Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

50 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And the Tom Crean-iacs at Georgia lose an exhibition to a bottom half of C-USA Charlotte team by 11 points.

Enjoy your last year at UGA Coach Crean.

They'd honestly be stupid to get rid of him. It's Georgia. They should be happy if they win any game in basketball. They are IU in football. At best. Garbage program. And they have somehow with little talent, had a better record every year.

4 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

They'd honestly be stupid to get rid of him. It's Georgia. They should be happy if they win any game in basketball. They are IU in football. At best. Garbage program. And they have somehow with little talent, had a better record every year.

Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee used to feel the same way about their basketball teams. They don't anymore. 

It's the same old thing with CTC--after a few years in any place, he has an awful hard time getting an in-state recruit.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee used to feel the same way about their basketball teams. They don't anymore. 

It's the same old thing with CTC--after a few years in any place, he has an awful hard time getting an in-state recruit.

How many coaches are jumping to go to Georgia? Pearl was a massive risk for Auburn. Tennessee had actually seen success in basketball and way more than Georgia. Alabama had even seen some success and way more than Georgia. Georgia is just awful. 

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

They have had plenty of talent to have better records then they put up the last couple years.   The  better record every year can be explained by setting the bar really low in the first year and finishing 16-16 and 14-12 in his  next 2 years.  Georgia can be an awful program and still expect or try to have a coach that can have a better SEC record then 9-34 in 3 years.  I wouldn’t see anything stupid if Georgia decided to get rid of a coach that threw his players under the bus and said it was his fault they were losing because he kept players left over from the Last coaching staff.   When in year 3 you lose most your team to the transfer portal and you strain the relationship with in-state recruiting I have 0 problem with Georgia moving on.  

9 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

They have had plenty of talent to have better records then they put up the last couple years.   The  better record every year can be explained by setting the bar really low in the first year and finishing 16-16 and 14-12 in his  next 2 years.  Georgia can be an awful program and still expect or try to have a coach that can have a better SEC record then 9-34 in 3 years.  I wouldn’t see anything stupid if Georgia decided to get rid of a coach that threw his players under the bus and said it was his fault they were losing because he kept players left over from the Last coaching staff.   When in year 3 you lose most your team to the transfer portal and you strain the relationship with in-state recruiting I have 0 problem with Georgia moving on.  

As much as I like Tom Crean, I agree with everything you said. 

We all know that Crean likes to play an inordinately easy non-conference record. 

His head coaching record at Georgia has been a disaster, even with some improvement, and even for Georgia:

2018–19 Georgia Conference 2–16 13th  
2019–20 Georgia Conference 5–13 13th  
2020–21 Georgia Conference 7–11 T–10th
  • Couple that sadness with the near unanimous predictions that he will finish 14th (last) in the SEC this year.
  • Add to that Crean signed zero of the 2021 top ten in-state recruits, and has zero of the projected 2022 recruits signed.

Mark Fox preceded him at UGA, and went 77-79 in conference, never finishing lower than 11th. Crean is currently 14-40 in conference and will finish this year with three of his four years there at 13th/14th.

That's incredibly bad, even for a historically bad UGA basketball program.

4 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

It's Georgia. The bar is always low. 

Georgia: 12 NCAA Tourney appearances. Haven't made it out of the 1st round since 2002 and have made the tourney 3 times since then. 

Auburn: legitimately worse than Georgia, and took a risk with Pearl who had been out of coaching for a couple years for cheating. So I guess if Georgia can find the same situation? But not likely. 

Tennessee: Had been to the NCAA tourney 20 times before Barnes. Had success with Bruce Pearl including their only Elite 8. 

Alabama: Had been to 19 tourneys. Not stellar but better than Georgia. 

Basically Georgia is bad. Even by SEC standards, outside of Kentucky. If Georgia was Smart, they'd be happy with NIT goals and waiting for football. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It's Georgia. The bar is always low. 

Georgia: 12 NCAA Tourney appearances. Haven't made it out of the 1st round since 2002 and have made the tourney 3 times since then. 

Auburn: legitimately worse than Georgia, and took a risk with Pearl who had been out of coaching for a couple years for cheating. So I guess if Georgia can find the same situation? But not likely. 

Tennessee: Had been to the NCAA tourney 20 times before Barnes. Had success with Bruce Pearl including their only Elite 8. 

