Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FortWayneHoosier

Chris Holtmann named Ohio State Head Coach

Chris Holtmann picked to be new Ohio State men’s basketball coach
By Adam Jardy
The Columbus Dispatch

Posted at 7:56 AM
Updated at 8:08 AM

Ohio State will hold a press conference today at the Fawcett Center to announce Chris Holtmann as its new men’s basketball coach, multiple sources close to the situation have confirmed to The Dispatch.

Holtmann has been the head coach at Butler for the past three seasons, where he has won at least one NCAA Tournament game every year. He will replace Thad Matta, the winningest coach in program history who was fired Monday after 13 years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Solid hire for OSU. If reports are true I dont understand them offering it to McD from Creighton first.

My understanding is that they initially offered Holtmann who turned it down. They then went to McD who turned it down. They then went back to Holtmann with more money.

Where does Butler go now? They have had a pretty good run of hiring very good coaches for a small school. Except for Brandon Miller, an excellent string of coaches actually.

Here's my scenario -- which I totally made up and upon which there is no basis of fact: Brad Brownell to Butler. He's from Indiana (was a high school teammate of Calbert Cheaney) and went to DePauw. He's stuck at a football school that only pretends to be interested in basketball. There was even some question about whether he'd be back next season. Perhaps he wants to get Back Home Again and be top banana at a basketball school. The only thing: I don't know how much Butler was paying Holtmann, so I don't know what they'd be willing to pay. Brownell is making somewhere between $1.2 and $2 million a year (he signed an extension a couple years back that takes him to $2 mil -- just don't know when). ... Then Crean goes to Clemson, where they don't care about basketball and he doesn't have to worry about being top dog. He can make the NCAAs once every four or five seasons and everybody's happy. LOL! 

I'd have to say that OSU got a solid coach and it's a good thing they have a big budget.  They're still paying Matta for 2 or 3 years, Holtmann has a decent buyout and if they had to make a second run at him with a bigger check it's probably not chicken feed.