Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

8 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Quite amusing is the fact I saw an ESPN article today on why Lunardi has Purdoo as the #1 overall seed rather than UConn. Ol Joe coming through again...

Every committee member voted them the #1 overall seed yesterday in the top 16 bracket  reveal.   Purdue was easily the top overall seed 

27 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Quite amusing is the fact I saw an ESPN article today on why Lunardi has Purdoo as the #1 overall seed rather than UConn. Ol Joe coming through again...

They're eye candy to the people who cast votes. They'll probably still get first place votes tomorrow. 

The nice thing about them losing on a Sunday is there's no time for the 5 or so teams ranked right below them to all lose before the polls update again. 

The FS1 game after ours -- Seton Hall at St. John's -- has a female play-by-play announcer and a female analyst. 

Guessing that's happened before for a men's game, but I don't recall ever seeing it. 

Kinda interesting ... 

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

"If I said I was disappointed, that would be the understatement of the year."

"We are so non-athletic that we can't guard anybody without fouling."

"This is the most unenjoyable experience of  my lifetime."

Rick Pitino on 
@StJohnsBBall

I could not have said it better... just change the last two lines to:

Mike Woodson re:
@IndianaMBB

https://x.com/dalydoseofhoops/status/1759378304153321547?s=46

under and he bus.  lol Pitino didn’t hold back 

Seriously though, Ledlum is terrible. Do these coaches know what they are looking for when they scout?

Indiana has him as a primary target. Tenn wanted him, but realized he wouldn’t start. St. John’s wanted him. I watch 10 min of highlight packages and looked at his stats and knew exactly what he was. Baffling.

Woody’s system is so bad. He truly doesn’t understand the analytics. He will never be a big time college success without diametrically changing his systems. Not good.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I watch 10 min of highlight packages and looked at his stats and knew exactly what he was. Baffling.

Honestly, I want to chastise this as fan over analysis. But I did the same. A quick look at his highlights could tell you where and how he got a lot of shots (and you could match what you saw on tape with his stats) and that was against Ivy League defenses—although he did have a nice game against one p5 school, iirc. I was totally confused as to what he was supposed to do at IU to help us.  

He goes to st johns—thankfully—and he’s the same player you saw on tape. I’m not saying one can do this with every prospect (I surely can’t) but he’s one player I did not understand the interest in. 

3 hours ago, Demo said:

I’ll give Woody this, he may be frustrated, but he’s not a freaking child whining about his roster like this. 

Pitino literally told everybody on last year's St. John's team except Joel Soriano to transfer elsewhere and then proceeded to recruit over the scholarship limit to the point of bringing a guy in to play without a scholarship.  He.brought.in.thirteen.players and now complains that they are too slow?  

I believe it was Trilly Donovan who reported that Pitino who forced every player out of his program except for Soriano.  Then take a look at what some of those players are doing elsewhere....

David Jones is averaging 21.6 points and 7.4 rebounds at Memphis and is shooting 40% from three.

Posh Alexander is averaging 11.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, and 5.1 assists at Butler.  

Andre Curbelo finally was granted eligibility at Southern Miss.  Has averaged 13.7 points, 4.9 rebounds, and 4.4 assists in 7 games.

Dylan Addae-Wusu is averaging 8 points, 5.6 rebounds, and 2.2 assists at Seton Hall.

A.J. Storr is averaging 16.5 points, 3.7 rebounds at Wisconsin.

Rafael Pinzon is averaging 11.7 points at Bryant.

O'Mar Stanley is averaging 12.9 points and 6.2 rebounds at Boise State.

Kolby King is averaging 12.0 points and 4.2 rebounds and is shooting 40% from three at Tulane.

He literally ran out of the town the roster that he wanted.

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Seriously though, Ledlum is terrible. Do these coaches know what they are looking for when they scout?

Indiana has him as a primary target. Tenn wanted him, but realized he wouldn’t start. St. John’s wanted him. I watch 10 min of highlight packages and looked at his stats and knew exactly what he was. Baffling.

Woody’s system is so bad. He truly doesn’t understand the analytics. He will never be a big time college success without diametrically changing his systems. Not good.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

In terms of Tennessee wanting him but realized he wouldn't start.....remember that he committed to Tennessee initially on April 19th.  I believe he decommitted shortly after Dalton Knecht committed to the Vols.  So it was more than the Vols just wanting him -- that had him on their roster.

21 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Also Chicago St last game of the year is today.  Since they are an independent no post season tourney for them 

They play IUN (our Gary campus). That's just a few minutes from where I grew up -- took a couple summer classes there years and years ago. Didn't even know they played hoops. 

I listened to an interesting take this morning from Greeny... Greenberg was out, but the team was talking about how the landscape of college sports has changed, and how that may affect how fans react to "their" team. The majority of the "legendary" coaches are gone - dead or retired (Knight, Boeheim, Coach K, Roy Williams, etc)... so there is that loss of a "connection point"... and now with NIL and the transfer portal, we effectively have "free agency" in college sports - especially basketball and football... so in addition to losing the connection to the coaches, we are now seeing a loss of the connection to the players... and not knowing from season to season who will be where, it causes a major disconnect... 

The obvious flip side to that is the fact that I grew up a Hoosier fan, went to IU, and even after moving to Arizona 45 years ago, still consider Indiana my team... and assuming any of the Hoosier players (Malik, MM, Ware) transfer to another school, I would be interested in how they are doing, but would not switch my allegiance... but has this new landscape affected the level of my interest in the Hoosiers or is the current malaise rooted in Woodson, and the way this failed experiment has gone?

I guess I can see it, but curious about what others here think...