Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

2 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Agree. When you have 90% of the top 10% of talent in a league on one team they will most often win and don't need the "help". This also is why I think Ryan Day is mediocre to bad as a coach. He has all of this talent and yet his teams struggle way more than they should at times.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Don't know if I can agree with you about Ryan Day. He took a decent Minnesota team's best shot on the road, made halftime adjustments, and won by two touchdowns. Harbaugh (and others) also have "all the talent," but haven't gotten the results Day has.

Day is now 24-2 as a head coach.

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I've done some refereeing and umpiring, and I have a hard time with the narrative that on-field refs have an agenda for or against any particular team.

Referees are trained and hard-wired to see moving bodies colliding and interacting, and immediately react accordingly. They don't see uniform colors; they see an offensive lineman flinch and they throw a flag, or they see a late hit and throw a flag. When the play ends they attribute it to the uniform and uniform number.

Of course, there are many, many close calls during a game. One can cherry-pick the calls that go a certain team's way and conclude that the refs had 'a favorite', but it's just not so. 

It get some plays are going to go wrong but last nights was not only the wrong call but then OSU got the ball. 

16 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

It’s almost as if Ohio State kicks everyone’s @$$ because they have better players than everyone and not because of a cloak and dagger backroom agreement!

A lot of college football (and basketball) officials are bad. They’re bad for everyone and in big moments. Ohio State has never needed any help, didn’t last night, won’t this season, or any other season. 

We literally had a back room deal last year to change the rules to help OSU. So let’s not pretend that people who think it happens are off base here.  

I get why they changed the rules. But they literally saw the rules were not good for OSU so they called a meeting and changed it.  Don’t tell me that attitude just stopped after that meeting 

We literally had a back room deal last year to change the rules to help OSU. So let’s not pretend that people who think it happens are off base here.  

I get why they changed the rules. But they literally saw the rules were not good for OSU so they called a meeting and changed it.  Don’t tell me that attitude just stopped after that meeting 

And it just started from that ruling.

Look, I get that refs “only see players” but their livelihoods depend on continuing to work. They do that by appeasing the conference. The blame isn’t on the officials. It’s on the Big 1.0. They like it a certain way and will maintain it as long as they can.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

It get some plays are going to go wrong but last nights was not only the wrong call but then OSU got the ball. 

Gawd I hate conspiracy theories. The league rule changes from last year's division title eligibility is somehow intertwined with a few roving certified football referees who are "in on it?" and make on-field calls accordingly?!?

Do you have any guess how likely it would be that if there was some "message sent to referees" one of them would leak it, or get the word to someone else who would leak the "fix"?!? That is a 100% likelihood.

GAWD i hate conspiracy theories.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You’re comparing a rules fiasco caused by a global pandemic and refs cheating teams on the field? Ok. 

1 minute ago, Hovadipo said:

IU coaches weren’t even really mad about the B1G title rule change. No one was excited about getting in on a technicality. Sure, they’d take it, but they’d know how they got there and so would everyone else. 

Hova from the top rope!

Tag me in brother!!

I get Stuhoo’s and Hova’s point. I do. Ohio state is the most talented team in the B1G. They don’t generally need help, but sometimes they do. Last nights missed PI calls didn’t hurt them, that’s for sure. Also agree the vast majority of refs do their best to call a fair game. I also believe the B1G has a nice financial incentive to get a team into the college playoff and OSU is our regular front running candidate. From my perspective they get the benefit of the doubt in decisions both on and off the field. How all that works out is anyone’s best guess. In my opinion, they can be both the best team in the B1G and also the “darling” of the conference.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

9 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

You’re comparing a rules fiasco caused by a global pandemic and refs cheating teams on the field? Ok. 

And your ignoring what happened. 

“Backroom deals dont happen”

”What about this back room deal”

“Well obviously not all backroom deals are the same”

The league protects OSU.  Do they need help to dominate the league. Of course not.  But even top teams that dominate can blow games that cost them berths.  The Big 10 Protects them from this. 

But yes let’s pretend back room deals to protect Only Happen in global pandemics.  Because college sports are just rife with integrity  

I’ve been calling it out for YEARS. You just know that random PI call is coming when tackling a receiver with the ball in the air happened for the first 58 minutes or the blatant hold that allows the QB extra time to complete a pass.

Just watch the flipping games.

There need not be any messages sent from the Big 1.0 offices to officials. It has become accepted practice for o$u and others to get “breaks” from Big 1.0 officials.

Have you never been in a working environment with “unwritten rules” that you operated by?!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

16 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

And your ignoring what happened. 

“Backroom deals dont happen”

”What about this back room deal”

“Well obviously not all backroom deals are the same”

The league protects OSU.  Do they need help to dominate the league. Of course not.  But even top teams that dominate can blow games that cost them berths.  The Big 10 Protects them from this. 

But yes let’s pretend back room deals to protect Only Happen in global pandemics.  Because college sports are just rife with integrity  

It wasn’t a back room deal. It happened right out in the open in front of everyone lol. It wasn’t “protecting” OSU. Everyone knows IU didn’t deserve the East spot. It was a dumb rule and they made it right. Try to find another spin. 

