Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

RaceToTheTop

Two questions

1.  If you were Scott Dolson, what would have to occur for Mike Woodson to be the coach next year?  (I'll cut the middle man short and say 'hell to freeze over' isn't a real answer :) ).

2.  What do you think Scott Dolson's tipping point actually is?

My answers:

1.  IU would have to make the NCAA tournament.  Woodson's not a young guy and there isn't time to wait to see if it gets better in time.

2.  I really have no idea.  My guess is he is going to be more lenient than pretty much any poster here.

1 minute ago, RaceToTheTop said:

My answers:

1.  IU would have to make the NCAA tournament.  Woodson's not a young guy and there isn't time to wait to see if it gets better in time.

2.  I really have no idea.  My guess is he is going to be more lenient than pretty much any poster here.

He is going to be here next year and more than likely the next.   Staff is very deep with some 24 and 25s and they just offered another 24.    You cannot change coaches every 2 years in the recruiting world.   Got to let it play out no matter what your stance is on Woody.    

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

He is going to be here next year and more than likely the next.   Staff is very deep with some 24 and 25s and they just offered another 24.    You cannot change coaches every 2 years in the recruiting world.   Got to let it play out no matter what your stance is on Woody.    

This is out you become a has been, which we basically already are now. However the fan base still has expectations. 

Good grief this is insane. We’ve lost 6 games, the conference is still in play, we’ve beaten the #12 team in the country on the road. You weren’t calling for his head last year when we went on that skid no reason to call for it now. 

Just now, brandct said:

This is out you become a has been, which we basically already are now. However the fan base still has expectations. 

Keep firing coaches every 2 years is just as bad.   Why would any coach with a pulse want to accept a job like that.    

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Keep firing coaches every 2 years is just as bad.   Why would any coach with a pulse want to accept a job like that.    

If you don’t want the job because you are scared of getting fired for failing… you are not the man for the job. Honestly with the portal and the nil this is a new college basketball and it does not take years to rebuild.

2 minutes ago, keato2299 said:

Good grief this is insane. We’ve lost 6 games, the conference is still in play, we’ve beaten the #12 team in the country on the road. You weren’t calling for his head last year when we went on that skid no reason to call for it now. 

I mean during that 6 game skid last year I seen enough to know he was not going to be the answer. I never got hyped up about this year like a lot of people, and kept telling family his coaching would catch up to the team and they would fall apart.

5 minutes ago, brandct said:

If you don’t want the job because you are scared of getting fired for failing… you are not the man for the job. Honestly with the portal and the nil this is a new college basketball and it does not take years to rebuild.

Not about being scared of getting fired but the uphill battle you would put each new coach in on the recruiting trail.    Negative recruiting on every recruiting battle.   Why go to Indiana and spend 4 yours when you don’t even know if your coach will last 2 years.    IU’s is in a tough spot 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Indiana's recruiting class in 2022 was pretty darn good and was just the second year of a staff and the way the portal works now there are always short terms options for the right staff.

That said, I agree that I don't think Woodson will be gone at the end of the year short of seeing IU play as poorly as they have the last ten quarters for the rest of the year.  

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not about being scared of getting fired but the uphill battle you would put each new coach in on the recruiting trail.    Negative recruiting on every recruiting battle.   Why go to Indiana and spend 4 yours when you don’t even know if your coach will last 2 years.    IU’s is in a tough spot 

“Come to Indiana play for me let’s win a title. You know you have the skill and I can assemble a team that’s going to win. If I am not here with the new rules you can walk at anytime without a problem.” As I said with the new portal rules it’s a completely different ball game no sitting out for transferring. If you have played good ball you go to the highest bidder on the NIL.

I agree but I also wonder who the heck commits to this mess unless things turn around? What can we sell besides NIL and B1G program, and Indiana prestige? I mean no basketball head watches us play, and says I want that coach.

Ugly offense, non existent defense. I can’t find the silver lining or the fix.

Once things turn bad, they usually stay bad.

Until we get a legit star of a commitment my mind won’t be changed.

Woodson and staff has been losing non stop recruitments before this debacle on the court.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU hasn't fired anyone in two seasons except Kelvin Sampson (under extenuating circumstances), so I'm not sure why you keep citing the that number.  I agree with you that he likely isn't going to be fired.  But you can check my post history on coaches and you'll see that I've always been the last to the party to feel that a caoch should be fired.  

If IU goes 9-11 in the conference, they'll most likely be in the tournament.  That's where I would put my minimum given the players this team had.  Everyone has their own line in the sand.  Are you saying that if IU doesn't win another game the rest of the year, you would bring back Woodson if you were Dolson?

The staff can be in as deep as they want to with 2024s and 2025s, but if upcoming groups were really buying in we wouldn't see the two man class we have coming with the 23s.  

12 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

If this team continues to play like it has, isn't the negative recruiting tool pretty obvious?

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If this team continues to play like it has, isn't the negative recruiting tool pretty obvious?

Not really.   Most recruits think they are the answer to the problem and are too busy playing Fortnite.     Recruits are not as glued to college basketball as the fans that follow the teams are.    Many stories in the recruiting world where they don’t really follow the schools that are recruiting them.   Most those guys will be gone when they get there anyway 

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

IU hasn't fired anyone in two seasons except Kelvin Sampson (under extenuating circumstances), so I'm not sure why you keep citing the that number.  I agree with you that he likely isn't going to be fired.  But you can check my post history on coaches and you'll see that I've always been the last to the party to feel that a caoch should be fired.  

If IU goes 9-11 in the conference, they'll most likely be in the tournament.  That's where I would put my minimum given the players this team had.  Everyone has their own line in the sand.  Are you saying that if IU doesn't win another game the rest of the year, you would bring back Woodson if you were Dolson?

The staff can be in as deep as they want to with 2024s and 2025s, but if upcoming groups were really buying in we wouldn't see the two man class we have coming with the 23s.  

Me personally I would fire him if that happen but that’s not going to happen especially one their own.  See Ewing 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not really.   Most recruits think they are the answer to the problem and are too busy playing Fortnite.     Recruits are not as glued to college basketball as the fans that follow the teams are.    Many stories in the recruiting world where they don’t really follow the schools that are recruiting them.   Most those guys will be gone when they get there anyway 

If you truly believe kids have that little engagement, then I don't see any issue moving on from coaches quickly.

FWIW, I teach high school and can tell you I haven't heard a kid mention Fortnite in a couple of years.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

If you truly believe kids have that little engagement, then I don't see any issue moving on from coaches quickly.

FWIW, I teach high school and can tell you I haven't heard a kid mention Fortnite in a couple of years.

Wrong age group.   Call of Duty.    They are not engaged with the team which probably have players playing in the games you want them to be engaged about not even  being there when they step on campus they are fully engaged with the Coach that has told them during recruiting I’m going to be your father figure and help you grow as a man.   Big difference between the 2 in my opinion 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

Me personally I would fire him if that happen but that’s not going to happen especially one their own.  See Ewing 

That's all I started the thread for -- to guage tolerance level.  And I'm not the type of guy that believes that having a low tolerance level is necessarily thee correct one to have.

In terms of Ewing, his one run in the Big East tournament in 2020-21 has basically given every Big East team two wins per year for the next two seasons.  Georgetown is probably the most dysfunctional program in the nation and until they move on from the grip of John Thompson and his hand picked coaches, they will keep repeating what you see.