Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Coffee Geek-ery

On 1/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, IUc2016 said:

In need of a nice grinder, wife won't let me splurge just yet. But I love french press and pour over coffee. Not really into espresso drinks, just a straight cup of coffee. Lot's of good local coffee where I am at that keep me happy and stocked. 

You can spend more, but I'd recommend the Breville Smart Grinder Pro (burr grinder) - has like 60 grind setting and they're most accurate, prices about $200.

54 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

You can spend more, but I'd recommend the Breville Smart Grinder Pro (burr grinder) - has like 60 grind setting and they're most accurate, prices about $200.

Agreed—and it can grind for espresso at it’s finest setting —barely.

Looks great too—that can be a spouse friendly thing. I’ve read that they’re not super reliable—lots of digital stuff, but it’s a killer value.

I see them used for under $100 now and then—that’s so much better than a new $100 grinder 

I've been getting my beans from La Vela Roasters in Miami. They are really cost effective, $10 for a single blend 12 oz bag, or even better, $17 for a two pound blend bag. Free shipping for $20+. Roasted and shipped the same day or so it's ordered, and best yet, since I'm in Florida it's only in shipment a day or three.  https://lavelacoffee.com/

Can you really taste the notes with this roaster?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

New set-up for the office and co-workers. All bought on Offer Up: 

Macap 58mm grinder. Five years old $100

Grimac La Valentina Espresso Machine—$375. 20 years old but just got serviced before I got it and pulling GREAT shots with it. You guys who think your wife won’t want a larger machine on the counter should show her this one. It shines up niiiice.

520FF75A-98A9-42FD-8D39-5F9267EA34E4.thumb.jpeg.ff378947f94eeb7608cf2d0ee43ce93e.jpeg

On 1/9/2023 at 9:58 PM, Stuhoo said:

New set-up for the office and co-workers. All bought on Offer Up: 

Macap 58mm grinder. Five years old $100

Grimac La Valentina Espresso Machine—$375. 20 years old but just got serviced before I got it and pulling GREAT shots with it. You guys who think your wife won’t want a larger machine on the counter should show her this one. It shines up niiiice.

520FF75A-98A9-42FD-8D39-5F9267EA34E4.thumb.jpeg.ff378947f94eeb7608cf2d0ee43ce93e.jpeg

What’s mad cool here is that you could stack the coffee appliances vertically, so like you’re in space 

29 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Kidding aside that’s a nice setup. Our firm already has grinders and a coffee maker setup run straight through the under-sink plumbing — but it’s azz. It’s just terrible. Maybe you’ve inspired me here….

Shopping for equipment rocks.

Do. Not. Screw. It. Up.

My mom last Christmas got us a DeLonghi Dinamica Plus Espresso Machine it's nice and I've gotten use to it. I have to have my coffee if I have to wake up for a meeting that could be an email. I also get it at the airport if I either want it or if I'm getting on an early morning flight.

Anyone tried the Cask and Kettle k-cup cocktails?  I haven't yet but they seem interesting.

Five flavors -- 

Irish coffee (76 proof)

Spiked dry cider (50 proof)

Mint patty coffee (75 proof)

Mexican coffee (60 proof)

Hot blonde coffee (74 proof)

Looking for a less expensive option.  I don't roast. I buy only whole bean, usually medium roast. Just drip. Not a fan of k cups.  Best coffee I've had recently is Brazil Sweet Blue from Red Bird in Colorado. They ship immediately after roasting. Tried a French press...not my cup of tea.

Grind my own.   Simple burr grinder. 

If you take it darker, it has lots of semi-sweet chocolate notes.  Medium is more caramel and chocolate.  I drink it black.  I don't really enjoy fruity coffees.  

There's a lot of coffee shops around.  Pettibone, across from the National Museum of the Air Force is really good. I try to stay decaffeinated in the afternoon.  But sometimes will share a mocha-caramel latte with the other half if our motors are running low while exploring somewhere.  

If on a veranda overlooking water and enjoying a breeze...late afternoon.  It's not coffee I would be having.

I like my coffee, in the morning, as the sun rises, on my patio, enjoying the birds chirping and the silent world.

Brazil Sweet Blue Coffee - Red Bird Coffee

20200612_174051.jpg

26 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Have considered roasting.  Let me know how it goes and if it is really worth it.

I've got a couple of pounds of really nice beans to work through before I dive in. I bought this new in box on OfferUp for 1/2 it's list price, so I thought I'd take a flier on it. It roasts 1/2 pound of green beans in ten minutes; 1/2 pound a week is about right for me so I'll be drinking 2-9 day old beans all the time which would be outstanding. I'm optimistic but wondering if it may be more trouble than functional.

2 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Looking for a less expensive option.  I don't roast. I buy only whole bean, usually medium roast. Just drip. Not a fan of k cups.  Best coffee I've had recently is Brazil Sweet Blue from Red Bird in Colorado. They ship immediately after roasting. Tried a French press...not my cup of tea.

Grind my own.   Simple burr grinder. 

If you take it darker, it has lots of semi-sweet chocolate notes.  Medium is more caramel and chocolate.  I drink it black.  I don't really enjoy fruity coffees.  

There's a lot of coffee shops around.  Pettibone, across from the National Museum of the Air Force is really good. I try to stay decaffeinated in the afternoon.  But sometimes will share a mocha-caramel latte with the other half if our motors are running low while exploring somewhere.  

If on a veranda overlooking water and enjoying a breeze...late afternoon.  It's not coffee I would be having.

