Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

How many times do we have to see that Aird is not the right guy it appears? 

Made some progress last year and now team is as bad as it was since Ashley Benson left a decade ago and has gone in complete reverse. We have now blown two games against both Maryland and Iowa who are the peers we need to jump over first before we think about competing with anyone else.

Amazing that Aird left Maryland and now cannot beat them and twice has blown massive leads. Yes I know he is not playing but team looks so nervous in close matches and that is 100% on the coach. 

You had IU vs. Maryland in Soccer in match up of the elites in the conference and IU stayed composed on a frustrating night and got the win. Volleyball in the matchup of cellar dwellers blows its fifth game this year.

I want to make it clear I really like most of Glass' hires in Olympic sports and I see the good things they are doing with the programs but this one appears to have been a real miss and its the one I was most skeptical of when it was made. 

It seemed like Maryland had better size up front. They blocked or seemed to have hands on a ton of IU shots while IU wasn’t able to disrupt as many shots.
IU’s best player was a sophomore, Edwards. Losing Lexi Johnson At 6’5 last year after a promising freshman year last year hurt. I think it’s too soon to throw in the towel on Aird. He’s got a tremendous, top 10 class coming in. I would assume he will also look to add transfers to help fill gaps.
It’s been a frustrating year for them with so many close losses.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well this weekend from a volleyball perspective is quite deflating.  Lost the first 2 sets to O$U 25-21 and 29-27 and trailing in the 3rd set 14-13.

Well, our Hoosiers came back and won the third set 25-21 but lost the fourth set by the same score so O$U wins the match 3-1.

Next up is a Wednesday night visit from Penn State.

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Updated Final Scores

12 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

I’d give Aird another year. I wanted to throw in the towel on Allen, Moren, and so many other coaches in year 2. You can’t fix IU VB in 2 years. They need players. He is landing them.

Fair.

The only thing I would say though is Allen had same record first and second year before breaking through in third year this year.  Moren after a horrible first season had a great team her second year. Aird on the other hand after trending up last year has bad slid this year. The only other coach to do that is Archie Miller.

Both Miller and Aird deserve a fair chance and appear to be the right people based on recruiting but both back slid their second year after decent conference records first year. 

Hoosiers Host No. 8 Penn State Wednesday

Story Links
MATCH NOTES
PARKING INFORMATION
IU Volleyball Quick Buy BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– The Indiana volleyball team will host the No. 8 Penn State Nittany Lions on Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. ET at Wilkinson Hall.

Wednesday November 20
Indiana vs. No. 8 Penn State
8:00 PM ET | Bloomington, Ind.
Live Stats: http://hoosierstats.com
Video ($): https://bit.ly/2QusXWR

Match at Wilkinson Hall (1151 E 17th Street).

Match Time Changes & Parking Information
Due to the basketball game on Wednesday the match time was changed to 8:00 p.m. ET. Additionally, parking in front of Wilkinson Hall will not be available for the match. Click here for more details.

Hoosiers Sign Elite Recruiting Class
Earlier this week IU head coach Steve Aird announced the Hoosiers 2020 signing class. The class features three top-100 ranked players, the most in IU program history and three Under Armour All-Americans, also the most in program history.

"The 2020 class is exceptional and addresses many of the program's needs as we continue to build," IU head coach Steve Aird said. "We have acquired great size and skill, but most importantly we have acquired a group with exceptional character. Their resumes are solid and they received plenty of accolades and recognition, but that is not what is important to them. The group really, truly believes in where we are headed. They care about each other and they want Indiana to have massive success."

Senior day and our women sweep the Spartans 3-0 winning 25-20; 25-23 and 25-22.  

The Indiana volleyball team secured a victory in straight sets in their final home match of the season against conference opponent Michigan State, wining 3-0 (25-20, 25-23, 25-22) on Sunday at Wilkinson Hall.

Key Moments

The Hoosiers went down 14-12 in set one after a 2-0 Michigan State run broke a 12-12 tie, but IU responded with a 3-0 run punctuated by a Jacqui Armer solo block to go up 15-14 and force an MSU timeout.

Michigan State got a point after their timeout to tie the score at 15-15, but another 3-0 Hoosier run featuring consecutive kills by Kendall Beerman forced a second MSU timeout at 18-15. The Hoosiers went on to win the first set 25-20.

