Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Breaking the 2020 Big Ten Season Into Thirds

Always been a fan of breaking the 18 game schedule down into thirds. Goal being to go 5-1 in each and win the Big Ten or at least go 4-2 and solidly make the tourney. 

@ Maryland

Northwestern

Ohio State

@ Rutgers

@ Nebraska 

Michigan State 

This is tough one either a great opponent at home or a legit opponent on the road in 4 of the 6 games. best case I think is 4-2. 3-3 is going to be hard enough. I’ll go 3-3

Maryland

@ Penn State

@ Ohio State

Purdue

Iowa

@ Michigan 

An even tougher stretch. Every team is some level of legit here except for Iowa really. This is a stretch that could easily be 1-5. I’ll go 2-4

@ Minnesota 

Penn State

@ Purdue 

@ Illinois 

Minnesota 

Wisconsin 

Our best stretch really but still hard to see more than 3 wins here really. 3-3. 

Total record 8-10(This is an optimistic view as well) 19-12. Another season needing a big ten win to go to the tourney and I doubt we get it. 

Always been a fan of breaking the 18 game schedule down into thirds. Goal being to go 5-1 in each and win the Big Ten or at least go 4-2 and solidly make the tourney. 

@ Maryland

Northwestern

Ohio State

@ Rutgers

@ Nebraska 

Michigan State 

This is tough one either a great opponent at home or a legit opponent on the road in 4 of the 6 games. best case I think is 4-2. 3-3 is going to be hard enough. I’ll go 3-3

Maryland

@ Penn State

@ Ohio State

Purdue

Iowa

@ Michigan 

An even tougher stretch. Every team is some level of legit here except for Iowa really. This is a stretch that could easily be 1-5. I’ll go 2-4

@ Minnesota 

Penn State

@ Purdue 

@ Illinois 

Minnesota 

Wisconsin 

Our best stretch really but still hard to see more than 3 wins here really. 3-3. 

Total record 8-10(This is an optimistic view as well) 19-12. Another season needing a big ten win to go to the tourney and I doubt we get it. 

19-12 (9-11) would probably be enough to get in the tournament if that were to happen. The B1G is projected to be the toughest conference again. It would depend on the 9 wins and what the teams we played out of conference did in their conference but for reference Ohio st got in last year with an 8-12 conference record and 1 win against the B1G top 5 teams and their only out of conference win against a tournament team was Cincy. They got in and wasn’t even in the first 4. Just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

@ Maryland
Northwestern
Ohio State
@ Rutgers
@ Nebraska 
Michigan State 

Maryland
@ Penn State
@ Ohio State
Purdue
Iowa
@ Michigan 

@ Minnesota 
Penn State
@ Purdue 
@ Illinois 
Minnesota 
Wisconsin 

We’d end up 9-11 in the B1G with that.

@ Maryland
Northwestern
Ohio State
@ Rutgers
@ Nebraska 
Michigan State 

Maryland
@ Penn State
@ Ohio State
Purdue
Iowa
@ Michigan 

@ Minnesota 
Penn State
@ Purdue 
@ Illinois 
Minnesota 
Wisconsin 

I also enjoy breaking the conference season down to see what is in store and house close we are to it.

@ Maryland
Northwestern
Ohio State
@ Rutgers
@ Nebraska 
Michigan State 

I don’t think Maryland is as good as they appeared early. They have a ton of talent but can lay eggs. I don’t like how we match up with them on the road. If they get hot from deep we could get blasted. If we lockdown on defense we can frustrate them and be in the game late. Also, they get off to slow starts. If they aren’t hitting from outside it’s a game we could be in it late.

We should be Northwestern at home, shouldn’t be close.

O$U will be a good barometer on how we defend our home court in conference play. Carton will probably hit a late three to win it.

We need to take one of two against Rutgers and Nebraska. Rutgers has played some good ball at home and Nebraska will have confidence against us after taking it to OT at home. We really need to defend the outside, if we do I think we win.

4-2 isn’t crazy and would be good news for our tourney hopes. 3-3 would signal squarely in the middle of the Big Ten and on the right side of the bubble. 2-4 would be concerning.

Maryland
@ Penn State
@ Ohio State
Purdue
Iowa
@ Michigan 

We can get Maryland at home. PSU and O$U will be tough on the road. Any and all conference road games will be tough. If we get a road win in this stretch that’ll be huge for our resume.

3-3 would be good during this stretch. We really need to stop Iowa and purdoodoo from going nuts from deep. 4-2 I’d be ecstatic and 2-4 would be concerning.

@ Minnesota 
Penn State
@ Purdue 
@ Illinois 
Minnesota 
Wisconsin 

Can we get hot closing the regular season out? 3-3 would be good defending our home court but getting a road win to go 4-2 would do wonders for our resume. Again 2-4 would be concerning and most likely having us looking to make noise in the BTT to get a ticket to dance.

