Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

Analysis: Is Kevin Wilson on the hot seat?

So he was to anticipate that two backup QBs would skedaddle?  That's practically unheard of.

If they left because they were unhappy being backups, he failed to find a guy willing to be a backup till his time came. 

Since its practically unheard of it was probably more likely due to his team management skills

If they left because they were unhappy being backups, he failed to find a guy willing to be a backup till his time came. 

Since its practically unheard of it was probably more likely due to his team management skills

lol  Your fantasy world is amazing...i bet you travel through the mystical seven levels of the Candy Cane Forest, and through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops.

lol  Your fantasy world is amazing...i bet you travel through the mystical seven levels of the Candy Cane Forest, and through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops.

Mature.  Very good example for the board. 

But despite your making light of Wilsons failings, he still failed to construct a well rounded team that could sustain injuries and still be competitive. 

Mature.  Very good example for the board. 

But despite your making light of Wilsons failings, he still failed to construct a well rounded team that could sustain injuries and still be competitive. 

Thanks, I thought it was pretty comical myself!  I guess your single dimensional outlook is what this board really needs.  Good to know.  I'll try to reform my viewpoints to match that of yours.

Thanks, I thought it was pretty comical myself!  I guess your single dimensional outlook is what this board really needs.  Good to know.  I'll try to reform my viewpoints to match that of yours.

Nah I am sure what the board really needs is a moderator that mocks people for having an opinion different than him. 

Yes the assertion that a guy who has a 14-44(High school and College) record as a head football coach might in fact be a bad coach is so ludicrous it should be mocked. 

Clearly his problems as a head coach are the indeed the program itself even though his two predecessors had much more success. 

Nah I am sure what the board really needs is a moderator that mocks people for having an opinion different than him.

Yes the assertion that a guy who has a 14-44(High school and College) record as a head football coach might in fact be a bad coach is so ludicrous it should be mocked.

Clearly his problems as a head coach are the indeed the program itself even though his two predecessors had much more success.

This isn't even the argument at hand. Not at all. Not even close. Stick to the specific argument and we can talk.

This isn't even the argument at hand. Not at all. Not even close. Stick to the specific argument and we can talk.

Dude you are the one who started mocking me versus responding to the post at hand.  And the topic is about Kevin Wilson being on the hot seat.  Seems obvious that his failings as a coach would be on topic in that sort of a discussion. 

14-44 record as a head coach

Failure to build a complete team including depth

Poor hires that led to the worst defense in Big Ten History

Lets not forget the players messing around with drugs. 

Dude you are the one who started mocking me versus responding to the post at hand.  And the topic is about Kevin Wilson being on the hot seat.  Seems obvious that his failings as a coach would be on topic in that sort of a discussion. 

I agree with some of your very valid points, but at the end of the day I am not ready to say fire Wilson. I think you've had enough of him and nothing he does this season will change your opinion of his coaching abilities. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that Wilson is not a bad coach (he's no Urban Meyer but still better than we've had before) and the program is heading in the right direction.

I agree with some of your very valid points, but at the end of the day I am not ready to say fire Wilson. I think you've had enough of him and nothing he does this season will change your opinion of his coaching abilities. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is that Wilson is not a bad coach (he's no Urban Meyer but still better than we've had before) and the program is heading in the right direction.

i think that's where this discussion always hits a dead end. There are some who don't think the program is headed in the right direction and there are others that do. From a pure wins and losses standpoint, it would be hard to make that argument. But in terms of getting yourself to a point where you can be competitive in one of the toughest college football divisions in the country can't be completely discounted either. As I've said before, I'm in the camp that I think the program is headed in the right direction despite the fact that we haven't seen the results yet. But I still think IU, at some level, will have success very soon in football -- with Kevin Wilson as the head coach.

You trying to say Lynch and Hep are better than Wilson?

Hep wasn't around long enough to know but appeared to be good so I can give you that much.

Lynch took over a good team and thoroughly ran it into the ground.  Made seniority the determining factor in playing time and had an entire program full of players that felt entitled.  Had more success but left Wilson with a program in worse shape than when he found it.

Hard to know if Wilson really wanted Mallory on his staff or if it was forced on him due to his dad being the former coach but he at least has addressed the issue and brought in a DC with a history of success.

So he was to anticipate that two backup QBs would skedaddle? That's practically unheard of.

Yes I agree it's unheard of and unfortunate. And it's easy to play MMQB. All I am saying is other programs are able to keep depth. So let's say there was nothing that could be done with Coffman and Tre. I also think there was a mistake not recruiting a legitimate QB prospect in both the 2013 and 2014 classes. Case in point, what happens if Sudfeld gets hurt again? I like Austin King a lot, but it would be awfully nice to have had a QB recruit of his caliber from each the '13 and '14 classes.

