Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The Pacers are not a very physical team. Other than Siakam they avoid contact.

Pretty sure that the only people noticing the refs in this game will be some Pacers hardcore fans; not Pacers players or staff, or anyone else nationally.

Good points. It’s probably normal for a team to average 20+ more free throws than their opponent. 

1 minute ago, KingPG21 said:

Good points. It’s probably normal for a team to average 20+ more free throws than their opponent. 

Watching Purdue this year it would be

18 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

Not really. Boston shot 21 more free throws before we had to start fouling. They have also managed to shoot 11 more 3s so not listening to the bs they are attacking. They weren’t. Not to mention the inbounds turnover was all created by Brown getting away with one of his roughly 30 fouls 

It is, though. The Pacers beat everyone in the building including nthe officials for 47:30. But they gave it away and back into the officials hands. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

When it’s been that many games in a row it’s probably not the referees; it’s the Pacers’ style of play.

Sorry, but BS.

Celtics shot 45 threes today and had 30 free throws.

Pacers shot 35 threes and had 10 free throws.....four in the last minute of overtime when it was irrelevant.

The player you said on the Pacers that seeks contact -- Siakam -- took 23 shots from the field and had.......0 free throws.

Go back to the Knicks game where they called Turner for a 'moving screen'......there was a pick way worse tonight for the Celtics with about a minute to go and no call made.  They reviewed a call where Siakam's jersey was pulled and turned a blind eye.

5 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

It is, though. The Pacers beat everyone in the building including nthe officials for 47:30. But they gave it away and back into the officials hands. 

So basically you are saying the first 47:30 is irrelevant so long as the officials keep a team within range.  ****, let's just start the game with 30 seconds left since the rest doesn't matter.

3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

So basically you are saying the first 47:30 is irrelevant so long as the officials keep a team within range.  ****, let's just start the game with 30 seconds left since the rest doesn't matter.

I don't know where that's coming from at all. I'm saying finish the job and don't fold at the end. Work your @$$ off all game only to hand it back to someone else to decide the outcome for you? Then sure, that first 47:30 becomes irrelevant when you can't close.

Forget officials. The game was ours to finish. Officials were no longer relevant until we let them become relevant again.

2 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

I don't know where that's coming from at all. I'm saying finish the job and don't fold at the end. Work your @$$ off all game only to hand it back to someone else to decide the outcome for you? Then sure, that first 47:30 becomes irrelevant when you can't close.

Forget officials. The game was ours to finish. Officials were no longer relevant until we let them become relevant again.

Except that officials are always relevant until the game ends.  Lots of contact on the inbound play and a textbook illegal screen to get the tying 3 pt shot off.  Can’t use the argument that they never call it because they nail Turner at least once a game.  Kudos to Boston for hitting their free throws though

14 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

And 40 years ago everyone believed Wrestling was real.  NBA fans are just slower to catch up!

Oh, it's been obvious for years that the NBA generally gets what it wants.  If you aren't one of the league darlings or have a player the league wants on the big stage, more calls than not are going to go against you.  It's why I'm not a big fan of the game.  Truth is the Pacers were soooo much better than the Knicks in the series yet 'somehow' it came down to a game seven.

7 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Sorry, but that is complete BS.  How the game is officiated the first 47:30 is completely relevant.  Throw that ball away when you are up 10 points and it's meaningless.  The outcome isn't just decided in the last 30 seconds.

7 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Sorry, but that is complete BS.  How the game is officiated the first 47:30 is completely relevant.  Throw that ball away when you are up 10 points and it's meaningless.  The outcome isn't just decided in the last 30 seconds.

Sorry, but THAT is complete BS.

You play through it until the game is over. They neutralized the entire game's officiating, no matter how poor,  by still being in position to win at the end of the game. If you're going to look at the mistakes they made trying to close and still blame the officiating I don't know what to tell you except quit making excuses. 

I can’t watch the game until tonight, but I did just see the Brown 3 to tie it. Why in God’s name do you not autoswitch the hammer and then foul? I don’t care if they’ve got 5 guys on the floor who shoot it like Trayce, you freaking foul. If that was Carlisle’s design and not Siakem and McConnell brain cramping, and it looked designed, wow. that is just a dead miss by Rick.