Just now, Hovadipo said:

It wasn’t a back room deal. It happened right out in the open in front of everyone lol. It wasn’t “protecting” OSU. Everyone knows IU didn’t deserve the East spot. It was a dumb rule and they made it right. Try to find another spin. 

Lol deciding a rule is dumb after seeing who you would have to hold accountable is like the exact wrong way to be impartial and handle things.  

But let’s also keep ignoring the blatantly wrong call last night to keep a key OSU defender in the game next week.  Sure it’s purely a coincidence 

41 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Agree. When you have 90% of the top 10% of talent in a league on one team they will most often win and don't need the "help". This also is why I think Ryan Day is mediocre to bad as a coach. He has all of this talent and yet his teams struggle way more than they should at times.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Don't know if I can agree with you about Ryan Day. He took a decent Minnesota team's best shot on the road, made halftime adjustments, and won by two touchdowns. Harbaugh (and others) also have "all the talent," but haven't gotten the results Day has.

Day is now 24-2 as a head coach.

A lot of credit has to be given to Urban Meyer for leaving such a silver platter (aka Fields). After watching last night's game, OSU is in big trouble this year. They may lose multiple games in the conference. And I really really like IUFBs chances now, especially being a home game. CTA had to be giddy watching that game last night. Now that all may change if Stroud can somehow turn into the QB prior to him but I just don't see that happening. I've been wrong more times than not so I fully understand I might be eating crow with this post. But I'm feeling pretty good about it.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I’ve been calling it out for YEARS. You just know that random PI call is coming when tackling a receiver with the ball in the air happened for the first 58 minutes or the blatant hold that allows the QB extra time to complete a pass.

Just watch the flipping games.

There need not be any messages sent from the Big 1.0 offices to officials. It has become accepted practice for o$u and others to get “breaks” from Big 1.0 officials.

Have you never been in a working environment with “unwritten rules” that you operated by?!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Exactly refs who make calls against OSU may just stop getting selected for games.  The refs don’t have to be organized into it.  

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Lol deciding a rule is dumb after seeing who you would have to hold accountable is like the exact wrong way to be impartial and handle things.  

But let’s also keep ignoring the blatantly wrong call last night to keep a key OSU defender in the game next week.  Sure it’s purely a coincidence 

I 100% believe if the roles were reversed and OSU was the 1 loss team and IU was undefeated with a clear path to the CFP, but didn’t meet the minimum games number, it would have shaken out the exact same way. If that was some big conspiracy theory, the B1G vote probably wouldn’t have been 13-1. 

And you’re still tinfoil hatting and not admitting referees are just really bad. I’m sure that corner in a notoriously bad OSU defensive backfield was a priority to keep eligible. Warren was even at the game last night. Ever wonder why refs wear earpieces now? Makes you think!

I'm not trying to be a smart @$$--how many of y'all have refereed either basketball or football? I've done a little bit of football and a bunch of hoops.

Until you're on the floor with fast moving action and no instant replay to help decide whether a split second decision is correct, in my opinion you are missing valuable context as to the real and only reasons why calls are missed. It's because:

1. Real time refereeing is really hard,
  2. There are tons of close calls in every game--it's just that only the fourth quarter/close game ones get noticed, and
  3. Some referees aren't especially up to the task.

22 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I 100% believe if the roles were reversed and OSU was the 1 loss team and IU was undefeated with a clear path to the CFP, but didn’t meet the minimum games number, it would have shaken out the exact same way. If that was some big conspiracy theory, the B1G vote probably wouldn’t have been 13-1. 

And you’re still tinfoil hatting and not admitting referees are just really bad. I’m sure that corner in a notoriously bad OSU defensive backfield was a priority to keep eligible. Warren was even at the game last night. Ever wonder why refs wear earpieces now? Makes you think!

I'm guessing that your belief is almost entirely formed by the real, backroom, 'no one is listening so I'm gonna tell the truth' belief of...

The IU Football staff.

I trust their take over any message board comments that effectively cite "anyone can see what is happening" as the primary evidence of referees being biased.

For the conference championship game rule exception, Brass makes a balanced point along the lines of "I can see why they did it." Go with that.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I'm guessing that your belief is almost entirely formed by the real, backroom, 'no one is listening so I'm gonna tell the truth' belief of...

The IU Football staff.

I trust their take over any message board comments that effectively cite "anyone can see what is happening" as the primary evidence of referees being biased.

For the conference championship game rule exception, Brass makes a balanced point along the lines of "I can see why they did it." Go with that.

Here’s my thing. I get why they did it.  But that incentive to do it exists at all time.  It doesn’t go away.  When you only have one team able to be worthy of a NC a league is going g to have to protect it. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here’s my thing. I get why they did it.  But that incentive to do it exists at all time.  It doesn’t go away.  When you only have one team able to be worthy of a NC a league is going g to have to protect it. 

And last year that team was Ohio State.