Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - SG Jakai Newton to INDIANA

On 3/23/2024 at 11:06 PM, lillurk said:

I hope the extended time recovering has Newton right. He’s one of the big reasons for optimism in the program going forward if so, I think.

I can't share this optimism. Two years of knee issues makes me wonder if he will ever contribute more than spot minutes.

19 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I can't share this optimism. Two years of knee issues makes me wonder if he will ever contribute more than spot minutes.

Maybe, maybe not. I’ve watched lots of guys get past torn ACL’s, meniscus tears, and continue on well. Have also seen one of my favorite young Hoosiers fracture both knees and never be the same player, so unfortunate. Here’s to hoping his body bounces back well.

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Maybe, maybe not. I’ve watched lots of guys get past torn ACL’s, meniscus tears, and continue on well. Have also seen one of my favorite young Hoosiers fracture both knees and never be the same player, so unfortunate. Here’s to hoping his body bounces back well.

I’m not unbiased on Newton. Love him. Great kid. Great family. Maybe my favorite offerree to watch in the last few classes. Before he got hurt he was 1 and 1A with a kid who’s about to be a 1 and done lottery pick. Rooting like hell for him. If het gets back to 90% or better he can change the calculus of this team. If he doesn’t it’s a crying freaking shame because pre-injury Newton was a pro. 

1 minute ago, Demo said:

I’m not unbiased on Newton. Love him. Great kid. Great family. Maybe my favorite offerree to watch in the last few classes. Before he got hurt he was 1 and 1A with a kid who’s about to be a 1 and done lottery pick. Rooting like hell for him. If het gets back to 90% or better he can change the calculus of this team. If he doesn’t it’s a crying freaking shame because pre-injury Newton was a pro. 

Reminds me of the kid I was referring to, Mo Creek, kid torched UK, highest scoring frosh at the time, and then came that first knee injury. Real crying shame, loved his game

16 hours ago, 8bucks said:

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/jakai-newton-could-be-one-of-iu-s-future-leaders-waiting-in-the-wings

quick update. Some video too. Would love for him to stay healthy 

Nice story and he does look fluid and skilled in those short clips. I’m a glass half full guy, I’ll bet on his return and surprise impact.