8 hours ago, hoopsta007 said:

Except that officials are always relevant until the game ends.  Lots of contact on the inbound play and a textbook illegal screen to get the tying 3 pt shot off.  Can’t use the argument that they never call it because they nail Turner at least once a game.  Kudos to Boston for hitting their free throws though

No. They overcame the officiating and had Boston dead to rights with under 10 seconds to go. BUT:

The back court inbounds play was crap.

Nembhard opted to take the worst option and make a 15ish foot contested pass heading towards Boston's basket.

Use your timeout and reset.

Pass it into the front court where you either come up with the contested ball and forcing Boston to foul, or Boston comes up with the ball 70 feet from their basket and you have the opportunity to foul up 3 with probably 7 seconds or less. And again, there was a timeout to use. 

In the end the Pacers shot themselves and gave us a prime display of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

33 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

No. They overcame the officiating and had Boston dead to rights with under 10 seconds to go. BUT:

The back court inbounds play was crap.

Nembhard opted to take the worst option and make a 15ish foot contested pass heading towards Boston's basket.

Use your timeout and reset.

Pass it into the front court where you either come up with the contested ball and forcing Boston to foul, or Boston comes up with the ball 70 feet from their basket and you have the opportunity to foul up 3 with probably 7 seconds or less. And again, there was a timeout to use. 

In the end the Pacers shot themselves and gave us a prime display of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I agree with you that we shot ourselves in the foot but it would be naive to think that game wasn’t significantly altered by the officials.  Whether it is a few soft calls to give Boston free throws during a Pacer run, a few no calls allowing Boston to stop a Pacer scoring, the refs control everything that occurs on the court.  And even after that bad inbounds play it doesn’t change the fact that Boston set an illegal screen to get open on the three to tie the game (which they called on Turner earlier in the night and all series against New York).  Selective enforcement of the rules is another element of how they control the games.  If you are going to watch the NBA you just have to understand that you are watching WWE in the 80s and approach it as such

1 hour ago, hoopsta007 said:

I agree with you that we shot ourselves in the foot but it would be naive to think that game wasn’t significantly altered by the officials.

I also think both are true. I said it early in the game that Boston was getting away with murder, but personally I don't blame a loss on officiating when there are obvious instances of a team outright blowing it in crunch time. Haliburton (whom I love dearly) just dribbling the ball out of bounds when we were ahead with around a minute left is one that isn't getting mentioned much, but was egregious. Soon after, Siakam goes head down toward the hoop, tries a spin gather and gets cleanly stripped. Two possessions we gave away EARLY in the shot clock, on top of all the other stuff.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

I can’t watch the game until tonight, but I did just see the Brown 3 to tie it. Why in God’s name do you not autoswitch the hammer and then foul? I don’t care if they’ve got 5 guys on the floor who shoot it like Trayce, you freaking foul. If that was Carlisle’s design and not Siakem and McConnell brain cramping, and it looked designed, wow. that is just a dead miss by Rick.

From the few instances I have seen like this, Carlisle does not believe in fouling up 3. Controversial take in today's game, but he sticks to it and got burned. 

1 hour ago, hoopsta007 said:

And even after that bad inbounds play it doesn’t change the fact that Boston set an illegal screen to get open on the three to tie the game.

That scenario doesn't exist if you don't make the mistakes that allow it to occur.

27 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I also think both are true. I said it early in the game that Boston was getting away with murder, but personally I don't blame a loss on officiating when there are obvious instances of a team outright blowing it in crunch time. Haliburton (whom I love dearly) just dribbling the ball out of bounds when we were ahead with around a minute left is one that isn't getting mentioned much, but was egregious. Soon after, Siakam goes head down toward the hoop, tries a spin gather and gets cleanly stripped. Two possessions we gave away EARLY in the shot clock, on top of all the other stuff.

Good comment and completely agree.  

23 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

That scenario doesn't exist if you don't make the mistakes that allow it to occur.

Yes I agree with you that it shouldn’t have happened but it did.  You could also make the argument that if the officiating had been equal we would have been in the bonus and would have shot free throws off of the rebound as opposed to in bounding the ball.

Match fixing/Spot fixing has been going on forever. And there's no federal law restricting it. Professional sports and Vegas have been in bed together for a long time.