Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) PF Jalen Washington to UNC

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'm confused.

From what I'm reading, I think he was saying from the numbers that Washington was putting up that it didn't look good for him.

I'll be willing to bet that next season Washington will end up at a prep school and not at West Side.  That happens with a lot of D1 Gary players.  It probably would be best for him as it would help him in terms of playing a less limited number of games as well as getting better medical attention.

Eric Bossi after yesterday's game:  

A five-star prospect in the class of 2022, 6-foot-9 power forward Jalen Washington missed out on his sophomore season due to a knee injury. Now a few games into his junior year, he looks to be back on track and trending in the right direction.

In Gary (Ind.) West Side's win over host Southport, Washington came out and drilled a trio of threes to start off the game before finishing with 23. He is noticeably bigger and stronger since the last time we saw him on the floor. That strength was needed. Not surprisingly, he was also a little timid in the lane or making hard drives as he tests out his knee and wears a big brace. It doesn't look like his lift is back yet, but that will come as he gets back into playing shape. The real takeaway here is how pretty that jump shot looks and what a weapon it could be. Washington has enough size that he can play the four or the five in college and he becomes a real intriguing guy at either spot if that jump shot continues to be so deadly. All in all, it was a very impressive return and one that bodes well for his future.

On the recruiting front, Washington is a heavy Big Ten target and beyond and Indiana, Purdue and Michigan State were schools he mentioned right away and all three have been working him quite hard. Stanford, Illinois and Alabama among others have jumped in recently.

Looking for help on tracking Jalen's high school games. I used to be able to access the sports pages of the nwi.times and chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune but they both now limit all access to subscribers only.  Anyone with a subscription to either that can give us updates on his game stats will be greatly appreciated.  He had a game last night against Hammond Clark and plays again on Saturday against Evansville Reitz.

Eric Bossi on Washington:  https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Five-star-Jalen-Washington-returns-from-injury-Illinois-Indiana-Maryland-Michigan-State-Purdue-Stanford-recruiting-157235656/?fbclid=IwAR2WR3n74v-lcKPjFo-PRS-U_2-6floi7CV-ChTaUOmVSPV9ZJ87DA5qZgA

Indiana: “They do a great job of staying in close contact. They show me new clips of their play. They are installing this new system and they feel like if I work hard that they could really see me fitting in their new system.”

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Eric Bossi on Washington:  https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Five-star-Jalen-Washington-returns-from-injury-Illinois-Indiana-Maryland-Michigan-State-Purdue-Stanford-recruiting-157235656/?fbclid=IwAR2WR3n74v-lcKPjFo-PRS-U_2-6floi7CV-ChTaUOmVSPV9ZJ87DA5qZgA

Indiana: “They do a great job of staying in close contact. They show me new clips of their play. They are installing this new system and they feel like if I work hard that they could really see me fitting in their new system.”

Best part of the article was how it showed that Jalen is a very bright, academically interested , squared-away kid. Anytime we're recruiting against Stanford for a nationally ranked player it makes me happy. Give me Jalen Washington and Avery Brown any day!

Gary West Side made the trip to Evansville to participate in the Bosse Classic but ended up playing Castle because Bosse is in quarantine.  At the half, Castle led 33-17.  What a second half it must have been as Gary came from behind and won 56-55.  Unfortunately, I've not found any stats for Washington.  A really big event in Evansville and there are no game details in the Evansville newspaper.  Bah.

What a game this would have been to watch.   #1 in 4A Lawrence North was down 12 with 4 minutes left to Jalen Washington and Gary West Side and came back to win 61 - 60 and remain undefeated.  Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any game stats for either team.  I did come across this clip of Washington in last night's game.   He's #13.

Embedded video

Gary West Side defeated Lowell 65-53.  I've yet to find any source for details of how Washington's season is going.  The link below is the Lowell game condensed into 16 minutes.  It's pretty much limited to each team's offensive possessions but it does give you a chance to see a little of Washington in an actual game.  I had him for 13 pts. but no idea if that's accurate or not.

Rare opportunity to watch Washington play as Gary West Side thoroughly demolished 21st Century 88 - 39 going on a 21-0 run to open the 3rd Q in the Steel City Showcase.  There were technical difficulties so the stream didn't go live until 6:22 remained in the 2nd Q.  For the game Washington had 16 pts.  From the time the stream became available he was 4-6 on 2s; 2-2 on 3s; 2-2 FT; 8 reb; 3 asst; 1 stl; 3 blks; 2 TO.  Announcers repeatedly said he was 6'9" but his wingspan must surely be 7'.

https://www.facebook.com/regionsports/videos/1021772921565695/

If you don't want to watch Washington's game at least watch the clip below of what took place in the second game of last night's Steel City Showcase between Bowman Academy and Gary Lighthouse.

Yesterday afternoon Gary West Side hosted Indpls. Cathedral and it was a dogfight.  Regulation ended in a 61-61 tie but Gary pulled away in OT for a 71-64 win.  Couple of calls in succession in OT went against Cathedral - not necessarily bad calls - but it caused Cathedral to lose its composure.  Washington finished with 19 pts. on 7-9 FG; 2-2 on 3s; 3-3 FT; 9 reb; 1 asst; 1 stl; 1 blk; 2 TO.

For Cathedral, Tayshawn Comer had 12 pts and 5 assts.  He also had at least 4 TOs all a result of bad passes on his part.

If interested, you can watch the game at

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=121394179802559&ref=watch_permalink