Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan1901

IUMS NCAA Tournament Thread

29 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

How is this on our coach? He just took a team that lacked top end talent to the championship. Their first goal, we had 2 guys in perfect position and they just didn't make the play. Not to mention we missed a complete gimme in the first few minutes of the game.

How isn’t that on the coach? 

28 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

He wasn't close to saving any of the rest of them. I wouldn't say he was terrible but SU clearly had the goalie advantage.

Close doesn’t mean crap. When you are going to a Pk you are basically guessing. You are lucky to even be close. 

His save was more impressive than either of the other guys saves. One of which my 5 year old could have saved 

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

How isn’t that on the coach? 

Close doesn’t mean crap. When you are going to a Pk you are basically guessing. You are lucky to even be close. 

His save was more impressive than either of the other guys saves. One of which my 5 year old could have saved 

Because at some point the players have to make the plays. Our defensive positioning for pretty much the entire tournament was exceptional.

Not sure how you could possibly point fingers at a coach that has made the championship 3 times in 6 years. That is nothing short of incredible when there are 48 teams and anything can happen in a tournament game.

Say you don’t know anything about soccer without saying you know nothing about soccer. Harms was not terrible. PKs have an almost 80% success. First you have to guess where the guy is going to play it. Then you have to get there. 

And that 80% success rate counts one that aren’t on target beyond the control of the keeper.  When on target I bet the e success rate is even higher 

I know quite a bit about Futbol. Lol. Harms played a good game. He was very bad/terrible in Pks. I know the strong advantage is on the striker so, he was awfully unlucky then. He choose wrong side on I think 5 of 7. Maybe 4 of 7. He was leaving very early, partly because he’s small. His save was very nice but was only more impressive because he left early. Anyway. Always tough to lose in PKs. They had some really nice finishes. 3 top shelf. I’ve coached and watched soccer for a long time. Harms had a rough PK.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I know this wasn't one of our better teams, but it just feels like that ninth tournament win is just going to forever dangle over our heads with something squelching it, be it being upset by Marshall, losing to Stanford, or going down with penalty kicks.

I mean, it was a great year, but it's still painful.

23 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I know quite a bit about Futbol. Lol. Harms played a good game. He was very bad/terrible in Pks. I know the strong advantage is on the striker so, he was awfully unlucky then. He choose wrong side on I think 5 of 7. Maybe 4 of 7. He was leaving very early, partly because he’s small. His save was very nice but was only more impressive because he left early. Anyway. Always tough to lose in PKs. They had some really nice finishes. 3 top shelf. I’ve coached and watched soccer for a long time. Harms had a rough PK.

Seriously? It’s a freaking guess. Each keeper had a good save (guess) then we kicked it right to their goalie. This loss had zero to do with Harms.

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I can't claim to know a lot about soccer, but I watched the game. I was a little surprised that the refs allowed Syracuse to push and grab players as much as they did. After a while, I just felt like if that is the way the game was going to be called, IU needed to start playing more that way. 

I thought Syracuse was clearly the better and more aggressive team in the first half, and IU in the second, but it just seemed to me that the Syracuse players had better individual skills than IU. The Syracuse players seemed to have better control the ball than IU did.

All in all, except for the outcome, it was a pretty entertaining game. For a 13 seed to make it to the final is a good accomplishment. Hopefully they can build on it and come back next year.

9 hours ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

I know this wasn't one of our better teams, but it just feels like that ninth tournament win is just going to forever dangle over our heads with something squelching it, be it being upset by Marshall, losing to Stanford, or going down with penalty kicks.

I mean, it was a great year, but it's still painful.

I didn't find this loss painful at all. I thought it was a great game, you lose sometimes. 

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

coming here to blame Yeagley is cheap 

Yeah anyone blaming Yeagley does not know sh**. We got the absolute most out of our guys this tourney. Yeagley has found his groove and puts us in the College Cup conversation every year. We always have a seed, which means every year we have at least an outside shot at a title. 5 college cups including 1 title and 3 runner ups in 13 years, with most of the appearances being recently is insane. We will break through. 

27 minutes ago, BtownStrength said:

Yeah anyone blaming Yeagley does not know sh**. We got the absolute most out of our guys this tourney. Yeagley has found his groove and puts us in the College Cup conversation every year. We always have a seed, which means every year we have at least an outside shot at a title. 5 college cups including 1 title and 3 runner ups in 13 years, with most of the appearances being recently is insane. We will break through. 

There was a BTN special on The Godfather and about the start of IU soccer and all the appearances in the finals before breaking through. Highly recommend watching it.  

I know Todd already has one title

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I didn't find this loss painful at all. I thought it was a great game, you lose sometimes. 

I'm just referring to losing once again, but considering nobody was buying us making it this far, you can easily attribute this season as a success and laying the ground work for the next few seasons. 

1 hour ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

I'm just referring to losing once again, but considering nobody was buying us making it this far, you can easily attribute this season as a success and laying the ground work for the next few seasons. 

It just further solidifies our elite status in this sport. 

Knock the f'ing door down next year, fellas! 

On 12/13/2022 at 11:09 AM, HoosierX said:

Anyone know how we're going to look next year from a personnel perspective?

Honestly, we are likely to have most of our roster back and should be better next year. The only starter we know we’re losing is Herb Endeley who has already said he isn’t going to use his COVID year to come back next year. That’s a decision that Munie, Wittenbrink and Goumbale will have to make because they have that option as well. How those decisions go will have an impact on us obviously. I don’t see any of those three as having guaranteed pro options so my guess is at least 2/3 of them come back especially given the bitter taste of losing number nine on PKs. Just like every sport nowadays, the transfer portal will come into play for IU as well. We haven’t used it as much as other programs simply because we recruit at such a high level - but I’d love to see Todd go out and get a big target #9 similar to how Syracuse did with their two all-American forwards added this year from smaller west coast teams. 

Moral of the story: we’ll be back next year. This was supposed to be kind of a rebuilding year and we made a final. We were generally pretty young. I expect to be better next year and ready for another tourney run. 

2 hours ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

Honestly, we are likely to have most of our roster back and should be better next year. The only starter we know we’re losing is Herb Endeley who has already said he isn’t going to use his COVID year to come back next year. That’s a decision that Munie, Wittenbrink and Goumbale will have to make because they have that option as well. How those decisions go will have an impact on us obviously. I don’t see any of those three as having guaranteed pro options so my guess is at least 2/3 of them come back especially given the bitter taste of losing number nine on PKs. Just like every sport nowadays, the transfer portal will come into play for IU as well. We haven’t used it as much as other programs simply because we recruit at such a high level - but I’d love to see Todd go out and get a big target #9 similar to how Syracuse did with their two all-American forwards added this year from smaller west coast teams. 

Moral of the story: we’ll be back next year. This was supposed to be kind of a rebuilding year and we made a final. We were generally pretty young. I expect to be better next year and ready for another tourney run. 

Thanks