MSU was unsuccessful on a challenge in set two that would've given them a 15-14 lead, and the Hoosiers took the lead on a Kamryn Malloy kill instead. IU would add to that point with another Malloy kill and a kill from Hayden Huybers to go up 17-14 and force a Spartan timeout.

MSU used a 3-0 run to erase their 19-16 deficit and tie the score at 20-20. The Hoosiers responded with back-to-back kills from Deyshia Lofton and Jacqui Armer to take a 22-20 lead, and IU would go on to win the second set 25-23.

A Deyshia Lofton kill brought the Hoosiers within one in set three at 11-10, but a 4-0 MSU run put them up 15-10. With the Spartans up 16-11, IU used a 5-0 run that included an ace and a kill from Kamryn Malloy to tie the score at 16-16.

Michigan State went up 19-17 before the Hoosiers recaptured the lead at 20-19 after a 3-0 run highlighted by a Megan Sloan kill. MSU would go back up 21-20, but the Hoosiers would end the third set on a 5-1 run, getting four of their final five points from seniors Kendall Beerman, Deyshia Lofton, and Megan Sloan. The Hoosiers clinched the 3-0 sweep with a 25-22 win.

Notables

The Hoosiers improved to 14-17 overall and 3-15 in Big Ten play. Michigan State fell to 14-14 overall and 5-13 in the Big Ten.

Seniors Kendall Beerman, Megan Sloan, Deyshia Lofton, Hayden Huybers, and Jacqui Armer combined for 38 of the 49 Hoosier kills on Senior Day.

Junior Kamryn Malloy notched nine kills while hitting a career-best .533 (9-1-15). Malloy also added six digs and one ace.

Senior Megan Sloan tied for the Hoosier lead in kills with 10, hitting a career-high .467 (10-3-15). She recorded six kills while hitting a perfect 1.000 in the first set.

Freshman Emily Fitzner contributed a match-high 37 assists. Her 10 digs marked her sixth double-double of the season.

Junior Bayli Lebo recorded a match-high 16 digs, marking the 10th time she has reached double-digits this season.

Redshirt Senior Kendall Beerman was the co-leader in kills for the Hoosiers with 10. She hit .304 (10-3-23).

Senior Deyshia Lofton added eight kills and one block for the Hoosiers, while senior Hayden Huybers added seven kills while hitting .500 (7-0-14).

Up Next
Up next the Hoosiers hit the road for the penultimate game of their season to face conference opponent No. 23 Michigan for a match on Friday, Nov. 29 at 7:00p.m. EST in Ann Arbor.

Indiana Head Coach Steve Aird
"Obviously, we're really, really happy for the senior class. That's seven kids, whether they've been here for a couple months or many years, that have put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into the program. Certainly, in the last 18-20 months that we've been here they've been a huge part of people's energy and excitement going forward.

I was pleased we could honor them by starting all of them; I thought that was a great thing for them to be able to take the court one last time. Obviously, the season's not over; we have matches to play. I'll let them enjoy it today; obviously I'm really happy for them. I'm happy for their families that they can celebrate on Sunday and have a nice senior night at home."

Hoosiers Close Regular Season at No. 22 Michigan, Michigan State

Story Links
MATCH NOTES
BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– The Indiana volleyball team will travel to No. 22 Michigan and Michigan State this week.

Friday November 29
Indiana at No. 22 Michigan
7:00 PM ET | Ann Arbor, Mich.
Live Stats: https://bit.ly/2scPpcL
Radio: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/indiana/

Saturday November 30
Indiana at Michigan State
8:00 PM ET | East Lansing, Mich.
Live Stats: https://bit.ly/2XPkS0p
Video ($): https://bit.ly/2DkrNFq
Radio: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/indiana/

The Win over Michigan State
In their final home match of the season, the Hoosiers earned a sweep over Michigan State on Sunday. The IU senior class combined for 38/49 kills in the match with Kendall Beerman and Megan Sloan each recording 10 kills. Hayden Huybers had seven kills and hit .500 in the match. Freshman Emily Fitzner recorded a double-double with 37 assists and 10 digs. The Hoosiers hit .347 in the match and averaged 16.3 kills per set.

Sophomore Breana Edwards has been selected to the 28-player U.S. Women's Collegiate National Team – Gold Roster, USA Volleyball announced today.

The CNT Gold team, comprised of current collegiate players, will train July 5-12 in Anaheim at the American Sports Centers where they will compete side-by-side with the U.S. Women's National Team as it makes final preparations for the Tokyo Olympic Games.