This season has been pretty bonkers already and the conference season will probably be much of the same. Going .500 in conference would have us dancing but we need to do better. There are plenty of opportunities to show out. Will we? If our guards can look somewhat competent I think we can.

17 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I also enjoy breaking the conference season down to see what is in store and house close we are to it.

@ Maryland
Northwestern
Ohio State
@ Rutgers
@ Nebraska 
Michigan State 

I don’t think Maryland is as good as they appeared early. They have a ton of talent but can lay eggs. I don’t like how we match up with them on the road. If they get hot from deep we could get blasted. If we lockdown on defense we can frustrate them and be in the game late. Also, they get off to slow starts. If they aren’t hitting from outside it’s a game we could be in it late.

We should be Northwestern at home, shouldn’t be close.

O$U will be a good barometer on how we defend our home court in conference play. Carton will probably hit a late three to win it.

We need to take one of two against Rutgers and Nebraska. Rutgers has played some good ball at home and Nebraska will have confidence against us after taking it to OT at home. We really need to defend the outside, if we do I think we win.

4-2 isn’t crazy and would be good news for our tourney hopes. 3-3 would signal squarely in the middle of the Big Ten and on the right side of the bubble. 2-4 would be concerning.

Maryland
@ Penn State
@ Ohio State
Purdue
Iowa
@ Michigan 

We can get Maryland at home. PSU and O$U will be tough on the road. Any and all conference road games will be tough. If we get a road win in this stretch that’ll be huge for our resume.

3-3 would be good during this stretch. We really need to stop Iowa and purdoodoo from going nuts from deep. 4-2 I’d be ecstatic and 2-4 would be concerning.

@ Minnesota 
Penn State
@ Purdue 
@ Illinois 
Minnesota 
Wisconsin 

Can we get hot closing the regular season out? 3-3 would be good defending our home court but getting a road win to go 4-2 would do wonders for our resume. Again 2-4 would be concerning and most likely having us looking to make noise in the BTT to get a ticket to dance.

This season has been pretty bonkers already and the conference season will probably be much of the same. Going .500 in conference would have us dancing but we need to do better. There are plenty of opportunities to show out. Will we? If our guards can look somewhat competent I think we can.

This comment got me thinking. It’s interesting we all seem to be happy with our front court. Yet people still list the guy in charge of our front court (Flint) as one of our teams issues. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

This comment got me thinking. It’s interesting we all seem to be happy with our front court. Yet people still list the guy in charge of our front court (Flint) as one of our teams issues. 

Never been a valid excuse for it either. They just dont like him.

Did you see Archie rip into Brunk in this game and one other (can’t remember which game it was but maybe Notre Dame)? How did Brunk respond to being challenged? I was pretty impressed with how he played the rest of the way in those games.

Now, yesterday against a decent Arkansas team how did our captains respond?! One got ejected for an inexcusable lapse in judgement and the other shot us right out of the game. This team has pieces to win games against similar competition. We’re not talented enough to make boneheaded mistakes and win. We built a lead by playing solid basketball then went away from that.

We’ll have a good conference season if our guards make the right play. TJD will struggle in some games but I think we have enough froncourt depth to make up for an off night. Our guards don’t need to be spectacular just solid. Our FT% will determine a lot too. We can’t be so cavalier at the line. We get two freebies from a tech and our chosen FT shooter barely draws the front of the rim. The right attitude is there to get to the line but the wrong attitude is being used to shoot the FT (or most shots outside of layups).

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Did you see Archie rip into Brunk in this game and one other (can’t remember which game it was but maybe Notre Dame)? How did Brunk respond to being challenged? I was pretty impressed with how he played the rest of the way in those games.

Now, yesterday against a decent Arkansas team how did our captains respond?! One got ejected for an inexcusable lapse in judgement and the other shot us right out of the game. This team has pieces to win games against similar competition. We’re not talented enough to make boneheaded mistakes and win. We built a lead by playing solid basketball then went away from that.

We’ll have a good conference season if our guards make the right play. TJD will struggle in some games but I think we have enough froncourt depth to make up for an off night. Our guards don’t need to be spectacular just solid. Our FT% will determine a lot too. We can’t be so cavalier at the line. We get two freebies from a tech and our chosen FT shooter barely draws the front of the rim. The right attitude is there to get to the line but the wrong attitude is being used to shoot the FT (or most shots outside of layups).

Oh I wasn’t disagreeing just something that popped in my head. I agree about our guard play 

Oh I wasn’t disagreeing just something that popped in my head. I agree about our guard play 

Green would be infinitely better, and our season would be much better off for it, if he would just go for the Tony Gwynn soft liner into the short outfield single every time. That would be enough improvement to go from a bubble team to a solid NCAA tourney team.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Green would be infinitely better, and our season would be much better off for it, if he would just go for the Tony Gwynn soft liner into the short outfield single every time. That would be enough improvement to go from a bubble team to a solid NCAA tourney team.

That has never been his mindset and never will be. I was somewhat shocked when he was named captain.