Alabama: Had been to 19 tourneys. Not stellar but better than Georgia. 

Basically Georgia is bad. Even by SEC standards, outside of Kentucky. If Georgia was Smart, they'd be happy with NIT goals and waiting for football. 

Since the bar so low then they need to lock him for a lifetime contract since it’s Georgia.   Lol.   I don’t care how low of a bar a program has or if their program has no history of winning.   If a coach burns bridges in recruiting and the AD is unhappy with a 5-13 sec record with the number 1 overall pick and another NBA talent to go along with a kid that transferred to Kentucky and will likely be a starter for them then I see no problem with them moving on… even if the program bar is low 

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We all know that Crean likes to play an inordinately easy non-conference record. 

His head coaching record at Georgia has been a disaster, even with some improvement, and even for Georgia:

2018–19 Georgia Conference 2–16 13th  
2019–20 Georgia Conference 5–13 13th  
2020–21 Georgia Conference 7–11 T–10th
  • Couple that sadness with the near unanimous predictions that he will finish 14th (last) in the SEC this year.
  • Add to that Crean signed zero of the 2021 top ten in-state recruits, and has zero of the projected 2022 recruits signed.

Mark Fox preceded him at UGA, and went 77-79 in conference, never finishing lower than 11th. Crean is currently 14-40 in conference and will finish this year with three of his four years there at 13th/14th.

That's incredibly bad, even for a historically bad UGA basketball program.

I shorted Crean 5 Sec wins.   I thought it was 9.   Lol 

5 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Since the bar so low then they need to lock him for a lifetime contract since it’s Georgia.   Lol.   I don’t care how low of a bar a program has or if their program has no history of winning.   If a coach burns bridges in recruiting and the AD is unhappy with a 5-13 sec record with the number 1 overall pick and another NBA talent to go along with a kid that transferred to Kentucky and will likely be a starter for them then I see no problem with them moving on… even if the program bar is low 

How many bridges can Georgia basketball have? Half of an old walking bridge that no one is actually allowed to walk on because it was never maintained?

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

How many bridges can Georgia basketball have? Half of an old walking bridge that no one is actually allowed to walk on because it was never maintained?

Since Georgia the state is a hotbed for recruiting in basketball I would say a lot of bridges can be and have been burned

45 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Since Georgia the state is a hotbed for recruiting in basketball I would say a lot of bridges can be and have been burned

Hey--what do Kaleb Banks and Jakai Newton have in common? 

They'll both be playing for "UsedToHaveCreanButGotRidofHim University" and not "The University of MyHomeStateButCreanIsThere."

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey--what do Kaleb Banks and Jakai Newton have in common? 

They'll both be playing for "UsedToHaveCreanButGotRidofHim University" and not "The University of MyHomeStateButCreanIsThere."

But you're thinking in terms as if Georgia is Indiana. That's not the case. Indiana and Purdue have always had a connection to the schools here. What connection could there be for Georgia? It's just not the same there. Not when those kids are going to Florida, Kentucky or wherever. It'd be different if Georgia had any bridges built, but they don't have Jack crap. Kinda like Indiana had in football. 

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

But you're thinking in terms as if Georgia is Indiana. That's not the case. Indiana and Purdue have always had a connection to the schools here. What connection could there be for Georgia? It's just not the same there. Not when those kids are going to Florida, Kentucky or wherever. It'd be different if Georgia had any bridges built, but they don't have Jack crap. Kinda like Indiana had in football. 

If Georgia basketball is Indiana football, then you’re overlooking the fact that Indiana football fired a bunch of buttcheeks football coaches even though the bar was low, coaches weren’t jumping to go there, and they weren’t hauling in top in-state guys. 

Georgia basketball is ass, Tom Crean has been ass there, and he still deserves to get fired if he doesn’t fix it this year. Period. Not even sure what’s arguable about that. 

18 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

If Georgia basketball is Indiana football, then you’re overlooking the fact that Indiana football fired a bunch of buttcheeks football coaches even though the bar was low, coaches weren’t jumping to go there, and they weren’t hauling in top in-state guys. 

Georgia basketball is @$$, Tom Crean has been @$$ there, and he still deserves to get fired if he doesn’t fix it this year. Period. Not even sure what’s arguable about that. 

I don't think we would have fired Wilson without the off the field stuff.