Regardless, I am very excited about King and Ramsey as fits in CKW's offense. I just pray Sudfeld can go 12 games healthy.

i think that's where this discussion always hits a dead end. There are some who don't think the program is headed in the right direction and there are others that do. From a pure wins and losses standpoint, it would be hard to make that argument. But in terms of getting yourself to a point where you can be competitive in one of the toughest college football divisions in the country can't be completely discounted either. As I've said before, I'm in the camp that I think the program is headed in the right direction despite the fact that we haven't seen the results yet. But I still think IU, at some level, will have success very soon in football -- with Kevin Wilson as the head coach.

Actually I am very much in the camp this is Wilsons year to prove himself.  I just unlike other people don't think that a Coach should get an extension at the first sign of proving hes not incompetent. 

But we're back to another discussion then. If Wilson and IU have a good season this year, then what do you do? I just don't think you can sit back and not do anything which is what I believe you're suggesting. I just don't think you can recruit with that perceived lack of support from the administration. If this is, as you said, Wilson's year to prove himself, then if he is successful in that you have to acknowledge it in a tangible way.

Yes I agree it's unheard of and unfortunate. And it's easy to play MMQB. All I am saying is other programs are able to keep depth. So let's say there was nothing that could be done with Coffman and Tre. I also think there was a mistake not recruiting a legitimate QB prospect in both the 2013 and 2014 classes. Case in point, what happens if Sudfeld gets hurt again? I like Austin King a lot, but it would be awfully nice to have had a QB recruit of his caliber from each the '13 and '14 classes.

Regardless, I am very excited about King and Ramsey as fits in CKW's offense. I just pray Sudfeld can go 12 games healthy.

IIRC the problem in getting a college ready QB in 2013 and '14 was to due to the fact that we had three proven starters with several years of eligibility left. Made it hard to recruit to that position because recruits looked at it and seen 3 proven guys ahead of them. Diamont was a project. He may be a decent college QB by the time he's done, but he was never intended to play last year. Coffman's transfer was one thing, but Roberson bailing as late as he did, left little opportunity to add a decent prospect last year. We kind of payed for stacking 3 QB's all in the same class. Hoppefully, we are taking one a year from now on and build from there. 

Your first point, I don't even pay much attention to. One season as a HS head coach and you want to include that? That's pretty creative use of statistics. I think the discussion on his record at IU has already been had in this thread.

Second point. Show me a time since Bill Mallory was coach that we've had this much depth? And improving. At this point offensively we seem to be stacking depth up pretty good. Defense is starting to catch up, but that always takes longer than the offense. The only position we may really be hurting this year is at CB.

Third. One poor hire. Doug. I'm with iuswingman on that one. Not sure he didn't get that one pushed on him. Regardless, from what I can see, he seems to have rectified that very well.

Four. Good grief. You just discounted every coach in every sport, at every school with the possible exception of the three time world champion Tiddlywinks team from Little Sisters of the Poor. And I heard the team captain there huffed glue once.

Your first point, I don't even pay much attention to. One season as a HS head coach and you want to include that? That's pretty creative use of statistics. I think the discussion on his record at IU has already been had in this thread.

Second point. Show me a time since Bill Mallory was coach that we've had this much depth? And improving. At this point offensively we seem to be stacking depth up pretty good. Defense is starting to catch up, but that always takes longer than the offense. The only position we may really be hurting this year is at CB.

Third. One poor hire. Doug. I'm with iuswingman on that one. Not sure he didn't get that one pushed on him. Regardless, from what I can see, he seems to have rectified that very well.

Four. Good grief. You just discounted every coach in every sport, at every school with the possible exception of the three time world champion Tiddlywinks team from Little Sisters of the Poor. And I heard the team captain there huffed glue once.

The team captain there "allegedly' huffed glue once. And that was their junior year. They returned to lead them to the world championship as seniors. 

4 pages deep on a football thread... LOVE IT.

Hopefully during the season we will have some longer ones, but it will be because we are winning, not discussing if this is the last year for the coach! :)  Of course it is IU, so every thread we start concerning the two major sports turns into a "time to make a change at the top" thread. 

I was on the Query & Schultz Show on 1260 WNDE AM Friday afternoon talking IU football and Btownbanners (He let me do a shout out a couple of times telling people to sign up by the way) but to your point, he had three basic questions and of course one had to do with Kevin Wilson's future. He asked me on a scale of 1 to 10 just how important was the season to Kevin Wilson's future. And so I basically was able to regurgitate this thread to an extent. But it's true. When it comes to IU football (and even basketball) that's always one of the first questions people will ask. With IU, it's Sudfeld, Kevin Wilson and in today's case Antonio Allen. Oh well. it is what it is.