Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

2019 Off-Season IU Roster News and Moves

Just now, brumdog45 said:

I think that part of the issue that the Rob really started getting tentative to shoot threes....and Smith didn't.  I thought Rob passed up a lot of good looks because he lost his confidence.

He stated in interviews he knew he wasn’t right so that makes sense

33 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Agree on Smith. Curious if he becomes the player he thinks he is, if he transfers.

I’m worried about him taking too many minutes again next year. He was all sorts of bad except for about 3 games.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I’m interested in seeing if Smith figures it out. Fish made a comment late in the season in an interview with Dakich, that Smith has better averages than Morgan did as a sophomore. I haven’t looked to see if that was accurate and what stats in particular he was referencing. But he was basically saying don’t give up on him yet. 

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’m interested in seeing if Smith figures it out. Fish made a comment late in the season in an interview with Dakich, that Smith has better averages than Morgan did as a sophomore. I haven’t looked to see if that was accurate and what stats in particular he was referencing. But he was basically saying don’t give up on him yet. 

Not sure what he’s talking about. Morgan was a better scorer/shooter, rebounder and had a better assist to turnover ratio. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Not sure what he’s talking about. Morgan was a better scorer/shooter, rebounder and had a better assist to turnover ratio. 

I don’t know either. I haven’t gone back to see what stats he was referring too. Maybe points per game? Shrug. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Points/game: Morgan 7.7, Smith 8.2

3p %: Morgan 25%, Smith 21.9%

Rebounds: Morgan 5.6, Smith 4.5

Looking at the rest of their stats, they are very similar statistically as sophomores. We shall see if Smith makes the leap that Morgan made. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Points/game: Morgan 7.7, Smith 8.2

3p %: Morgan 25%, Smith 21.9%

Rebounds: Morgan 5.6, Smith 4.5

Looking at the rest of their stats, they are very similar statistically as sophomores. We shall see if Smith makes the leap that Morgan made. 

Morgan had the benefit of a coaching change that brought a play style he could shine in 

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Smith averaged 8.2 ppg as a sophomore, Morgan averaged 7.7.  But overall, Morgan was a little bit better in every other aspect.

Green is the only one of them to shoot 35%, although Al was close. Rob was 31% and Smith was 22%. So no, we don't have shooters to keep teams honest, at least not yet. I'm hopeful that Al and Rob can take steps forward. Smith's shot is broken, so he's only going to get better if he reworks his shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t Rob’s shot fall off after his concussion? If I recall correctly he was shooting 3s at a 40% clip prior. Could be wrong though. I definitely think he can be a capable shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

They shot 35% as a group. If they are taking the 3s that keeps the D honest.  That’s more than a point per attempt. Similar to any 2 point shot short of a dunk or layup. 
Rob was nearly 40% during his non concussed play. 
Al was near 35% 
And Devonte was 41%. 
Thats more than enough to keep teams honest especially if Phinisee and Al can further improve. 
Not to mention Hunter is supposed to be a fantastic shooter. It was a known strength and the staff was even surprised how good he was. 

Sorry, Brass. I asked about Rob’s shooting before I read your post.

Smith, Green, Al and Rob shot 35% plus.  3 are underclassmen. 35% is more than enough to keep a defense honest. 

As I said if there’s a 3 and D wing out there I lm all for adding them. I’m not sure there are many out there though. 

Shooting is an issue. I think the far bigger issue is that we almost never had the tallest guy on the court and sometimes didn’t even have the second tallest. 

What kind of statement is this? You lump Smith, Green, Al, and Rob together and say they shot 35%... Thats insanely misleading. Green was the only guy on this team above 40%, and Al was actually just below 35%. The other two weren’t nearly as accurate.. And as far as number of 3’s made by these four players? 3.9 total per game combined. And these numbers are bolstered by Green’s exceptionally hot shooting coming down the stretch. Nothing about this says IU was anywhere close to keeping teams ‘honest’ from the perimeter in any way whatsoever... I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I’d also like to point out that Green was shooting sub 35% prior to the last 4 games of the conference season.

21 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

What kind of statement is this? You lump Smith, Green, Al, and Rob together and say they shot 35%... Thats insanely misleading. Green was the only guy on this team above 40%, and Al was actually just below 35%. The other two weren’t nearly as accurate.. And as far as number of 3’s made by these four players? 3.9 total per game combined. And these numbers are bolstered by Green’s exceptionally hot shooting coming down the stretch. Nothing about this says IU was anywhere close to keeping teams ‘honest’ from the perimeter in any way whatsoever... I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I’d also like to point out that Green was shooting sub 35% prior to the last 4 games of the conference season.

It’s not misleading it’s a statement of the combined percentage of the people returning. 

Nowhere did I say we kept teams honest I said this is a good enough percent to keep them honest. 

Your inability to correctly read does not make my statement misleading. 

22 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Steph Curry and Andrew Bogut are shooting over 40% from 3 as a group this year.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

It’s not misleading it’s a statement of the combined percentage of the people returning. 

Nowhere did I say we kept teams honest I said this is a good enough percent to keep them honest. 

Your inability to correctly read does not make my statement misleading. 

Yes it is misleading and it's just a lazy analysis.  Plus as mentioned you aren't taking volume into account at all.

Lumping a low volume 20% shooter into a group that is shooting 35% overall is just dumb.  He is not a guy that is keeping the defense honest so what is the point of including him.