Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Where does IU Football go from here

5 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

Tom Allen is a goofy middlin DC. Has no business being a HC in the B1G. Dolson will get his chance to replace him in 2 years

Should have told the voters who named him the coach of the year last year. I don't buy that we had an advantage over every other team in a covid year.  Our two biggest wins were at home with no crowds.  Usually to pull of an upset you need that home crowd to help you but we beat both PSU and UM without a crowd.

29 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I get that. He’s perfect for IU and our crappy standards for football. I’m just tired of hearing how some IU fans act like he’s Bear Bryant and Nick Saban all in one. Not saying you are or anyone on here thinks that. But he’s 0-3 in bowl games. His record against above .500 teams is pathetic. They took advantage of a down year in the Big Ten and no fans on the road last season.  I’m guilty for buying the hype this year. Thought this would be a 9/10 win season. This mess is also on the players. Just felt after that beat down in Iowa the season was over and they gave up. I feel bad for the IU fans that went out of their way for this team. They care more about the program than some of the players. 

last thing: please… no more LEO… It was cool at first. But you don’t deserve to do slogans or gimmicks after a likely 2-10 season. I heard it on a commercial a million times last night listening to the basketball game. 

If you don’t like LEO, you might want to stop watching college football because every coach in America has a “mantra”. His just happens to be original and actually mean something, hence it catching on and you hearing a lot about it. 

Just now, IU Scott said:

Should have told the voters who named him the coach of the year last year. I don't buy that we had an advantage over every other team in a covid year.  Our two biggest wins were at home with no crowds.  Usually to pull of an upset you need that home crowd to help you but we beat both PSU and UM without a crowd.

Asterisk year. We returned basically the whole team….. I do give Allen credit for beating 8 teams with losing records the previous year. We’ve had coaches that wouldn’t have done that.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Michigan and Penn State were both terrible last year. Players were going in and out of lineups because of covid protocols. Wisconsin didn’t play for like a month. It was a completely unique year. All that said, you can give last year as much weight as you’d like. The bottom line is we had a chance to prove that last season wasn’t a fluke. We returned most of our starters. We started the year ranked in the top 20. And we crapped the bed. Instead of showing we’re for real, we’re the worst team in the conference. We were down 14-0 to Iowa within the first 2 minutes and 15 seconds of the game, and it’s been all downhill since then. 

Asterisk year. We returned basically the whole team….. I do give Allen credit for beating 8 teams with losing records the previous year. We’ve had coaches that wouldn’t have done that.

Ok. Here is another thing. Our 2022 recruiting class is expected to be ranked 6th in the Big ten. That’s great right?

Well kind of. Look who is ahead of us in the rankings.

1888e70176fd2d9808346930dab8fbc5.png&key=6e0f730cbd073b80dda4002fa48a41f69d0147c3be9ddf7a90298157bbd5004d

We are in one of the toughest divisions in all of football.

Name me a coach that can do what CTA did the last two seasons with the players he had (in comparisons to the other big ten teams)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There’s a big gap between competing for championships and what we’ve done this year. We haven’t beat a single P5 team this year. It’s our worst season in a decade. We got shut out for the first time in 20+ years. We can’t blame it on our schedule when we get blown out at home by a 4-5 Rutgers team. Allen inherited a program in good shape. We went to back to back bowl games the previous two years. Allen has missed a bowl three times in five seasons. Both his 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes were 12th in the Big 10. It remains to be seen how many people in the 2022 class actually sign. He’s 15-26 in the Big 10. 6 of those wins came during an extremely weird covid year playing in empty stadiums. Michigan, Penn State, and MSU all had extremely down seasons. Good on IU for taking advantage of the circumstances, but those circumstances probably aren’t happening again. In his other four seasons, he’s 9-25 in the conference. Is that worth the 4th biggest buyout in college football? Not in my opinion. 

The thing is those recruiting classes you talked about were still some of the higher rank classes IU has had 

I think some of you are just to young to remember what IU football has been.  I am 51 years old and the 8 wins two years ago turf for the most wins in my lifetime.  Last year's 6 conference wins is the most in my lifetime.

I am as upset about this season as anyone but I don't put this all on Allen.

If you just look at the talent on this roster and compare it to other IU teams in the past it is a lot better.

1 minute ago, iubb said:

Ok. Here is another thing. Our 2022 recruiting class is expected to be ranked 6th in the Big ten. That’s great right?

Well kind of. Look who is ahead of us in the rankings.

1888e70176fd2d9808346930dab8fbc5.png
We are in one of the toughest divisions in all of football.

How many of those players have actually signed? Looking at recruiting rankings before classes are finished is pointless.

Allen benefitted from two anomalies. 8 terrible teams on the schedule and the biggest world wide disruption in any of our lifetimes. Strange things happen. I will base his success off the “normal” years and IU ultimately will too. We are right back at the place we were in the early Wilson years.

How many of those players have actually signed? Looking at recruiting rankings before classes are finished is pointless.

That’s not the damn point and you know that.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The thing is those recruiting classes you talked about were still some of the higher rank classes IU has had 

I think some of you are just to young to remember what IU football has been.  I am 51 years old and the 8 wins two years ago turf for the most wins in my lifetime.  Last year's 6 conference wins is the most in my lifetime.