"This is an outstanding opportunity for Bre to train and compete with the best players in the United States," IU head coach Steve Aird said. "She has made a commitment to develop, put in the work and it certainly shows. Bre is a solid player, fantastic teammate and a wonderful human being." 

Edwards was selected from 214 student-athletes from 95 colleges that participated in the U.S. National Volleyball Team Tryout from Feb. 21-23 at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo.

"I am so honored to get to represent Indiana University this summer with the USA program," Edwards said. "I can't thank my coaches and teammates enough for how they prepared me for this opportunity. I am so excited to train with some of the nation's best players this summer."

Edwards led the Hoosiers with 361 kills in the 2019 season and broke a 21-year old record for kills in a match with 39 against Maryland. Edwards tallied double-digit kills in 18 matches and led the Hoosiers in kills in 20 matches. Edwards led the Hoosiers with 20 kills and a season-high eight blocks in their win at No. 15 Kentucky.

"We are proud that an athlete from IU will represent our program at such a high level," Aird said.  "We wish everyone in the program the very best as they prepare for the 2020 Olympics and beyond."

IU volleyball top-ranked recruit named Nevada Girls Athlete of the Year

IU volleyball commit Tommi Stockham was named the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s Nevada Prep Girls Athlete of the Year last week.

As the No. 32 recruit in the 2020 class, according to PrepVolleyball.com, Stockham became Nevada’s class 4A all-time leader in kills this past season with 1,625 over four years at Bishop Gorman High School. She also tallied 829 digs, 218 blocks and 194 aces throughout her prep career, helping to lead the Gaels to three 4A state titles.

Stockham, IU’s second-highest ranked recruit in program history, earned her second-straight Nevada Gatorade Player of the Year selection in January following a dominant senior season that included a career-high 622 kills and 402 digs.

The Hoosiers, who finished last season with a 3-17 conference record and a 14-19 overall record, enter the upcoming season with the No. 15 recruiting class in the nation. It’s the highest-rated recruiting class in program history.

Stockham headlines IU’s eight-player recruiting class alongside Under Armour All-American’s Leyla Blackwell and Savannah Kjolhede.

SIGNING DAY

An outside hitter from Ontario, Canada @SarisMady

Current member of Canadian Junior National Team

2018 Canadian National Championships All-Star

Training with Canadian National Excellence Program with top 16 junior players

A libero from Fishers, Ind., Carly Mills.

Under Armour All-American

@AVCAVolleyball  All-Region

2X First Team All-State

HSE school record for career digs with over 1, 700

An outside/right side hitter from Westfield, Ind., @kenzie_Daffinee

Under Armour All-American Nominee

All-Region School record for career aces (279) No. 60 on @PrepVolleyball

2021 top 150

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2020/11/11/womens-volleyball-indiana-volleyball-announces-2021-signing-class.aspx

A setter from Fishers, Ind., @CamrynHaworth

No. 75 on @PrepVolleyball  2021 Top 150

2019 AAU All-American

2020 First Team All-State

High school stats: 648 kills, 1180 assists, 149 aces, 176 blocks and 749 digs

image.png.538bf296e95359519bdbdd73b81b5156.png

IU volleyball has finalized its schedule, which be begin Jan. 22 and consist of 11 weeks of Big Ten only competition and 22 matches.

The Hoosiers will play five 2-match series at home, five 2-match series on the road and one split week.

Indiana will open the season at Wilkinson Hall January 22 and 23 by hosting Nebraska.

Home series: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Maryland, Northwestern and Ohio State.
Away series: Rutgers, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan and Illinois.
Split series: Purdue.

The Hoosiers will host Purdue on Feb. 23 and travel to West Lafayette, Ind., for a match against Purdue on Feb. 27. 

The regular season will be from Jan. 22 to April 3. Selections for the NCAA Tournament will be April 4. There will be a 48-team bracket and the final site for the tournament is scheduled for April 23-25.

"We are certainly excited to see the schedule and begin our preparations," IU head coach Steve Aird said.   "My first thoughts go to all the doctors, front line workers and administrators who have worked so hard to put teams in a position to play. There are so many people behind the scenes that have been working tirelessly so that we might have an opportunity to compete."