I like my coffee, in the morning, as the sun rises, on my patio, enjoying the birds chirping and the silent world.

Brazil Sweet Blue Coffee - Red Bird Coffee

20200612_174051.jpg

You should start a landscaping thread because your back patio is pretty special looking!

I'm obsessive about bean shopping - have scoured the internet for my favorite/less expensive choices. Here's what I've learned and know:

1. First and foremost (and you're there)__ you must get beans that are not aged out by the time they arrive. If you're drinking beans that are over about six weeks past roast date quality goes way down. Best case scenario is 'three to twenty days' after roast date to your cup. Do not buy beans based on "sell by" date; only go by roast date.
  2. To accomplish step one, I shop the internet for roasters that are within one day mail of my residence - so in a 100 mile radius.
  3. To keep the price down, find a roaster that does free shipping for orders over $25 or $30. There are plenty of them. For instance, that one pound bag from Red Bird is $15.70; great product and not bad price except for you're paying five bucks shipping for the small order; so $20.70 final price. Buy a five pound bag and shipping is free, so you're down to $66, or $13.00/lb final price. That's a pretty nice price for the exact same stuff.
  4. Find a few roasters that seriously reduce price and shipping for five pound purchases so that you're drinking a new roast every month or two.
  5. Very important if you're not there yet - get a solid grinder. They can be had on OfferUp/Facebook Marketplace for under $200, and every single cup you drink forever more will be better. 
  6. Really good drip coffee makers like Technivorms are also available used for relatively short money - also under $200. A used Technivorm dripper is every bit as functionally good as a new one; your kitchen counter will look great with it there, and quality will immediately rise, especially with those excellent beans.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I've got a couple of pounds of really nice beans to work through before I dive in. I bought this new in box on OfferUp for 1/2 it's list price, so I thought I'd take a flier on it. It roasts 1/2 pound of green beans in ten minutes; 1/2 pound a week is about right for me so I'll be drinking 2-9 day old beans all the time which would be outstanding. I'm optimistic but wondering if it may be more trouble than functional.

Since I do not roast my beans, I have some leading questions about roasting.  I do not enjoy dark roasts as much as medium roasts.  So, if I did roast green coffee beans, that would be to maybe 30 seconds after the last pop of the first crack.  But I really would like to push that into just starting the second crack...maybe.

I think it would be fun and interesting to taste the difference between the roasts.

In your latter post about tips...I searched quite a few sites...easily over 50...and have ordered online at least a dozen which resulted in finding a favorite from Red Bird Roasters.  What is weird is that the first bag was wonderful.  Then, the second bag ordered 4 months later was not as tasty.   Both were delivered to my house priority mail USPS within 3 days of roasting...for $5 shipping for the small bag.  Sure, I could get a big bag shipped free...but, I like to sample around.  And resample...before buying bulk.  

Tried one roaster in FL that was recommended in this thread, I think, but was not enamored with the product.  

My go to coffee from a grocery was a Starbuck's product entitled Brazil medium roast.  Great chocolate notes.  But it was discontinued.  Possibly because of fair trade issues.  And I would much prefer not going to a grocery store and buying a bean that was roasted 4 months ago.  Especially a big chain like Starbucks gives me a nervous tic...for reasons.

I reflect on my Navy days...drinking coffee from huge industrial urns 15 hours after it was brewed. Anything to stay awake at 3 in the morning.   But, compared to my father-in-law, sleeping in a foxhole on Iwo Jima and the cook would send over hot coffee and fresh donuts.  The highlight of his service, I think. At least those weren't instant coffees.

20210726_202843.thumb.jpg.fe6777ab507d6a1421f4f14dd9c1f9c9.jpg

24 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Since I do not roast my beans, I have some leading questions about roasting.  I do not enjoy dark roasts as much as medium roasts.  So, if I did roast green coffee beans, that would be to maybe 30 seconds after the last pop of the first crack.  But I really would like to push that into just starting the second crack...maybe.

I think it would be fun and interesting to taste the difference between the roasts.

In your latter post about tips...I searched quite a few sites...easily over 50...and have ordered online at least a dozen which resulted in finding a favorite from Red Bird Roasters.  What is weird is that the first bag was wonderful.  Then, the second bag ordered 4 months later was not as tasty.   Both were delivered to my house priority mail USPS within 3 days of roasting...for $5 shipping for the small bag.  Sure, I could get a big bag shipped free...but, I like to sample around.  And resample...before buying bulk.  

Tried one roaster in FL that was recommended in this thread, I think, but was not enamored with the product.  

My go to coffee from a grocery was a Starbuck's product entitled Brazil medium roast.  Great chocolate notes.  But it was discontinued.  Possibly because of fair trade issues.  And I would much prefer not going to a grocery store and buying a bean that was roasted 4 months ago.  Especially a big chain like Starbucks gives me a nervous tic...for reasons.

I reflect on my Navy days...drinking coffee from huge industrial urns 15 hours after it was brewed. Anything to stay awake at 3 in the morning.   But, compared to my father-in-law, sleeping in a foxhole on Iwo Jima and the cook would send over hot coffee and fresh donuts.  The highlight of his service, I think. At least those weren't instant coffees.

20210726_202843.thumb.jpg.fe6777ab507d6a1421f4f14dd9c1f9c9.jpg

1. agreed- dark roasts generally suck without lots of milk.
  2. No to Starbucks - that Redbird site looks gooood; may have to try a bag, especially since you got it within three days of roast - that's excellent. Variation in bags? Could be a bunch of things as you're probably aware. 
  3. DANG your back yard is nice!