I am as upset about this season as anyone but I don't put this all on Allen.

If you just look at the talent on this roster and compare it to other IU teams in the past it is a lot better.

I honestly really do not care what IU football did 30-40 years ago. We’re not in 1990, we’re in 2021. Stinking it up in the past doesn’t excuse stinking it up in the present. This is the worst season we’ve had in a decade. 

That’s great and all that the recruiting classes are better than previous IU football classes, but we aren’t playing against previous IU football teams. If our classes are still near the bottom of the conference then that’s where we should expect our team to finish. We need to make improvements comparatively against the rest of the conference.

1 minute ago, iubb said:

That’s not the damn point and you know that.

What’s the point then? Playing in the Big 10 East helps us with recruiting. Playing against marquee programs every week is something that’s appealing to recruits when you head into the south or other regions. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I honestly really do not care what IU football did 30-40 years ago. We’re not in 1990, we’re in 2021. Stinking it up in the past doesn’t excuse stinking it up in the present. This is the worst season we’ve had in a decade. 

That’s great and all that the recruiting classes are better than previous IU football classes, but we aren’t playing against previous IU football teams. If our classes are still near the bottom of the conference then that’s where we should expect our team to finish. We need to make improvements comparatively against the rest of the conference.

Also do you watch college football in 2021 because if you did it is an uphill battle for programs like IU to ever win consistently.  No matter what,  the best we can hope for is to finish 4th in our division.  Every year you see the same teams with top 20 classes in the country.  Under Allen IU has been in  the 30's most of the time.

Allen benefitted from two anomalies. 8 terrible teams on the schedule and the biggest world wide disruption in any of our lifetimes. Strange things happen. I will base his success off the “normal” years and IU ultimately will too. We are right back at the place we were in the early Wilson years.

BS. And this is moving the goalposts. We beat more ranked teams last year than anytime in IUFB history. Who gives a crap if the teams we beat were not ranked at the end of the season, the fact is we beat them as they played us when they were ranked.

Any other IUFB team of the past would have gotten the doors blown off of them.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What’s the point then? Playing in the Big 10 East helps us with recruiting. Playing against marquee programs every week is something that’s appealing to recruits when you head into the south or other regions. 

I would bet even if Urban Myer was the coach he would struggle to win over 8 games at IU.  He wouldn't be able to bring in the same level of recruits that he did at OSU or Florida.  Until IU can keep players. like Curry in state we will never get highly ranked out of state players.

If it is so easy to win here then why have I only seen like 9 good years in 51.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also do you watch college football in 2021 because if you did it is an uphill battle for programs lime IU to ever win consistently.  No matter what most years the best we can hope for is to finish 4th in our division.  Every year you see the same teams with top 20 classes in the country.  Under Allen IU has been in  the 30's most of the time.

I do watch college football in 2021. In fact, I watched college football today. I watched IU lose 38-3 against Rutgers. Rutgers is in the same division we’re in. They face the same challenges we face. And they destroyed us today. I’ve also watched Purdue beat two of the ‘unbeatable’ teams in our division this year. Bad teams sit around and make excuses about their schedules. Good teams show up ready to play. 

3 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Like it or not, Tom Allen isn’t going to fire anyone to score style points. Like you said, it’s not going to change much of anything to fire anyone now.

Sure, but firing for style points would have been after week 4 or 5. Doing it now, while I’ll still agree isn’t going to change much, would be more to send a message. And maybe give someone behind that coach a chance to prove themselves in the role. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I do watch college football in 2021. In fact, I watched college football today. I watched IU lose 38-3 against Rutgers. Rutgers is in the same division we’re in. They face the same challenges we face. And they destroyed us today. I’ve also watched Purdue beat two of the ‘unbeatable’ teams in our division this year. Bad teams sit around and make excuses about their schedules. Good teams show up ready to play. 

The same Rutgers program we have beaten 5 straight times.  We also beat those same teams last year that Purdue beat.  Also MSU is not one of those unbeatable teams.

5 minutes ago, iubb said:

BS. And this is moving the goalposts. We beat more ranked teams last year than anytime in IUFB history. Who gives a crap if the teams we beat were not ranked at the end of the season, the fact is we beat them as they played us when they were ranked.

Lol, does Iowa get to pound their chests about beating ranked IU this year then? Who cares that we’re 2-8, by god we were ranked when they beat us! The ‘ranked teams’ we beat finished the year 4-5, 2-4, and 4-3. 

Lol, does Iowa get to pound their chests about beating ranked IU this year then? Who cares that we’re 2-8, by god we were ranked when they beat us! The ‘ranked teams’ we beat finished the year 4-5, 2-4, and 4-3. 

Sure. Then tell me (and ESPN among others) why we have rankings during the season. For any college sport? If we go by your criteria. Why did IUFB go from unranked to ranked last year if you think those wins against ranked teams didn’t mean anything?

I will wait.

9 minutes ago, iubb said:

We returned 19 starters…….and we are the worst team in the league in a normal year with no distractions……you can’t base anything off last year.