"Our program is built on gratitude and so we are grateful for the opportunity.  This has been a hard year for so many.  My hope is we learn, grow, compete like crazy and give our school and state something to be proud of."

Consistent with IU Athletics' ongoing efforts to protect the health and safety of students, coaches, staff, spectators and the local community, volleyball matches at Wilkinson Hall - will be played without fans indefinitely. IU Athletics' decision is in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and is consistent with what has transpired on all Big Ten campuses.

Attendance at 2020-21 Big Ten Volleyball matches will be limited to the immediate family of student-athletes, coaching staff, volleyball personnel and members of the team traveling parties.

Match times are still to be determined.

2020-21 Indiana Volleyball Schedule
JAN 22 & 23 Nebraska (Home)
JAN 29 & 30 Rutgers (Away)
FEB 5 & 6 Iowa (Away)
FEB 12 & 13 Wisconsin (Home)
FEB 19 & 20 Penn State (Away)
FEB 23 Purdue (Home)
FEB 27 Purdue (Away)
MAR 5 & 6 Maryland (Home)
MAR 12 & 13 Michigan (Away)
MAR 19 & 20 Northwestern (Home)
MAR 26 & 27 Illinois (Away)
APR 2 & 3 Ohio State (Home)

CORALVILLE, Iowa- The Indiana freshmen trio of Tommi Stockham, Leyla Blackwell and Savannah Kjolhede combined for 47 kills and the Hoosiers recorded 22 team blocks in a 3-2 win (28-30, 25-14, 25-18, 23-25, 15-13) against Iowa on Saturday.

KEY MOMENTS
• The Hoosiers jumped out to a 5-2 lead in the first set after a block by Breana Edwards and Leyla Blackwell.
• Iowa answered with a 5-0 run to take a 7-5 lead in the opening set.
• A block assist by Morgan Geddes and Blackwell put Indiana up 26-25 and a kill by Edwards put the Hoosiers up 27-26, but Indiana could not convert the set points and Iowa won the opening set, 30-28.
• Iowa led 9-5 in the second set.
• Tied at 13-13, the Hoosiers broke open the second set with a 9-0 run to go up 22-13. After an Iowa point to take it 22-14, Indiana scored the final three points to win the second set 25-14 on a kill from Breana Edwards.
• Indiana scored four of five points to give the Hoosiers a 17-11 advantage in set three. The Hoosiers scored on two blocks and two kills in the spurt.
• The Hoosiers put the third set away with a block assist from Edwards and Savannah Kjolhede.
• With Iowa leading 14-12 in the fourth set, Indiana scored four straight and took a 16-14 lead on a block by Edwards and Kjolhede.
• A block assist from Blackwell and Fitzner put Indiana up 22-19 in the fourth set.
• Iowa scored six of the last seven points in the fourth set to even the match 2-2.
• Trailing 7-5 in the fifth set the Hoosiers scored back-to-back points and tied it on a solo block by Tommi Stockham.
• An Indiana block by Kjolhede and Fitzner put the Hoosiers up 13-12 in the fifth set.
• Up 14-13 in the fifth set, a Breana Edwards kill won the set and the match for the Hoosiers.

NOTES
• Indiana improves to 2-4 on the season. Iowa drops to 1-5.
• The 22 blocks are tied for the second best in a Big Ten match in program history.
• Freshman Tommi Stockman led the Hoosiers with a season-high 26 kills. Stockham added 10 digs for her second straight double-double.
• Freshman Leyla Blackwell tallied 13 blocks, to tie the Indiana program record for blocks in a five-set match.
• Freshman Savannah Kjolhede registered nine kills and hit .467 in the match.
• The first set was tied 17 times.
• In the Hoosiers 9-0 run in the second set, Tommi Stockham had two aces.
• Indiana hit .348 in the second set with 10 kills and held Iowa to a negative hitting percentage, -.138.
• Indiana hit .500 in the fifth set with nine kills and one error.
• Brooke Westbeld had a double-double with 32 assists and 11 digs.
• Haley Armstrong led the Hoosiers with 15 digs and was one of three Hoosiers with double-digit digs.

IU Head Coach Steve Aird
"I thought we battled in all the games tonight. I'm most proud of the level at which we competed. We got great contributions from a lot of people. The blocking was good. It's important to me that we develop into a good blocking team."

UP NEXT
Indiana returns home to home Wisconsin for matches on Feb. 12 and Feb. 13 at Wilkinson Hall.