Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2021) PG Khristian Lander to Western Kentucky U.

Absolutely right Doc.  No AAU is devastating for every '21 who has his heart set on playing bball at the next level.  While I don't like the overall style of AAU ball, it is an opportunity to see how a kid can compete against players of a higher caliber than what he typically faces in his high school season.  Really important factor for college coaches in their evaluations and who now will have to rely on '19-20 and '20-21 high school stats and game tape for their evaluations.  

Lander playing a competitive AAU slate this summer/spring would have been great for him. I’m really bummed he is going to miss out on that experience and how much he’d gain from it, especially considering his reclass.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Do you think he would have played had he planned to play this fall in Bloomington? I would have been surprised if he risked injury for an AAU season that really did not matter much

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Still once he finalizes his reclass I expected him to change his mind given that he has a clearer plan for the following season. Guess we may never know for sure

Why would he not play against the great competition all summer long?

Let alone he deserves to play in his last AAU season. 

He isn't a SR. These kids can get hurt doing anything. 

If he reclasses then he is effectively a senior. I could see him playing in select tournaments if there were some that he really enjoyed but would not have been surprised had he not played

If he reclasses then he is effectively a senior. I could see him playing in select tournaments if there were some that he really enjoyed but would not have been surprised had he not played

He would of had a decision to make if he reclassified. If he would of wanted to play in the Peach Jam then that would of meant that he would of missed out on the Summer program at IU if everything was normal. If he wanted to get to campus as early as possible then he would of had to skip out on most of the AAU tournaments, if he wanted to play AAU he would of missed out on the summer workouts which for a reclassified freshman would of been a big blow to his preparation for the upcoming season. Since we are not in normal circumstances there is a chance he still misses out on both opportunities this summer.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Why would he not play against the great competition all summer long?

Let alone he deserves to play in his last AAU season. 

I'm not sure when AAU ends, but if he was reclassifying under normal circumstances I would have expected him to report to IU for offseason workouts and some summer classes in June like pretty much the rest of the team does.

Could he fit AAU in along with that, I don't know the answer to that. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure when AAU ends, but if he was reclassifying under normal circumstances I would have expected him to report to IU for offseason workouts and some summer classes in June like pretty much the rest of the team does.

I'm sure he could... and dont they have some sort of a dead period in July anyway? 

Either way.. the reason he wouldnt play AAU shouldnt be because of injury worry. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm sure he could... and dont they have some sort of a dead period in July anyway? 

Either way.. the reason he wouldnt play AAU shouldnt be because of injury worry. 

I'm don't know if there's a dead period over the summer with the current team. There are definitely workout restrictions in terms of hours with the staff. I just think it would be a bit of an odd thing for a current member of the team (which he would be at that point) to play AAU. 

I could be completely wrong though. I'm trying to recall if kids that reclassified in the past, whether IU or other schools, did that? Maybe it's normal, maybe it's not, I'm not sure. 

The minute he enrolled into a summer class for a university would be the end to his AAU career. They wouldn’t allow a college student to play in AAU events. That’s why he would of had a choice to make regarding Peach Jam. If his team qualified for it and he wanted to play he would of had to skip that summer semester of school and summer workouts. If he enrolled in June then he could of played played all AAU events before the summer sessions started. Not going to be a problem now I don’t think

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'm don't know if there's a dead period over the summer with the current team. There are definitely workout restrictions in terms of hours with the staff. I just think it would be a bit of an odd thing for a current member of the team (which he would be at that point) to play AAU. 

I could be completely wrong though. I'm trying to recall if kids that reclassified in the past, whether IU or other schools, did that? Maybe it's normal, maybe it's not, I'm not sure. 

I know that kid we recruited a couple years ago, PG that went to Alabama that reclassified played AAU. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I know that kid we recruited a couple years ago, PG that went to Alabama that reclassified played AAU. 

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly didn't he announcer his reclass really late? I think it was in August. So that would be a different situation, unless Lander was planning to wait that long. 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

The minute he enrolled into a summer class for a university would be the end to his AAU career. They wouldn’t allow a college student to play in AAU events. That’s why he would of had a choice to make regarding Peach Jam. If his team qualified for it and he wanted to play he would of had to skip that summer semester of school and summer workouts. If he enrolled in June then he could of played played all AAU events before the summer sessions started. Not going to be a problem now I don’t think

Great point. Once he's enrolled in summer classes and working out with the team, he's a college player. I believe all of those guys take summer classes when they're in Bloomington over the summer working out.