARE walks in Dolsons office tomorrow with a detailed plan of how he envisions he and his staff would make things work at Indiana? Who he wants to hire, what amount of money he needs, etc. 

I wouldn’t hire a soul who didn’t walk into Dolson’s office without a similar pitch. This isn’t unique.

Edited by IndyResident16

Just now, TeeterInNJ said:

Yeah, that's the ideal scenario... But if you believe it's a remote possibility one of those guys would come here, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you :farting_smiley:I seriously don't think they'd even pick up the phone for IU... Sad but true. Their agent would screen our calls. Lol.

I could think of $4-5 million reasons to pick up the phone, especially Chryst 

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

X’s and O’s better than most? Define most? People who post on here? Sure. Other more qualified coaches who have actually called plays and scheme against actual offenses/defenses week to week? Absolutely not. 

How many of those qualified coaches are likely to have any interest in coaching at IU? 

How many of those coaches exist? We are still talking about a position coach for one of the best NFL teams right now. Give the man his credit.