Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I'm curious if any one else on here has done any genealogy research. I really enjoy doing it.

I have been doing it off and on for years, but really got serious about it 3 1/2 yrs ago when I became disabled and have gone through surgeries. The things I find are so interesting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have. I began to finish what a relative had started years before. I must say that Ancestry online makes it a lot easier now versus 10 years ago. I still had to do a lot of detective work and have run into complete dead ends with other family members, but I’m happy with my progress. I’ve traced my mother’s family back to Scotland and my fathers to England.

It’s gets addicting. I started working on my wife’s line on her fathers side.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah my family has done some genealogy, enough to learn that George rogers and William Clark are direct descendants. They tracked it down to show family at Jamestown from the beginning...the stuff really interests me as well

Sent from my LG-H872 using BtownBanners mobile app

35+ years.  Mine, my wife's, both son-in-laws and surprise gifts for good friends.   More than happy to offer any kind of help, websites, dumb mistakes I've made, etc.   

7 hours ago, theriverpilot said:

I have. I began to finish what a relative had started years before. I must say that Ancestry online makes it a lot easier now versus 10 years ago. I still had to do a lot of detective work and have run into complete dead ends with other family members, but I’m happy with my progress. I’ve traced my mother’s family back to Scotland and my fathers to England.

Ancestry.com is truly a wonderful tool but it's not without it's misinformation so as a word of caution, don't accept everything you find as absolute fact.  

35+ years.  Mine, my wife's, both son-in-laws and surprise gifts for good friends.   More than happy to offer any kind of help, websites, dumb mistakes I've made, etc.   
Ancestry.com is truly a wonderful tool but it's not without it's misinformation so as a word of caution, don't accept everything you find as absolute fact.  

Totally agree with this. I’ve checked a good amount of my findings with other sources when I could. Census information and birth/death records are always helpful with this.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes it is addicting. Ancestry does certainly help, but in order to track down living family, old fashioned detective works best.
Currently I'm researching my sister in law's maternal family. She didn't know a whole lot about her family and my brother asked me to surprise her with it. She is from the Parke County Indiana. So I will be making a trip over there to do some legwork.

Not yet i am debating whether to ask my in laws if i can write their life story as a book and if i do i will have to research theres pretty extensively. 
There life stories are pretty crazy my mother made it out of Manchuria on the last train before the communists overran it. Then she made it out on the last train when the north koreans forces took Seoul. 
My father in law couldnt write his korean name in Korean until he was 15 because the japanese occupation. Then he joined the Korean military literally to get away from the North Korean forces. And it was the only way out. 
That would be interesting.

Yeah my family has done some genealogy, enough to learn that George rogers and William Clark are direct descendants. They tracked it down to show family at Jamestown from the beginning...the stuff really interests me as well

Sent from my LG-H872 using BtownBanners mobile app

In one branch of my family, We found Harry Truman is a 6th cousin twice removed to me. ;)

I agree. I have found some mistakes in Ancestry when I do my legwork. Especially when other Ancestry Trees are used. Spelling can also be a problem. My great grandpa's first wife's maiden is spelled 3 different ways in the 1800s.

On 2/4/2018 at 12:46 PM, iufaninillinois said:

In one branch of my family, We found Harry Truman is a 6th cousin twice removed to me. ;)

I have something similar on my father's side, but with James Dean (the actor, not the sausage king). 

Just found my 8x great grandparents Squire Boone was my 7x great grandfather, making Daniel Boone my uncle waaaaay back (Squire Boone has a pretty interesting history himself!)

I used to be a tour guide at Squire Boone Caverns.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I have a cd with all of my descendants back to 1636 when they came to America. My great great uncle started researching a long time ago, I have since researched where he left off back to the 1100s in wales England. The info back that far begins to get really tricky.

We hit a roadblock with my genealogy. 4x great Grandparent was an orphan and adopted. Have had a hard time figuring out what his actual last name was and who is parents were. Would really like to find out his actual last name since it is the name I still have today.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners